Re: OK, this is a - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: OK, this is a
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 03:09:17PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Hi Alvaro,
> >
> > This is a second test with some non US-ACII characters...
>
> FWIW, this appeared fine in Mutt, the raw message has the subject split
> across multiple lines, but Mutt handles that just fine.
>
> My guess is someone's MUA truncates the newline when hitting "reply".

Like Martijn's MUA for example?  Your message has a truncated subject,
at least the copy I got from the list (I was not in Cc: so I didn't get
the original.  Nevermind that I installed the formail trick for
supressing duplicates so I would have gotten only a single copy anyway
...)

But see the archives:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-09/msg00561.php

You'll see that your message's subject has been truncated.

But see Michelle's:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-09/msg00528.php

it's not truncated.

Why the difference?  Not sure.

I downloaded the archives' mbox, and I see there that Michelle's subject
appears as:

Subject: OK, this is a Test =?iso-8859-1?Q?f=FCr_a_?=
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Subject_containing_one_non_ASCII_character_ans_some_more_?=
    =?iso-8859-1?B?bGlrZSDp4fPo4PL05yBbV0FTOiBSZTogW0dFTkVSQUxdIFRoaXMgaXMg?=
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?a_Reply_to_the_message_=22Re=3A_Majordomo_drops_multi-line?=
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?_Subject=3A=22_and_I_produce_a_Subject_lomger_then_80_char?=
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?acters_and_sinc?=
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?e?= the OP is using mutt like me, whats going on here?]

Your message, on the other hand, has this on the archives:
Subject: Re: OK, this is =?iso-8859-1?Q?a?=

Why didn't it truncate Michelle's but did truncate yours?

FYI, I've seen this on my messages (mutt), yours (also mutt), and
Bruce's (elm).  I find it strange that Michelle's mutt didn't do the
same.

Maybe it's not Majordomo at all, but I haven't seen it anywhere else
(for example on lists I am that are managed with Mailman, on spanish,
carrying lots of non-ASCII chars in subjects, I don't think I've ever
seen a truncated subject).