Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Date:
Guys,

In our effort to distribute PostgreSQL to our customers, our higher
ups would like to reduce the visibility that it is indeed
PostgreSQL for a number of reasons at a few of our customer sites
(particularly because these particular customers are very wary of
open source).

I know the license allows rebranding, but is there a document
anywhere that specifies just what you have to do to do it? Is it as
simple as regexing strings in the source, compiling, and renaming
the exectuables? Or is it fraught with twisty little passages?

Thanks,
John

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

Date:
john.bender@hushmail.com wrote:
> Guys,
>
> In our effort to distribute PostgreSQL to our customers, our higher
> ups would like to reduce the visibility that it is indeed
> PostgreSQL for a number of reasons at a few of our customer sites
> (particularly because these particular customers are very wary of
> open source).
>
> I know the license allows rebranding, but is there a document
> anywhere that specifies just what you have to do to do it? Is it as
> simple as regexing strings in the source, compiling, and renaming
> the exectuables? Or is it fraught with twisty little passages?

Wow, we never got that question before.  There is no legal requirement
that people know they are running PostgreSQL, and some products do not
use PostgreSQL in their name, so on that front you are fine.

However, keep in mind that the changes you are suggesting will have a
cost associated with them, in doing the changes, and finding all the
place where the changes are required.  PostgreSQL is pretty complex and
even changing error messages can make things like internationalization
or tests for specific messages in interface libraries fail.

Basically, there isn't anything magic to the process except
understanding all the applicable code well enough to know your changes
are safe and thorough.

Ultimately, you might end up reinforcing your users' bias, not because
open source is unreliable, but because your version is.

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 11:05, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> john.bender@hushmail.com wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > In our effort to distribute PostgreSQL to our customers, our higher
> > ups would like to reduce the visibility that it is indeed
> > PostgreSQL for a number of reasons at a few of our customer sites
> > (particularly because these particular customers are very wary of
> > open source).
> >
> > I know the license allows rebranding, but is there a document
> > anywhere that specifies just what you have to do to do it? Is it as
> > simple as regexing strings in the source, compiling, and renaming
> > the exectuables? Or is it fraught with twisty little passages?
>
> Wow, we never got that question before.  There is no legal requirement
> that people know they are running PostgreSQL, and some products do not
> use PostgreSQL in their name, so on that front you are fine.
>
> However, keep in mind that the changes you are suggesting will have a
> cost associated with them, in doing the changes, and finding all the
> place where the changes are required.  PostgreSQL is pretty complex and
> even changing error messages can make things like internationalization
> or tests for specific messages in interface libraries fail.
>
> Basically, there isn't anything magic to the process except
> understanding all the applicable code well enough to know your changes
> are safe and thorough.
>
> Ultimately, you might end up reinforcing your users' bias, not because
> open source is unreliable, but because your version is.

If they don't really want to get into the "we produce our flavor of
PostgreSQL called XYZ" business, maybe they should resell some flavor
from someone else then?

Seems to me education of the people who are wary of open source is the
answer here, but some people are harder to teach than others.

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

Date:
<john.bender@hushmail.com> writes:
> In our effort to distribute PostgreSQL to our customers, our higher
> ups would like to reduce the visibility that it is indeed
> PostgreSQL for a number of reasons at a few of our customer sites
> (particularly because these particular customers are very wary of
> open source).

> I know the license allows rebranding, but is there a document
> anywhere that specifies just what you have to do to do it? Is it as
> simple as regexing strings in the source, compiling, and renaming
> the exectuables? Or is it fraught with twisty little passages?

The license may allow it, but you really need a fair amount of chutzpah
to expect that people help you with it ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Date:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:20:26 -0800 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:
>The license may allow it, but you really need a fair amount of
>chutzpah
>to expect that people help you with it ...

Hah...I certainly agree.

Keep in mind though...we're not actually selling them the database.
It's not my intention to rebrand the database and *sell* it.

We simply want to use PostgreSQL to leverage our application's
capabilities. The app currently runs on the customer's supplied
databases (Sybase, Oracle, and Access (gulp) in a few sites). We're
not proposing to charge them for the database, and believe me, they
wouldn't buy in. They already have to part of the game covered.

I'm a long time user, and fan, and a open source advocate in
general. I think PostgreSQL is the way of the future. I'm also the
shot caller primarily on our app's technology, and I'd like to
standardize as much as possible on developing solely for
PostgreSQL. The multi db support has provided an endless supply of
headaches. We can provide PostgreSQL for free to the customer, and
most have been very open to the idea. We'll provide what
administration is needed.

There are a few obstinate anti-open source customers though, that
prevent my plan from moving forward. They've bought into whatever
hype they've read and just simply say no. Now, that said, they're
fairly non-technical and probably had never heard of PostgreSQL
before we presented our plan.

So, is it a little shady to want to slide PostgreSQL in under the
radar? I'm simply trying to downplay what it is...it's my take that
what they don't know won't hurt them.

Sounds like rebranding would be a significantly difficult task.
Perhaps I'll just remove all menu entries and leave it at that.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. And please, don't take
offense to the question ;)

Thanks,
John

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Ben
Date:
Education is the best way to go. How are you going to slide in postgres? "Hey
guys, we can get rid of all your diverse databases and replace them with this
black box I found here." Sooner or later your anti-OSS friends are going to find
out you tricked them, and what happens then?

If your clients have serious concerns with open source, address them. If they
don't, call them on it. If they're in charge (and clients often are) and they
insist on paying money for inferior software, show them what it will really cost
them. If they still want to pay - hey, it's not your money that's being wasted.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, john.bender@hushmail.com wrote:

> So, is it a little shady to want to slide PostgreSQL in under the
> radar? I'm simply trying to downplay what it is...it's my take that
> what they don't know won't hurt them.

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Vivek Khera
Date:
On Nov 16, 2005, at 1:09 PM, <john.bender@hushmail.com>
<john.bender@hushmail.com> wrote:

> There are a few obstinate anti-open source customers though, that
> prevent my plan from moving forward. They've bought into whatever
> hype they've read and just simply say no. Now, that said, they're
> fairly non-technical and probably had never heard of PostgreSQL
> before we presented our plan.

how would postgres be exposed to them anyhow?  wouldn't it just sit
behind the scenes of your front-end?

if they're poking around the process table, just change the name of
the postmaster executable and the socket it creates to "johnsdb" or
some such.

the real trick would have been to sell it in a better way.  don't
mention open source or antyhing -- just say we have our own in-house
DB we can provide at reduced cost to supporting your pre-installed
Oracle.  given them too much information was a mistake, IMHO.

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Chris Browne
Date:
john.bender@hushmail.com writes:
> There are a few obstinate anti-open source customers though, that
> prevent my plan from moving forward. They've bought into whatever
> hype they've read and just simply say no. Now, that said, they're
> fairly non-technical and probably had never heard of PostgreSQL
> before we presented our plan.
>
> So, is it a little shady to want to slide PostgreSQL in under the
> radar? I'm simply trying to downplay what it is...it's my take that
> what they don't know won't hurt them.

Well, I have seen SAP AG deploy stuff like Ghostscript and Apache
(under their various varying license) as components of their
applications without anyone saying "boo."

In SAPGUI, the "front end," they had parts of Ghostscript in there,
complete with copyright messages and everything.

But since all of this stuff was "stowed" in a subdirectory that they
didn't really call attention to, nobody generally notices.

I would imagine that if you simply stow components where you choose to
stow them, and say, "this is part of what we always install for all
our customers," and never bring OSS up as an issue, they probably
won't notice they were going to have an issue with it.

For these people, you don't say, "Oh yes, this is open source; you're
agreeing to the BSDL."

Instead, the "story" is more like: "We have acquired proper licensing
rights for all of the subcomponents that we use from their respective
producers and vendors."
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 14:19:28 -0500,
  Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:

> if they're poking around the process table, just change the name of
> the postmaster executable and the socket it creates to "johnsdb" or
> some such.

I think you need to be careful with that. The last time I checked, postmaster
checked what name it was running under and behaved differently depending
on what it was called.

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Vivek Khera
Date:
On Nov 16, 2005, at 4:17 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 14:19:28 -0500,
>   Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:
>>
>> if they're poking around the process table, just change the name of
>> the postmaster executable and the socket it creates to "johnsdb" or
>> some such.
>
> I think you need to be careful with that. The last time I checked,
> postmaster
> checked what name it was running under and behaved differently
> depending
> on what it was called.

well obviously you would have to take that into account when
renaming... :-)

in my head I had thought of it but just didn't type it out....

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:09:51AM -0800, john.bender@hushmail.com wrote:

> So, is it a little shady to want to slide PostgreSQL in under the
> radar? I'm simply trying to downplay what it is...it's my take that
> what they don't know won't hurt them.

I appreciate what you're trying to do.  At the same time, why do you
think your customers will be more willing to go for John's Database
than some community product called PostgreSQL?  (And yes, I suspect
there _are_ such people.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
        --H.W. Fowler

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I appreciate what you're trying to do.  At the same time, why do you
> think your customers will be more willing to go for John's Database
> than some community product called PostgreSQL?  (And yes, I suspect
> there _are_ such people.)

That's easy. The same reason people used to buy Mammoth PostgreSQL (not
the replicator version).
There is an assumption that there is a throat to choke, or sue as the
case may be. What most people
fail to realize is that almost ALL software has a maximum of a 90 day
warranty with a limitation
of liability to the cost of the software.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Date:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:50:37 -0800 Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org>
>I would imagine that if you simply stow components where you
>choose to
>stow them, and say, "this is part of what we always install for
>all
>our customers," and never bring OSS up as an issue, they probably
>won't notice they were going to have an issue with it.

A very good point, and probably the tactic I'm going to use. Rather
than rebranding, downplaying the use might work.

So, I'll forge ahead and simply deploy it in a somewhat
unobtrusive, unobvious way. If it becomes a problem, I'll seek to
educate and work with our sales guys to put a positive spin on the
issue. I'm actually pretty proud of the way our app works with
PostgreSQL, and I think once our problem customers see how well it
runs, their fears, sprung from whatever source, will dissipate.

The silent capabilities of the installer will do nicely in this
regard...I can wrap it into my current NSIS script and simply call
out to the installer. However, I need to create a empty database
and initial user after install is complete. Is there any way to
"hook" custom scripts into the installer's process? If not, what
ways would you approach this? It'd have to be self-contained in
some way, as I cannot guarantee any particular scripting language
will be installed on the target machines.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

John

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> The silent capabilities of the installer will do nicely in
> this regard...I can wrap it into my current NSIS script and
> simply call out to the installer. However, I need to create a
> empty database and initial user after install is complete. Is
> there any way to "hook" custom scripts into the installer's
> process? If not, what ways would you approach this? It'd have
> to be self-contained in some way, as I cannot guarantee any
> particular scripting language will be installed on the target
> machines.

Nope, no way to hook that in unless you want to build your own MSI. You
could create a hook in pginst.wxs and add the CA, and rebuild the MSI.
BUt then you'd have to rebuild the MSI yourself each time you get a new
version etc, which may not be what you want.

I don't know how NSIS works, but I'm sure you can write extension
functions for it, right? The safest way would be to write one in C
statically linked to libpq, and just have that one connect to the newly
installed database and create the required objects. That way you don't
rely on any external scripting languages or DLLs.

//Magnus

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 02:19:28PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2005, at 1:09 PM, <john.bender@hushmail.com>
> <john.bender@hushmail.com> wrote:
>
> >There are a few obstinate anti-open source customers though, that
> >prevent my plan from moving forward. They've bought into whatever
> >hype they've read and just simply say no. Now, that said, they're
> >fairly non-technical and probably had never heard of PostgreSQL
> >before we presented our plan.
>
> how would postgres be exposed to them anyhow?  wouldn't it just sit
> behind the scenes of your front-end?

Backups. You really need to explain pg_dump to the end user.

> the real trick would have been to sell it in a better way.  don't
> mention open source or antyhing -- just say we have our own in-house
> DB we can provide at reduced cost to supporting your pre-installed
> Oracle.  given them too much information was a mistake, IMHO.

We "embed" postgresql in our product[1]. We don't hide the fact - we
mention it in our pre-sales material and include docs about how to
access the backend DB via psql, JDBC and ODBC and stress that it's a
very standard, widely supported database that's compatible with many
third party tools and reporting utilities. What worries potential
customers most is the need to do maintenance on a database they're not
familiar with so we have app level code to do all the maintenance
needed.

We're selling mostly into large enterprise, and while we've had one or
two requests to support Oracle as well as Postgresql (uhm, no. life is
too short...) we've found that making it very clear that the end users
do not need to become Postgresql DBAs, and that Postgresql is a solid
enterprise grade database has been enough to make potential customers
happy.

Cheers,
  Steve

[1] Almost vanilla build, but we bundle it in the same tarball as the
    application and do all the initdb work needed behind the scenes
    as part of our installation script, include the PG startup and
    shutdown in our rc scripts and have an autovacuum kinda-equivalent
    embedded in the app.

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:26:19PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> That's easy. The same reason people used to buy Mammoth PostgreSQL (not
> the replicator version).

Well, yeah-no.  Mammoth was coming from someone who was explicitly in
the business of selling support for it, and was selling to people who
already had picked PostgreSQL.  But the OP was suggesting this was a
way around the "We don't use nuttin' but O-ra-cle 'round here" crowd;
and I don't see how "Magic Blackbox Database" is somehow better than
"Postgres" to those people.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 17:37, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > I appreciate what you're trying to do.  At the same time, why do you
> > think your customers will be more willing to go for John's Database
> > than some community product called PostgreSQL?  (And yes, I suspect
> > there _are_ such people.)
>
> Maybe he is going to call it "Orakle"? :)

I was thinking he could call it "my-sql"...

Robert Treat

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
>> Maybe he is going to call it "Orakle"? :)
>
> I was thinking he could call it "my-sql"...

Call it "Your SQL" :-)
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/slony.html

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 02:19:28PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 2005, at 1:09 PM, <john.bender@hushmail.com>
>> <john.bender@hushmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >There are a few obstinate anti-open source customers though, that
>> >prevent my plan from moving forward. They've bought into whatever
>> >hype they've read and just simply say no. Now, that said, they're
>> >fairly non-technical and probably had never heard of PostgreSQL
>> >before we presented our plan.
>>
>> how would postgres be exposed to them anyhow?  wouldn't it just sit
>> behind the scenes of your front-end?
>
> Backups. You really need to explain pg_dump to the end user.

Unless you include a tool that internally performs a pg_dump, in
binary form, so they don't need to know about what it's doing, and so
that it doesn't show off being a raw text form that will clue them in
;-).

Think about any of the apps that used embedded DBs like Faircom,
Raima, and such; you'd need to run some extra module to do a "backup."

If the intent is to pretend PostgreSQL is being embedded, it's natural
for the results to have a shape like that...
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/spreadsheets.html

Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL

From
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 11/17/2005 12:33:11 PM:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 02:19:28PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> > On Nov 16, 2005, at 1:09 PM, <john.bender@hushmail.com>
> > <john.bender@hushmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >There are a few obstinate anti-open source customers though, that
> > >prevent my plan from moving forward. They've bought into whatever
> > >hype they've read and just simply say no. Now, that said, they're
> > >fairly non-technical and probably had never heard of PostgreSQL
> > >before we presented our plan.
<snip>

You presented a plan to your customers.  They roundly rejected it, for
whatever reason.  The above sounds like an assumption.  You plan to go
ahead with it anyway.

At best you could lose customers.  At worst you could lose your company.