Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:26:19PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> That's easy. The same reason people used to buy Mammoth PostgreSQL (not
> the replicator version).

Well, yeah-no.  Mammoth was coming from someone who was explicitly in
the business of selling support for it, and was selling to people who
already had picked PostgreSQL.  But the OP was suggesting this was a
way around the "We don't use nuttin' but O-ra-cle 'round here" crowd;
and I don't see how "Magic Blackbox Database" is somehow better than
"Postgres" to those people.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun