Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Rebranding PostgreSQL  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Nov 16, 2005, at 1:09 PM, <john.bender@hushmail.com>
<john.bender@hushmail.com> wrote:

> There are a few obstinate anti-open source customers though, that
> prevent my plan from moving forward. They've bought into whatever
> hype they've read and just simply say no. Now, that said, they're
> fairly non-technical and probably had never heard of PostgreSQL
> before we presented our plan.

how would postgres be exposed to them anyhow?  wouldn't it just sit
behind the scenes of your front-end?

if they're poking around the process table, just change the name of
the postmaster executable and the socket it creates to "johnsdb" or
some such.

the real trick would have been to sell it in a better way.  don't
mention open source or antyhing -- just say we have our own in-house
DB we can provide at reduced cost to supporting your pre-installed
Oracle.  given them too much information was a mistake, IMHO.