Re: Installation with sources or with packages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brandon Aiken
Subject Re: Installation with sources or with packages
Date
List pgsql-general
Fair enough.  I've never done it before except with trivial things that
had no dependencies, and I just downloaded the packages with wget.

Another option would be to use Ubuntu server.  That's kinda Debian de
facto, and offers more current packages, IIRC.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: Weerts, Jan [mailto:j.weerts@i-views.de]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 9:49 AM
To: Brandon Aiken; nuggets72@free.fr; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Installation with sources or with packages

> However, keep in mind that Debian Sarge (stable) is currently at
> PostgreSQL 7.3.  If you're running Sarge, you'll either have to add
> Etch (testing) repositories or download the PostgreSQL packages
> from Etch repositories.  Since Etch is nearing release (which could
> mean anything in the Debian world) I suspect you won't have any
> major problems even if you do this.

I prefer Debian on my servers too, but running a mixed mode
system with packages from stable, testing and possibly
unstable will give you major headaches, when software depends
on different library versions or even different libraries than
those already installed on your machine.

Instead try www.backports.org, which offers a lot of
backported packages for stable. Right now their top news is :)

# I'm going to remove postgresql-8.0 from the backports.org
# archive. It's was already removed from Debian, and the last
# version of the Debian package which was available is vulnerable
# to CVE-2006-2313 and CVE-2006-2314, hence the backport is
# also affected.
# Please upgrade to the postgresql-8.1 backport.

Regards
  Jan