Re: Installation with sources or with packages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Installation with sources or with packages
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:26:07PM +0200, nuggets72@free.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need install postgresql 8.X.X on my debian host.
> But someone says me I should use sources files for the install
> and other one says me I should use debian package.
> Does anybody have some "theory" or opinion about the installation of postgresql
> by sources or debian package ?

I pretty much always install the debian package when possible, because
then I know it conforms to the rest of my system, I can install stuff
from the postgresql-contrib package, I can compile stuff against the
postgresql-dev packages and know it works... Config files in /etc/ for
example.

However, something I have done is build my own debian packages. Grab
latest source, copy debian dir over and run dpkg-buildpackage. I rarely
do this but it's a good middleway.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment