Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
"Andrus"
Date:
I want to create editable grid (client application) for large Postgres
table:

At startup this grid show first screenful of records and allows to edit
them.
When user presses page down key, this grid should read next screenful of
records and allow to edit them etc.
PgADMIN tries to read the whole table.

Is there any free toolkit or sample application for this ?

Andrus.

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
Richard Huxton
Andrus wrote:
> I want to create editable grid (client application) for large Postgres
> table:
>
> At startup this grid show first screenful of records and allows to edit
> them.
> When user presses page down key, this grid should read next screenful of
> records and allow to edit them etc.
> PgADMIN tries to read the whole table.
>
> Is there any free toolkit or sample application for this ?

Umm - running on what platform? Written in what language?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
"Andrus"
> Andrus wrote:
>> I want to create editable grid (client application) for large Postgres
>> table:
>>
>> At startup this grid show first screenful of records and allows to edit
>> them.
>> When user presses page down key, this grid should read next screenful of
>> records and allow to edit them etc.
>> PgADMIN tries to read the whole table.
>>
>> Is there any free toolkit or sample application for this ?
>
> Umm - running on what platform?

In Microsoft Windows

> Written in what language?

I'm in progress of selecting development platform.

I prefer major (A status) programming language using classification from
http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

Andrus.

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
"Florian G. Pflug"
Andrus wrote:
>>Andrus wrote:
>>>I want to create editable grid (client application) for large Postgres
>>>table:
>>>
>>>At startup this grid show first screenful of records and allows to edit
>>>them.
>>>When user presses page down key, this grid should read next screenful of
>>>records and allow to edit them etc.
>>>PgADMIN tries to read the whole table.
>>>
>>>Is there any free toolkit or sample application for this ?
>>
>>Umm - running on what platform?
>
> In Microsoft Windows
>
>>Written in what language?
>
> I'm in progress of selecting development platform.
pgAdmin3 is written in C++, using the cross-plattform and free
GUI-Toolkit wxwindows (www.wxwindows.org I believe).
pgAdmin3 includes an editable grid-view (right-click a table, and
select "Edit Data").

I believe pgAdmin3 is licensed under a BSD-License, so you might even
be able to reuse some code.

> I prefer major (A status) programming language using classification from
> http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
I'm not sure if I would trust a programming language ranking that is based
on search-engine results. First, a higher rating might indicate that people
have lots of trouble with the language (Because the search for, and post
solution-x for the problems). Seconds, _any_ programming language comparision
that doesn't say in what _context_ or for which _problems_ a language is
good, and for which it is bad, is worthless IMHO.

Including C,C++,Visual Basic, PHP and PL/SQL(!) in the _same_ ranking is just
insane. They serve vastly difference purposes (Just imagine a web-application
in PL/SQL, a kernel in Visual Basic or a GUI-Applikation in PHP)

greetings, Florian Pflug

Attachment

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
David Welton
Date:
One thing you might consider is the 'Base' application from
openoffice.  I'm not sure it's what you want, but it might work...  In
any case it's likely worth looking at.

> > I prefer major (A status) programming language using classification from
> > http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

... wandering off topic ...

> I'm not sure if I would trust a programming language ranking that is based
> on search-engine results. First, a higher rating might indicate that people
> have lots of trouble with the language (Because the search for, and post
> solution-x for the problems).

Well, if they're not using it, they're not going to have problems
either.  Having used a slew of programming languages, including some
fancy, less popular ones myself, I am pretty sure that people run into
problems with all of them:-)

> Seconds, _any_ programming language comparision
> that doesn't say in what _context_ or for which _problems_ a language is
> good, and for which it is bad, is worthless IMHO.

Anyone who decides solely by looking at stats is kind of silly.  That
said, though, I think there is some validity to these kinds of
things...  Here's my attempt at something similar with more data
sources:

http://www.dedasys.com/articles/language_popularity.html

As I say, though...take things with a grain of salt.  I did those
stats with Tcl, and Hecl, which don't figure highly in the results;-)

Saluti,
--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
"Andrus"
Date:
Florian,

your reply is not is not in news.postgresql.org server.
How to receive all messages using news.postgresql.org server ? It is tedious
to check the newsgroup archives using web interface also.

>  > I'm in progress of selecting development platform.
>pgAdmin3 is written in C++, using the cross-plattform and free
GUI-Toolkit wxwindows (www.wxwindows.org I believe).
pgAdmin3 includes an editable grid-view (right-click a table, and
select "Edit Data").

>> I believe pgAdmin3 is licensed under a BSD-License, so you might even
be able to reuse some code.

pgAdmin does not have ability to fetch next
screenful on page down. It can fetch only first 100 or all rows for
editing.This would me major improvement and I dont have enough knowledge to
add this to pgadmin.

> Including C,C++,Visual Basic, PHP and PL/SQL(!) in the _same_ ranking is
just
insane. They serve vastly difference purposes (Just imagine a

"web-application in PL/SQL, "

Why not ?
I can create HTML output from pg/SQL and redirect it to browser.
I hope that XHTML  capabilites will be added to Postgres also.

> "a kernel in Visual Basic"

VB has good complier which can be used kernel also.

> "GUI-Applikation in PHP"

To improve imagination you can download Agata Report from
http://www.agata.org.br/us/index.php

This is is GUI application written in PHP which allows to create reports
from Postgres database.

Andrus.

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
Eric E
Date:
Has anyone used OpenOffice Base?  Just a thought.  Or Rekall - it's a
bit immature, but it might do what you want.  The dreaded MS Access
can do what you describe in about 4 minutes...

EE

>> > I'm in progress of selecting development platform.
>>pgAdmin3 is written in C++, using the cross-plattform and free
>>

>>Including C,C++,Visual Basic, PHP and PL/SQL(!) in the _same_ ranking is
>>

>just
>insane. They serve vastly difference purposes (Just imagine a
>
>"web-application in PL/SQL, "
>
>Why not ?
>I can create HTML output from pg/SQL and redirect it to browser.
>I hope that XHTML  capabilites will be added to Postgres also.

This is a terrible idea.  For example, how does a browser request a new
page?  There's a plethora of good ways to hook a browser up to a
database, having a webserver built into an RDBMS is not one of them.

>>"GUI-Applikation in PHP"
>>

>To improve imagination you can download Agata Report from
>http://www.agata.org.br/us/index.php
>
>This is is GUI application written in PHP which allows to create reports
>from Postgres database.

You might also want to look at PHP-Lens, which has a simple form-builder.

Cheers,

EE

Andrus wrote:
> Florian,
>
> your reply is not is not in news.postgresql.org server.
> How to receive all messages using news.postgresql.org server ? It is tedious
> to check the newsgroup archives using web interface also.

Bad, but I guess there is nothing I can do about that... I'm subscriber
of the mailinglist, not of the newsgroup... Sorry..

greetings, Florian Pflug

Attachment

Date:
Florian,

>> your reply is not is not in news.postgresql.org server.
>
> Bad, but I guess there is nothing I can do about that... I'm subscriber
> of the mailinglist, not of the newsgroup... Sorry..

Your messages are digitally signed.

Maybe this prevents them from distributing using news protocol ?

Andrus.

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 13:11, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Andrus wrote:
> > Florian,
> >
> > your reply is not is not in news.postgresql.org server.
> > How to receive all messages using news.postgresql.org server ? It is tedious
> > to check the newsgroup archives using web interface also.
>
> Bad, but I guess there is nothing I can do about that... I'm subscriber
> of the mailinglist, not of the newsgroup... Sorry..

You might want to consider setting up a gmail account.  It's excellent
for reading email from the web.  About 1,000 times nicer than the one
I've used that comes with Exchange Server (when accessing it with
firefox/mozilla)

Date:
> Has anyone used OpenOffice Base?  Just a thought.  Or Rekall - it's a bit
> immature, but it might do what you want.  The dreaded MS Access
> can do what you describe in about 4 minutes...

Postgres lacks easy GUI frontend with report generation capabilities like
Access.

To fix this pgAdmin should be implemented in OpenOffice. This will create a
very good Postgres management tool for both administrators and end users.
This reduces the development cost since ready-made OpenOffice components can
be used.

>>>"GUI-Applikation in PHP"
>>
>>To improve imagination you can download Agata Report from
>>http://www.agata.org.br/us/index.php
>>
>>This is is GUI application written in PHP which allows to create reports
>>from Postgres database.
>>
> You might also want to look at PHP-Lens, which has a simple form-builder.

I looked their web site. They have the following suggestion in
http://phplens.com/lens/product/ :
... , you will need to ALTER TABLE phplens MODIFY id CHAR(40).

MODIFY clause causes error in Postgres. Does this mean that they do'nt
bother about Postgres compatibility at all ?

Andrus

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
Chris Browne
Date:
"Andrus" <eetasoft@online.ee> writes:
>> Has anyone used OpenOffice Base?  Just a thought.  Or Rekall - it's
>> a bit immature, but it might do what you want.  The dreaded MS
>> Access can do what you describe in about 4 minutes...
>
> Postgres lacks easy GUI frontend with report generation capabilities
> like Access.
>
> To fix this pgAdmin should be implemented in OpenOffice. This will
> create a very good Postgres management tool for both administrators
> and end users.  This reduces the development cost since ready-made
> OpenOffice components can be used.

Unfortunately, we don't run OpenOffice.org *or* pgAdmin on any of our
IBM pSeries clusters, so for us, that's a pretty much useless answer.

The folks I'm thinking of here *are* material to the matter, as we
have actually been trying to get some reasonably material budget put
together to come up with a report generation "solution," albeit with a
mandate that it can function in X-less environments.

The above biases aside, OpenOffice.org has seemed terribly heavyweight
any time I have used it for anything database-related.
--
"cbbrowne","@","ntlug.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sgml.html

Date:
> You might want to consider setting up a gmail account.  It's excellent
> for reading email from the web.  About 1,000 times nicer than the one
> I've used that comes with Exchange Server (when accessing it with
> firefox/mozilla)

Scott,

I need to  pgsql.general mails in my notebook offline when there is no
internet connection.

Since some messages does not appear in news.postgresql.org news server, I
must go to
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/  and compare all threads one
by one manually and copy missing messages to my local computer.

Is there any simpler solution for offline reading ?

Andrus.

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
Michelle Konzack
Date:
Am 2005-12-16 21:52:07, schrieb Andrus:
> > Has anyone used OpenOffice Base?  Just a thought.  Or Rekall - it's a bit
> > immature, but it might do what you want.  The dreaded MS Access
> > can do what you describe in about 4 minutes...
>
> Postgres lacks easy GUI frontend with report generation capabilities like
> Access.

Sorry, but you compare apples with pears.  I can not
remember that the Microsoft SQL Server has such things.

    PostgreSQL      !=      Access
    PostgreSQL      ~       MS SQL Server

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 03:52:36PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2005-12-16 21:52:07, schrieb Andrus:
> > > Has anyone used OpenOffice Base?  Just a thought.  Or Rekall - it's a bit
> > > immature, but it might do what you want.  The dreaded MS Access
> > > can do what you describe in about 4 minutes...
> >
> > Postgres lacks easy GUI frontend with report generation capabilities like
> > Access.
>
> Sorry, but you compare apples with pears.  I can not
> remember that the Microsoft SQL Server has such things.
>
>     PostgreSQL      !=      Access
>     PostgreSQL      ~       MS SQL Server

Note that many people have had good results by using Access as a
front-end to PostgreSQL.

Date:
Am 2005-12-22 10:11:48, schrieb Jim C. Nasby:

> >     PostgreSQL      !=      Access
> >     PostgreSQL      ~       MS SQL Server
>
> Note that many people have had good results by using Access as a
> front-end to PostgreSQL.

I have stoped using Windows with WfW 3.11 and Access 2.0