Re: Installation with sources or with packages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brandon Aiken
Subject Re: Installation with sources or with packages
Date
List pgsql-general
I prefer Debian packages wherever possible.  That will provide you with
the easiest manageability in the long run for maintaining updates.  It's
hard to beat "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo
apt-get autoclean" as a complete patch script.

However, keep in mind that Debian Sarge (stable) is currently at
PostgreSQL 7.3.  If you're running Sarge, you'll either have to add Etch
(testing) repositories or download the PostgreSQL packages from Etch
repositories.  Since Etch is nearing release (which could mean anything
in the Debian world) I suspect you won't have any major problems even if
you do this.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer