Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Due to recent action by Google concerning the comp.databases.postgresql.*
hierarchy, we are going to make some changes that should satisfy just
about everyone ... over the next 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage others to
do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new pgsql.*
hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get through ...

In order to improve propogation, as always, we welcome anyone wishing to
carry these groups to email usenet@hub.org to get added on as a direct
peer ...

----

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Due to recent action by Google concerning the comp.databases.postgresql.*
> hierarchy, we are going to make some changes that should satisfy just
> about everyone ... over the next 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
> comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
> re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage others to
> do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new pgsql.*
> hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get through ...
>
> In order to improve propogation, as always, we welcome anyone wishing to
> carry these groups to email usenet@hub.org to get added on as a direct
> peer ...

Mark,

No offense intended, but you already made one mistake by gating these
mailing lists into the big-8 hierarchy, then allowing them to be
propagated off whatever newserver to which that was done, into the
general newsfeed, w/o going through the big-8 newsgroup creation
process.

Now somebody's trying to fix that by going through the process to
legitimize comp.databases.postgresql.*, there is an RFD posted, and
you're going to up and create pgsql.*?

Did you warn the proponent of comp.databases.postgresql.* that you were
going to do this?  Did you read any of the arguments for and against a
completely separate hierarchy that were posted to the RFD thread in
news.groups?

Jim

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Did you warn the proponent of comp.databases.postgresql.* that you were
> going to do this?  Did you read any of the arguments for and against a
> completely separate hierarchy that were posted to the RFD thread in
> news.groups?

Interesting point. What did come of all the arguments? These news server
changes seem to be fairly arbitrary and one lined. Perhaps this should
be taken up as a whole?

Did core at least vote on this?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Jim

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
"Gary L. Burnore"
Date:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:37:56 -0400 (AST), scrappy@postgresql.org
("Marc G. Fournier") wrote:

>Due to recent action by Google concerning the comp.databases.postgresql.*
>hierarchy, we are going to make some changes that should satisfy just
>about everyone ... over the next 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
>comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
>re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage others to
>do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new pgsql.*
>hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get through ...

So you're basically going to make it worse than it already was and to
hell with everyone who was working to correct it, right?  We'll surely
block propigation with that setup.

>In order to improve propogation, as always, we welcome anyone wishing to
>carry these groups to email usenet@hub.org to get added on as a direct
>peer ...

You're still trying to shove your list up USENet's ass instead of
doing it the proper way.  Why is that?

--
gburnore@databasix dot com
                  How you look depends on where you go.
                                      |  ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
DataBasix                             |  ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
                                      |  ÝÛ³ 3 4 1 4 2  ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9 ÝÛ³
Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division |     Official Proof of Purchase
      Want one?  GET one!   http://signup.databasix.com

Date:
At 03:44 PM 11/23/2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>Did you warn the proponent of comp.databases.postgresql.* that you were
>>going to do this?  Did you read any of the arguments for and against a
>>completely separate hierarchy that were posted to the RFD thread in
>>news.groups?
>
>Interesting point. What did come of all the arguments? These news server
>changes seem to be fairly arbitrary and one lined. Perhaps this should
>be taken up as a whole?

Setting this up outside of the comp. groups tells everyone you want to be
more like microsoft.* and less like major databases.  Moreover, it means
less propagation since not all servers will carry them.

So much for working out the problems.

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
"Gary L. Burnore"
Date:
Sorry, forgot to crosspost to news.groups

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:59:02 -0500, Gary L. Burnore
<gburnore@databasix.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:37:56 -0400 (AST), scrappy@postgresql.org
>("Marc G. Fournier") wrote:
>

>>Due to recent action by Google concerning the comp.databases.postgresql.*
>>hierarchy, we are going to make some changes that should satisfy just
>>about everyone ... over the next 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
>>comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
>>re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage others to
>>do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new pgsql.*
>>hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get through ...
>
>So you're basically going to make it worse than it already was and to
>hell with everyone who was working to correct it, right?  We'll surely
>block propigation with that setup.
>

>>In order to improve propogation, as always, we welcome anyone wishing to
>>carry these groups to email usenet@hub.org to get added on as a direct
>>peer ...
>>
>You're still trying to shove your list up USENet's ass instead of
>doing it the proper way.  Why is that?

--
gburnore@databasix dot com
                  How you look depends on where you go.
Gary L. Burnore                       |  ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
                                      |  ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
DataBasix                             |  ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
                                      |  ÝÛ³ 3 4 1 4 2  ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9 ÝÛ³
Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division |     Official Proof of Purchase
      Want one?  GET one!   http://signup.databasix.com

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Patrick B Kelly
Date:
On Nov 23, 2004, at 3:59 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:37:56 -0400 (AST), scrappy@postgresql.org
> ("Marc G. Fournier") wrote:
>

>> Due to recent action by Google concerning the
>> comp.databases.postgresql.*
>> hierarchy, we are going to make some changes that should satisfy just
>> about everyone ... over the next 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
>> comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
>> re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage
>> others to
>> do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new pgsql.*
>> hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get through ...
>
> So you're basically going to make it worse than it already was and to
> hell with everyone who was working to correct it, right?  We'll surely
> block propigation with that setup.

Marc appears to be the only one NOT making this situation worse. Let's
review. Since Mike Cox's unsolicited attempt to "fix" a problems that
he perceived, what has happened? The list has been deluged with
countless angry process oriented messages filled with vitriol and
devoid of any content regarding the purpose of this forum, we have been
bombarded with profanity, and the lists have been dropped from google.
This seems like it was a fool's errand from the beginning and Marc has
done nothing but try to cooperate to the extent reasonable. That does
not include jumping through every hoop that anyone holds up for him.

>> In order to improve propogation, as always, we welcome anyone wishing
>> carry these groups to email usenet@hub.org to get added on as a direct
>> peer ...
>>
> You're still trying to shove your list up USENet's ass instead of
> doing it the proper way.  Why is that?

I will not speak for Marc but say that as a member of the mailing list,
I think he does an excellent job of advocating the best interests of
the postgres community and I support his decisions. You can make any
accusations you like but we know what a good job Marc does and
appreciate Marc's efforts on our behalf.

> --
> gburnore@databasix dot com
> ----
>                   How you look depends on where you go.
> ----
> Gary L. Burnore                       |
> ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
> ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
> DataBasix                             |
> ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
>                                       |  ÝÛ³ 3 4 1 4 2  ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9
> ÝÛ³
> Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division |     Official Proof of Purchase
> ====
>       Want one?  GET one!   http://signup.databasix.com
> ====
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Patrick B. Kelly
v: 484.557.0646                         http://patrickbkelly.org

Date:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:23:19 -0500, pbk@patrickbkelly.org (Patrick B
Kelly) wrote:

>On Nov 23, 2004, at 3:59 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:37:56 -0400 (AST), scrappy@postgresql.org
>> ("Marc G. Fournier") wrote:
>>

>>> Due to recent action by Google concerning the
>>> comp.databases.postgresql.*
>>> hierarchy, we are going to make some changes that should satisfy just
>>> about everyone ... over the next 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
>>> comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
>>> re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage
>>> others to
>>> do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new pgsql.*
>>> hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get through ...
>>
>> So you're basically going to make it worse than it already was and to
>> hell with everyone who was working to correct it, right?  We'll surely
>> block propigation with that setup.
>
>Marc appears to be the only one NOT making this situation worse. Let's
>review.

Yes, let's do.

> Since Mike Cox's unsolicited attempt to "fix" a problems that
>he perceived, what has happened?  The list has been deluged with
>countless angry process oriented messages filled with vitriol and
>devoid of any content regarding the purpose of this forum, we have been
>bombarded with profanity, and the lists have been dropped from google.

The latter is because NSPs are cleaning up bogus groups, not because
of attempts to correct the problem.

>This seems like it was a fool's errand from the beginning and Marc has
>done nothing but try to cooperate to the extent reasonable.

No, it wasn't and no, he hasn't. Not in the least.  In fact, just the
opposite.

>That does not include jumping through every hoop that anyone holds up for him.

Every hoop?  Making the groups valid in USENet may be a hoop, but it's
only one. He hasn't even attempted to walk NEAR the hoop, let alone
jump through it.

It's becomming clear that the best thing to do is simply drop the
groups, just as google has done.  You'll be relegated to only a few
servers.  If that's what you want, why not just drop the newsfeed all
together?  Save everyone the trouble.

>>> In order to improve propogation, as always, we welcome anyone wishing
>>> carry these groups to email usenet@hub.org to get added on as a direct
>>> peer ...
>>>
>> You're still trying to shove your list up USENet's ass instead of
>> doing it the proper way.  Why is that?
>
>I will not speak for Marc but say that as a member of the mailing list,
>I think he does an excellent job of advocating the best interests of
>the postgres community and I support his decisions. You can make any
>accusations you like but we know what a good job Marc does and
>appreciate Marc's efforts on our behalf.

So ensuring that postgres shows up on LESS NSP servers than it does
now is a good thing?  Making sure that people CAN'T discuss postgres
in the same way they discuss Oracle, Informix, Sybase and others is
advocating the best interests of the postgres community?   Alienating
the very server operators who would carry said groups is fine with
you?

Amazing.  Simply amazing.
--

Date:
On 23 Nov 2004 21:41:16 GMT, Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>pbk@patrickbkelly.org (Patrick B Kelly) wrote in news:E55E257B-3D95-11D9-
>BD24-000A958A3956@patrickbkelly.org:
>
>> On Nov 23, 2004, at 3:59 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:

>>> So you're basically going to make it worse than it already was and to
>>> hell with everyone who was working to correct it, right?  We'll surely
>>> block propigation with that setup.
>>
>> Marc appears to be the only one NOT making this situation worse. Let's
>> review. Since Mike Cox's unsolicited attempt to "fix" a problems that
>> he perceived, what has happened? The list has been deluged with
>> countless angry process oriented messages filled with vitriol and
>> devoid of any content regarding the purpose of this forum, we have been
>> bombarded with profanity, and the lists have been dropped from google.
>> This seems like it was a fool's errand from the beginning and Marc has
>> done nothing but try to cooperate to the extent reasonable. That does
>> not include jumping through every hoop that anyone holds up for him.

>>> You're still trying to shove your list up USENet's ass instead of
>>> doing it the proper way.  Why is that?
>>
>> I will not speak for Marc but say that as a member of the mailing list,
>> I think he does an excellent job of advocating the best interests of
>> the postgres community and I support his decisions. You can make any
>> accusations you like but we know what a good job Marc does and
>> appreciate Marc's efforts on our behalf.
>
>By helping the postgres community in the way you describe, he is screwing
>over the Usenet community.

And not helping postgres since less NSP's will carry the groups and
the postgres message.

It's ok. Mysql's better anyway.

--
gburnore@databasix dot com
                  How you look depends on where you go.
Gary L. Burnore                       |  ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
                                      |  ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
DataBasix                             |  ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
                                      |  ÝÛ³ 3 4 1 4 2  ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9 ÝÛ³
Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division |     Official Proof of Purchase
      Want one?  GET one!   http://signup.databasix.com

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Date:
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

[I had written]

> > Did you warn the proponent of comp.databases.postgresql.* that you were
> > going to do this?  Did you read any of the arguments for and against a
> > completely separate hierarchy that were posted to the RFD thread in
> > news.groups?
>
> Interesting point. What did come of all the arguments?

The current RFD thread is still active.  (In news.groups, anyway.)
This is how the big-8 newsgroup creation process usually works.  New
RFDs are posted, and discussion ensues, until it's decided it's time
for a vote or the proponent(s) drop the idea.  This can take some
time.

>                                                        These news server
> changes seem to be fairly arbitrary and one lined.

I'm going to *guess* the idea came from this comment:

| Subject: Re: RFD: comp.databases.postgresql.*
| Newsgroups: news.groups,comp.databases.postgresql.general
| Date: 23 Nov 2004 11:50:42 GMT
| From: Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com>

[snip]

| If they were to start their own hierarchy postgresql.*, they could keep all
| 21 of the groups, all of the groups would be available upon request to news
| servers around the world, Google would pick them up again in a heartbeat,
| they would not need to pass a vote, and PostgreSQL would have even more
| prestige by having a dedicated net news hierarchy.

[snip]

| Something to think about, Marc.

The key words there being "think about," IMO.  For example, the part
about "would have even more prestige."  Really?  My news server at work
doesn't carry such newsgroups at all.  Which is pretty much the point
somebody else made to a similar suggestion.  (I.e.: Propagation might
be poor.)

>                                                    Perhaps this should
> be taken up as a whole?
[snip]

I'm not clear on what exactly "as a whole" means, but I would suggest
that arbitrary and peremptory behaviour, perceived or real, is not
likely to endear the pgsql community to Usenet newsmasters.

Jim

Date:
On 23 Nov 2004 21:57:22 GMT, Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Gary L. Burnore <gburnore@databasix.com> wrote in
>
>> And not helping postgres since less NSP's will carry the groups and
>> the postgres message.
>>
>> It's ok. Mysql's better anyway.
>>

>Gary, why do your posts show up twice in postgresql.general? Different
>message IDs for each of the dupes.

Posting to the group and cc'ing the list?  :)

--

Date:
> [snip]
>
> I'm not clear on what exactly "as a whole" means, but I would suggest
> that arbitrary and peremptory behaviour, perceived or real, is not
> likely to endear the pgsql community to Usenet newsmasters.

All I meant was, has core talked about it? Personally I think the fact
that Marc has been as patient as he has with the whole process says a lot.

I personally gave up on USENET years ago but if the community deems
usenet a good idea, then so be it :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Jim

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Date:
Patrick B Kelly <pbk@patrickbkelly.org> wrote:

[snip]

> Marc appears to be the only one NOT making this situation worse.

Appearances can be deceiving--particularly when you're unfamiliar with
the territory.

>                                                                  Let's
> review. Since Mike Cox's unsolicited attempt to "fix" a problems that
> he perceived, what has happened? The list has been deluged with
> countless angry process oriented messages filled with vitriol and
> devoid of any content regarding the purpose of this forum, we have been
> bombarded with profanity,

This is Mike's fault, is it?  This is the fault of somebody stepping up
and *trying* to DTRT?  What a... fascinating POV.

>                           and the lists have been dropped from google.

And other news servers.  Do you know *why* that happened?  Perhaps if
you followed the RFD thread in news.groups, you would.

Yes, it is likely that the RFD has brought to the attention of those
webmasters who weren't aware that comp.databases.postgresql.* were
bogus, and so they dropped them.  Any one person could have
single-handedly accomplished the same thing by raising hell in the
proper venues.

Do you know that some major Usenet news systems never carried
comp.databases.postgresql.*, in the first place, because the hierarchy
was bogus?

Here's another factoid for you.  When a new big-8 newsgroup is
approved, an "official" newsgroup creation control message is sent.
Well, somebody *forged* just such a control message for one-or-more
comp.databases.postgresql.* newsgroups.

> This seems like it was a fool's errand from the beginning and Marc has
> done nothing but try to cooperate to the extent reasonable.

Hate to say it, but from where I sit it looks you have every single
point you made above wrong.  But I'm not going to beat up Marc about
it.  I'm going to assume it's unfamiliarity with the way Usenet works.

>                                                             That does
> not include jumping through every hoop that anyone holds up for him.

I hope your attitude does not reflect that of the general pgsql
community, much-less that of the core development team.  It sounds very
un-pgsql-like to me.

[snip]

> I will not speak for Marc but say that as a member of the mailing list,
> I think he does an excellent job of advocating the best interests of
> the postgres community and I support his decisions. You can make any
> accusations you like but we know what a good job Marc does and
> appreciate Marc's efforts on our behalf.

PostgreSQL is not an island unto itself.  Just as the project is bound
to abide by committee decisions wrt the SQL language, *if* it wants to
be (relatively?) "standard," it's obliged to do the same in being part
of the greater Usenet community.  That is: *If* the pgsql community
wishes to be part of the larger Usenet community.

(Those of you who've been on Usenet for a while can stop laughing about
the "Usenet community" thing, too ;).)

Jim

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 04:49:24PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> >                                                    Perhaps this should
> > be taken up as a whole?
> [snip]
>
> I'm not clear on what exactly "as a whole" means, but I would suggest
> that arbitrary and peremptory behaviour, perceived or real, is not
> likely to endear the pgsql community to Usenet newsmasters.

Let's get this straight, what is happening here is the based on the
actions and decisions of a handful of people. The "pgsql community" as
a whole is not involved and I bet most of the "pgsql community" doesn't
care enough about the issue to do anything one way or the other.

To claim that any actions on this issue are representative of any group
is silly. Some individuals are providing a service and some people are
using it. End of story.

Date:
"Gary L. Burnore" <gburnore@databasix.com> wrote:

[snip]

> It's ok. Mysql's better anyway.

Was that absolutely necessary?

Jim

Date:
Jim Seymour wrote:
> "Gary L. Burnore" <gburnore@databasix.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>It's ok. Mysql's better anyway.
>

> Was that absolutely necessary?

Yes. It shows his lack of credibility ;)

Date:
> All I meant was, has core talked about it?

There has been no private discussion among core about it; it's not part
of our charter IMHO.

Personally I think Marc should have waited awhile longer to see whether
the news.groups process would produce a positive vote, but that's just
my own $0.02.  He may well have decided that that wasn't going anywhere.
The part of the discussion that has reached this list certainly has not
given one cause to think it will :-(

            regards, tom lane

Date:
At 05:28 PM 11/23/2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>Jim Seymour wrote:
>>"Gary L. Burnore" <gburnore@databasix.com> wrote:
>>[snip]
>>
>>>It's ok. Mysql's better anyway.
>>
>>Was that absolutely necessary?

Of course not.

>Yes. It shows his lack of credibility ;)

My credibility isn't the issue.  That yet another news server is dropping
comp.databases.postgresql.* SHOULD.  But you really don't care so that's fine.

Date:
At 05:43 PM 11/23/2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> > All I meant was, has core talked about it?
>
>There has been no private discussion among core about it; it's not part
>of our charter IMHO.
>
>Personally I think Marc should have waited awhile longer to see whether
>the news.groups process would produce a positive vote, but that's just
>my own $0.02.  He may well have decided that that wasn't going anywhere.

Which really still isn't his decision to make.  He's stuffing posts to
USENet without consideration for USENet.

>The part of the discussion that has reached this list certainly has not
>given one cause to think it will :-(

That's because the setup is broken.  That's the point of all of this.

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

[snip]

> Personally I think Marc should have waited awhile longer to see whether
> the news.groups process would produce a positive vote, but that's just
> my own $0.02.

That's the way *I* would've preferred to see it handled.  Then again:
*I* was looking forward to the pgsql discussions widely propagated in
Usenet.   Others may not care.

>                He may well have decided that that wasn't going anywhere.
> The part of the discussion that has reached this list certainly has not
> given one cause to think it will :-(

Au contraire.  It looked to me like the general attitude was "Well,
some wrong stuff happened, but now that they've been around as long as
they have, where they have, maybe best to just let 'em become real."

Jim

Date:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

>> All I meant was, has core talked about it?
>
> There has been no private discussion among core about it; it's not part
> of our charter IMHO.
>
> Personally I think Marc should have waited awhile longer to see whether
> the news.groups process would produce a positive vote, but that's just
> my own $0.02.  He may well have decided that that wasn't going anywhere.
> The part of the discussion that has reached this list certainly has not
> given one cause to think it will :-(

If the news.groups stuff does go through, there is no reason why the setup
can't gate to both hierarchhies ... but, the RFD is based on only
officially doing 4 of the 21 groups ... by setting up the pgsql.*
hierarchy, the "bogus groups" stay off of comp.*, and the official ones
can still stay ...

What I've done doesn't eliminate (or shouldn't) the desire for a comp.*
hierarchy of groups for postgresql, it just means that the what will end
up still being considered bogus groups will be able to still be accessible
by those that wish to ...

----

Date:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Jim Seymour wrote:

> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> Personally I think Marc should have waited awhile longer to see whether
>> the news.groups process would produce a positive vote, but that's just
>> my own $0.02.
>
> That's the way *I* would've preferred to see it handled.  Then again:
> *I* was looking forward to the pgsql discussions widely propagated in
> Usenet.   Others may not care.
>
>>                He may well have decided that that wasn't going anywhere.
>> The part of the discussion that has reached this list certainly has not
>> given one cause to think it will :-(
>
> Au contraire.  It looked to me like the general attitude was "Well,
> some wrong stuff happened, but now that they've been around as long as
> they have, where they have, maybe best to just let 'em become real."

And I see things about half way between the two of you ... "let's make
official just a few of the more active groups, and lance the rest" ... by
doing th pgsql.*, it gets them all out of the Big8 and keeps them
accessibl under one hierarchy for those that are reading them via
news.postgresql.org, and if the 4 (or was it 5) that were deemed active
enough for comp.* base the CFV, its not difficult to setup gating for
those few so that posts aren't lose there either ...

----

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> What I've done doesn't eliminate (or shouldn't) the desire for a comp.*
> hierarchy of groups for postgresql, it just means that the what will end
> up still being considered bogus groups will be able to still be accessible
> by those that wish to ...

BTW, you indicated that one of the reasons pressing you to move was that
Google had dropped indexing services for the comp.* groups.  Have they
given you an indication that they would index pgsql.*, or are we just
out of luck on that service?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Due to recent action by Google concerning the
> comp.databases.postgresql.* hierarchy, we are going to make some
> changes that should satisfy just about everyone ... over the next
> 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
> comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
> re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage
> others to do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new
> pgsql.* hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get
> through ...

What exactly is this meant to achieve?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Date:
At 05:57 PM 11/23/2004, Jim Seymour wrote:
>Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >
>[snip]
> >
> > Personally I think Marc should have waited awhile longer to see whether
> > the news.groups process would produce a positive vote, but that's just
> > my own $0.02.
>
>That's the way *I* would've preferred to see it handled.  Then again:
>*I* was looking forward to the pgsql discussions widely propagated in
>Usenet.   Others may not care.
>
> >                He may well have decided that that wasn't going anywhere.
> > The part of the discussion that has reached this list certainly has not
> > given one cause to think it will :-(
>
>Au contraire.  It looked to me like the general attitude was "Well,
>some wrong stuff happened, but now that they've been around as long as
>they have, where they have, maybe best to just let 'em become real."

That's how DataBasix was looking at it once it was discovered the groups
were bogus.  But it appears the best thing to do is drop them.

Date:
At 06:16 PM 11/23/2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > What I've done doesn't eliminate (or shouldn't) the desire for a comp.*
> > hierarchy of groups for postgresql, it just means that the what will end
> > up still being considered bogus groups will be able to still be accessible
> > by those that wish to ...
>
>BTW, you indicated that one of the reasons pressing you to move was that
>Google had dropped indexing services for the comp.* groups.  Have they
>given you an indication that they would index pgsql.*, or are we just
>out of luck on that service?

You'll be _WAY_ out of luck.  But that's what Marc wants.  So why complain?

Date:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> What I've done doesn't eliminate (or shouldn't) the desire for a comp.*
>> hierarchy of groups for postgresql, it just means that the what will end
>> up still being considered bogus groups will be able to still be accessible
>> by those that wish to ...
>
> BTW, you indicated that one of the reasons pressing you to move was that
> Google had dropped indexing services for the comp.* groups.  Have they
> given you an indication that they would index pgsql.*, or are we just
> out of luck on that service?

Right now, from what I've seen/read, even if the RFD/CFV goes through,
google will only pick up those 4 or 5 that were approved ... from checking
on Google itself, it looks like other then the Big8, they pretty much
archive all the non-Big8 hierarchies ...

But, if those 4-5 do end up passing, we can gate those on top of the
"private hierarchy" from a propogation perspective ...

----

Date:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Due to recent action by Google concerning the
>> comp.databases.postgresql.* hierarchy, we are going to make some
>> changes that should satisfy just about everyone ... over the next
>> 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
>> comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
>> re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage
>> others to do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new
>> pgsql.* hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get
>> through ...
>
> What exactly is this meant to achieve?

To clean up the comp.* hierarchy ... evcen if the 4/5 that are being RFDd
right now pass, ppl are going to continue screaming that the other 15-16
should be removed as well ... this way, thos using news.postgresql.org can
still get access to the whole hierarchy, while the comp.* would only carry
those that are deemed "official"

----

Date:

Was what necessary?  (The cheap shot or the fact that he is ill informed?  :)

For the record, I have both mysql and postgresql installations, and postgresql, even without pgadmin
iii, is far superior in MANY ways to mysql.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

Date:
At 07:47 PM 11/23/2004, terry@ashtonwoodshomes.com wrote:
> [...]

Many, maybe. Not all and certainly not more.  Of course, ihat's my OPINION
and I am quite well informed about databases, thankyouverymuch.

I'm also well informed about running an NSP and what kind of mess Marc is
now making and that's still the subject of the thread.

Date:
>BTW, you indicated that one of the reasons pressing you to move was that
>Google had dropped indexing services for the comp.* groups.  Have they
>given you an indication that they would index pgsql.*, or are we just
>out of luck on that service?

Just FYI, it seems that the comp.* groups are fine on Google.
Just not the comp.databases.postgresql.* groups.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
At 08:12 PM 11/23/2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>BTW, you indicated that one of the reasons pressing you to move was that
>>Google had dropped indexing services for the comp.* groups.  Have they
>>given you an indication that they would index pgsql.*, or are we just
>>out of luck on that service?
>>
>Just FYI, it seems that the comp.* groups are fine on Google.
>Just not the comp.databases.postgresql.* groups.

Because, instead of rmgrouping all of the comp groups, they did this:

ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.hackers
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.questions
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.admin
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.general
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.pgadmin.hackers
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.ports.cygwin
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.advocacy
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.announce
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.bugs
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.committers
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.docs
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.jdbc
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.odbc
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.novice
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.performance
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.tr.genel
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.php
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.ports.general
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.ports
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.general
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.pgadmin.support
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.patches
ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.sql

Kinda like we just did.

Date:
gburnore@databasix.com ("Gary L. Burnore") wrote in

> At 03:44 PM 11/23/2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>>>Did you warn the proponent of comp.databases.postgresql.* that you
>>>were going to do this?  Did you read any of the arguments for and
>>>against a completely separate hierarchy that were posted to the RFD
>>>thread in news.groups?
>>
>>Interesting point. What did come of all the arguments? These news
>>server changes seem to be fairly arbitrary and one lined. Perhaps this
>>should be taken up as a whole?
>
> Setting this up outside of the comp. groups tells everyone you want to
> be more like microsoft.* and less like major databases.  Moreover, it
> means less propagation since not all servers will carry them.

And if he plans on having *2* newsgroups for each list (one in comp.* and
one in pgsql.*) then the credibility of his hierarchy will go further down
the drain.

> So much for working out the problems.

No further comment.

--
Bill

Date:
pbk@patrickbkelly.org (Patrick B Kelly) wrote in news:E55E257B-3D95-11D9-
BD24-000A958A3956@patrickbkelly.org:

> The list has been deluged with
> countless angry process oriented messages filled with vitriol and
> devoid of any content regarding the purpose of this forum, we have been
> bombarded with profanity, and the lists have been dropped from google.

The lists were dropped from Google because the newsgroups are using
unauthorized (*stolen*) comp.* namespace. The groups were created by
identity theft and criminal e-mail forgery of the comp.* hierarchy manager
at the time. Did you know that?

Marc can use this as an opportunity to start fresh, but now he wants to
have 2 newsgroups for each list? And you say that he is making things
better?

--

Bill

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> At 07:47 PM 11/23/2004, terry@ashtonwoodshomes.com wrote:

I really wish you would give those of us that don't run an NSP more
information on this, because mostly you've said it's a mess or broken or
wrong without any additional information.  Maybe this seems obvious to
you, but it isn't to most of the rest of us.

I'm also trying to figure out which portions of what Marc is doing are at
what level of badness in your opinion.  I think they're broken into the
following, but I may be misreading his message.

 Not sending mailing list posts to comp.databases.postgresql.*.
 Leaving the groups on his server for incoming messages only.
 Doing another hierarchy in order to provide groups on his own
  server.
 Asking if others wish to get that hierarchy.
 Possibly confusing the issue if some (but not all) of the groups were
  to be voted on and accepted.

Date:
scrappy@postgresql.org ("Marc G. Fournier") wrote in

> Due to recent action by Google concerning the
> comp.databases.postgresql.* hierarchy, we are going to make some
> changes that should satisfy just about everyone ... over the next
> 24hrs or so, traffic *to* comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing
> lists will cease and be re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server
> (and we encourage others to do the same), the comp.* groups will be
> aliased to the new pgsql.* hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups
> will still get through ...
>
> In order to improve propogation, as always, we welcome anyone wishing
> to carry these groups to email usenet@hub.org to get added on as a
> direct peer ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org) Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy
>              ICQ: 7615664

You can't have it both ways, Marc. If you are starting your own hierarchy,
fine, but you still insist on keeping them in comp.* too? You obviously
have zero respect for all of the people that have been involved in this
RFD. Drop the comp.* names entirely unless each individual group passes a
CFV. If not, your new pgsql.* hierarchy will be just as bogus as the
current groups, and don't expect Google to pick them up either.

Date:

Date:
> ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.php
> ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.ports.general
> ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces
> ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.ports
> ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.general
> ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.pgadmin.support
> ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.patches
> ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.sql
>
> Kinda like we just did.

Can we kill this thread now. What will happen will happen.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour) wrote in

> The key words there being "think about," IMO.  For example, the part
> about "would have even more prestige."  Really?  My news server at work
> doesn't carry such newsgroups at all.  Which is pretty much the point
> somebody else made to a similar suggestion.  (I.e.: Propagation might
> be poor.)

It might take a long time for a new hierarchy to become universally
accepted and well propagated, but it is marginally better than having rogue
groups in unauthorized namespace the way it is now.

--

Bill

Date:

"Marc G. Fournier From"@svr1.postgresql.org:
Date:
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour) writes:

>Here's another factoid for you.  When a new big-8 newsgroup is
>approved, an "official" newsgroup creation control message is sent.
>Well, somebody *forged* just such a control message for one-or-more
>comp.databases.postgresql.* newsgroups.

That was *not* done by myself, at any time ... several years back, I created
the groups, opened news.postgresql.org to the public, and lt the groups go
out through my feeds, but at *no point* did I send out a cmsg newgroup on
the groups themselves ...

Date:
gburnore@databasix.com ("Gary L. Burnore") writes:

>At 05:28 PM 11/23/2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>Jim Seymour wrote:
>>>"Gary L. Burnore" <gburnore@databasix.com> wrote:
>>>[snip]

>>>Was that absolutely necessary?

>Of course not.

>>Yes. It shows his lack of credibility ;)

>My credibility isn't the issue.  That yet another news server is dropping
>comp.databases.postgresql.* SHOULD.  But you really don't care so that's fine.

That's the point ... we *NEVER* cared about other news servers carrying
them ... its never been a priority or concern ...

Date:
At 08:58 PM 11/23/2004, you wrote:

>>ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.php
>>ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.ports.general
>>ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces
>>ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.ports
>>ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.general
>>ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.pgadmin.support
>>ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.patches
>>ctlinnd rmgroup comp.databases.postgresql.sql
>>
>>Kinda like we just did.
>

>Can we kill this thread now.

You can do anything want.  Well, no you can't. You can do anything Marc
wants.

>  What will happen will happen.

It already has.

I'll tell you one thing I WON'T miss, the annoying idea of replying to the
poster and the list instead of just to the list.

Date:
"\"Marc G. Fournier From\"@svr1.postgresql.org"@linxnet.com: <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour) writes:
>
> >Here's another factoid for you.  When a new big-8 newsgroup is
> >approved, an "official" newsgroup creation control message is sent.
> >Well, somebody *forged* just such a control message for one-or-more
> >comp.databases.postgresql.* newsgroups.
>
> That was *not* done by myself, at any time ... several years back, I created
> the groups, opened news.postgresql.org to the public, and lt the groups go
> out through my feeds, but at *no point* did I send out a cmsg newgroup on
> the groups themselves ...

Didn't say you did, Marc.  Didn't mean to so much as imply it was you.
If that's the way it came across: Please accept my apologies.

Hadn't even occurred to me it might have been you.  Had they been
signed by you: Sure.  But, tho I don't know you, somehow I can't
imagine you forging approvals for bogus newsgroups.  If I were a
gambling man, my bet would be on somebody that wanted to see the bogus
newsgroups on whatever they had for news service.

I wonder if it worked?

Anyway, I was just pointing-out that one-or-more forged cmsg's were
sent, that the person to whom I replied might better understand just
how messed-up things were.

Jim

Date:
At 11:56 PM 11/23/2004, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> [...]

It appears that his aliiasing hasn't actually taken effect yet. Once it
does, apparently things will be slightly better because he's then sending
posts to pgsql.* not comp.databases.postgres.* .    As of a short while
ago, we were still receiving articles from the list.  Now they show up in
our unwanted.log file as groups we refuse to carry.  (The same thing google
did).

We've removed all of the comp.databases.postgres.* groups from our server
and our feeds anyway.  Do did google.  So will anyone else who's still
holding the bogus groups.

Basically, the thing that Marc is doing that's 'bad', is unilaterally
making changes that effect your list without any discussion with those who
it effects either ON the list or in USENet.  USENet people tried to help
and got a "we don't see it as broken from our side so who cares?" attitude.

So now you'll have less places passing your posts along to the next NSP.
Less propigation.  I know of at least two, DataBasix and Google.  I'm sure
there are more.

Marc's choice. Maybe not yours.  But as he's already shown me, who cares?

Date:
gburnore@databasix.com ("Gary L. Burnore") writes:

>At 07:47 PM 11/23/2004, terry@ashtonwoodshomes.com wrote:

As Russ has help'd show on news.groups this evening, you have very littl
understaning of the changes that I've just made ... for someone that runs
a news server, not knowing what "newsgroup aliasing" means seems to be a
relativly key deficiency in knowledge :(

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Greg Stark
Date:
I'm not sure, (RFC2822 grammar parsing is touchy stuff) but I think this email
address you posted from is messed up:

"\"\\"Marc G. Fournier From\\"@svr1.postgresql.org\":" <scrappy@hub.org>

That is, I think the display-name part of the address after unquoting is:

"\Marc G. Fournier From \@svr1.postgresql.org":

Which seems like a strange display-name and maybe not what you would have
hoped for.

In particular it seems to have confused Gnus enough so that it displays your
messages as having come from "\". That is, just the backslash.

--
greg

Date:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:07:04PM -0500, Gary L. Burnore wrote:
> We've removed all of the comp.databases.postgres.* groups from our server
> and our feeds anyway.  Do did google.  So will anyone else who's still
> holding the bogus groups.
>
> Basically, the thing that Marc is doing that's 'bad', is unilaterally
> making changes that effect your list without any discussion with those who
> it effects either ON the list or in USENet.  USENet people tried to help
> and got a "we don't see it as broken from our side so who cares?" attitude.

I thought initially too that the discussion was "we have some bogus
groups here, lets just formalise them and all will be well". However,
the groups are being given no repreive, they're being dropped all over
the place, now. So from a purly practical point of view the right way
to go is to remove all the bogus groups and create them elsewhere.
After all, people still want to read them on usenet.

Even after the CFV goes through, the remaining dozen groups will still
be bogus and still need a place to live. Hence pgsql.*

This all perfectly logical reasoning, I honestly can't understand why
this is "bad". It's the only way by my understanding. As someone who
left usenet five years ago, all I can see are social problems not
technical ones.

As for the list, it's been around for more than six years and will keep
going, with or without usenet.

Good day,

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Andrew - Supernews
Date:
On 2004-11-23, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Due to recent action by Google concerning the
>>> comp.databases.postgresql.* hierarchy, we are going to make some
>>> changes that should satisfy just about everyone ... over the next
>>> 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
>>> comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
>>> re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage
>>> others to do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new
>>> pgsql.* hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get
>>> through ...
>>
>> What exactly is this meant to achieve?
>
> To clean up the comp.* hierarchy ... evcen if the 4/5 that are being RFDd
> right now pass, ppl are going to continue screaming that the other 15-16
> should be removed as well ... this way, thos using news.postgresql.org can
> still get access to the whole hierarchy, while the comp.* would only carry
> those that are deemed "official"

Any chance of there being regular (or even only occasional) signed
checkgroups messages for the new hierarchy?

--
Andrew, Supernews

Date:
On 2004-11-24, Marc G Fournier From : <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
> andrew+nonews@supernews.com (Andrew - Supernews) writes:
>>Any chance of there being regular (or even only occasional) signed
>>checkgroups messages for the new hierarchy?
>
> Sure, but I've never done it before, so if you can help ... ?

Sure. You can reach me by email or on the irc chan. You should already have
a copy of the signcontrol script itself (it's in the INN distribution).
The format of a checkgroups message is simple: one line in the message
body per newsgroup in this format:

group.name(tabs)Description of group

The description must end with " (Moderated)" (without the quotes) if it is
a moderated group in the Usenet sense, and not otherwise. Conventionally
the separator is enough tabs so that the description starts in column 24,
but the only real requirement is that there be one or more tabs (and not
any other sort of whitespace, and no tabs in the description). This is the
same format as the newsgroups file in INN.

For the headers, you want "Control: checkgroups", an Approved header,
and a Newsgroups: header with an appropriate announcement group in
(pgsql.announce should do; the message won't show up to normal readers).

Checkgroups should be posted preferably after any change to the group
list, and once per month or two even if there are no changes. Obviously
you need an appropriate PGP or GPG key (RSA seems to be best as far as
compatibility goes), which has to be published somewhere (but doesn't need
to be on keyservers).

Let me know if you have any questions or if you want me to verify any
messages.

--
Andrew, Supernews

Date:
gburnore@databasix.com ("Gary L. Burnore") writes:

>It appears that his aliiasing hasn't actually taken effect yet. Once it
>does, apparently things will be slightly better because he's then sending
>posts to pgsql.* not comp.databases.postgres.* .    As of a short while
>ago, we were still receiving articles from the list.  Now they show up in
>our unwanted.log file as groups we refuse to carry.  (The same thing google
>did).

of course, as those that know how to run a news server have already pointed
out to you on news.groups, the reason why you are receiving posts to the
comp.* groups still is most likely a result of propogation issues from other
news server, or other news servers that have users posting to those groups ...

... but, like with all your other postings, you like to avoid the facts and
deal with your own personal version of reality instead ...

>So now you'll have less places passing your posts along to the next NSP.
>Less propigation.  I know of at least two, DataBasix and Google.  I'm sure
>there are more.

Of course, that avoids the fact that the groups were *always* bogus but
you created them anyway, without twisting your arm, I might add ... but,
that's okay, again, that goes back to your view of reality vs the rest
of the worlds ...

See, the way I see it, you created the groups because there was traffic in
them, the same as every other site out there did that is carrying them, since
there never was a cmsg sent out to create them ...

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 11/23/2004 4:46 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> It's ok. Mysql's better anyway.

This is the attitude I've seen from many of the pro-usenet people. If I
don't get it my way I will bash your project and try to do harm.

I am too one of those who have left usenet many years ago. Partly
because of people with this attitude. And I don't consider it much of a
loss if we lose the "message" to these people.

Jan

Date:
On 11/23/2004 4:37 PM, Woodchuck Bill wrote:

> pbk@patrickbkelly.org (Patrick B Kelly) wrote in news:E55E257B-3D95-11D9-
> BD24-000A958A3956@patrickbkelly.org:
>
>> The list has been deluged with
>> countless angry process oriented messages filled with vitriol and
>> devoid of any content regarding the purpose of this forum, we have been
>> bombarded with profanity, and the lists have been dropped from google.
>
> The lists were dropped from Google because the newsgroups are using
> unauthorized (*stolen*) comp.* namespace. The groups were created by
> identity theft and criminal e-mail forgery of the comp.* hierarchy manager
> at the time. Did you know that?

Isn't what Marc just proposed, to stop forwarding traffic into that
stolen namespace, exactly the right thing?

I agree with Marc. It was time to stop this nonsense debate and make
decisions. However unpopular these decisions might be to the fistfull of
contributors that use newsgroups, the way major members of the
PostgreSQL community are treated here does IMHO more harm to the project
than any single NSP carrying any of there groups is worth.

Jan

Date:
On 11/29/2004 11:53 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:
> Stay out of my email.

This ia a PostgreSQL related topic discussed on PostgreSQL mailing lists
and you react like this to a mail from a PostgreSQL CORE team member?
Rethink your attitude.

Jan

Date:
On 11/30/2004 2:37 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I don't care WHO you are. I've already asked you
> once to stay out of my email.  Further emails from you will be reported to
> both Yahoo and Comcast as harassment.
>
> I'm not on your list.
>    _I_ am posting to a USENet discussion group.  Your list is broken.
>
> Do NOT email me again.

Oh my,

after reading this he really caught my attention. You have to google for
"Gary Burnore" a little. This guy has a record ...

It seems to me that the whole RFD/CFV thing has attracted a bunch of net
kooks and individuals who have nothing better to do than wasting other
peoples time. Marc, can you add a kill line on the mail/news gateway so
that messages from this guy (and as they pop up more of his kind) don't
pollute our mailing lists and stay on the news side of it only? If not I
will just add a /dev/null line for this idiot to my procmail config.

Jan

Date:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Jan Wieck wrote:

> On 11/30/2004 2:37 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I don't care WHO you are. I've already asked you
>> once to stay out of my email.  Further emails from you will be reported to
>> both Yahoo and Comcast as harassment.
>>
>> I'm not on your list.
>>    _I_ am posting to a USENet discussion group.  Your list is broken.
>>
>> Do NOT email me again.
>
> Oh my,
>
> after reading this he really caught my attention. You have to google for
> "Gary Burnore" a little. This guy has a record ...
>
> It seems to me that the whole RFD/CFV thing has attracted a bunch of net
> kooks and individuals who have nothing better to do than wasting other
> peoples time. Marc, can you add a kill line on the mail/news gateway so that
> messages from this guy (and as they pop up more of his kind) don't pollute
> our mailing lists and stay on the news side of it only? If not I will just
> add a /dev/null line for this idiot to my procmail config.

Done :)

And he's pretty much considered a net.kook on news.groups itself too ...

----

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

Date:
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> Oh my,

> after reading this he really caught my attention. You have to google for
> "Gary Burnore" a little. This guy has a record ...

gburnore was known far and wide as a net.asshole when I dropped out of
Usenet, lo these many years ago.  Doesn't look like he's acquired any
social skills since then :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Geoffrey
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>Oh my,
>

>>after reading this he really caught my attention. You have to google for
>>"Gary Burnore" a little. This guy has a record ...
>

> gburnore was known far and wide as a net.asshole when I dropped out of
> Usenet, lo these many years ago.  Doesn't look like he's acquired any
> social skills since then :-(

Just the kind of person who ruined news groups.  I've not been back to
them in years.  Such a waste of a great resource.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Date:
On 11/30/2004 11:46 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2004 2:37 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I don't care WHO you are. I've already asked you
>>> once to stay out of my email.  Further emails from you will be reported to
>>> both Yahoo and Comcast as harassment.
>>>
>>> I'm not on your list.
>>>    _I_ am posting to a USENet discussion group.  Your list is broken.
>>>
>>> Do NOT email me again.
>>
>> Oh my,
>>
>> after reading this he really caught my attention. You have to google for
>> "Gary Burnore" a little. This guy has a record ...
>>
>> It seems to me that the whole RFD/CFV thing has attracted a bunch of net
>> kooks and individuals who have nothing better to do than wasting other
>> peoples time. Marc, can you add a kill line on the mail/news gateway so that
>> messages from this guy (and as they pop up more of his kind) don't pollute
>> our mailing lists and stay on the news side of it only? If not I will just
>> add a /dev/null line for this idiot to my procmail config.
>
> Done :)

Thanks!

> And he's pretty much considered a net.kook on news.groups itself too ...

That, etc. and so on ... ranges from spamming to criminal charges for
molesting. The only good thing I found about him is that he can serve as
a bad example.

Jan

Date:
JanWieck@Yahoo.com (Jan Wieck) wrote in news:41AD4538.5080205@Yahoo.com:

> On 11/30/2004 2:37 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I don't care WHO you are. I've already asked
>> you once to stay out of my email.  Further emails from you will be
>> reported to both Yahoo and Comcast as harassment.
>>
>> I'm not on your list.
>>    _I_ am posting to a USENet discussion group.  Your list is broken.
>>
>> Do NOT email me again.
>
> Oh my,
>
> after reading this he really caught my attention. You have to google
> for "Gary Burnore" a little. This guy has a record ...
>
> It seems to me that the whole RFD/CFV thing has attracted a bunch of
> net kooks and individuals who have nothing better to do than wasting
> other peoples time. Marc, can you add a kill line on the mail/news
> gateway so that messages from this guy (and as they pop up more of his
> kind) don't pollute our mailing lists and stay on the news side of it
> only? If not I will just add a /dev/null line for this idiot to my
> procmail config.
>

> Jan

Jan, Gary may be blunt at times, but try to understand things from his
perspective. He is posting to Usenet. He expects his replies to appear on
Usenet. You are accustomed to your way of writing and reading messages. He
is accustomed to his way. Perhaps a bit overstated, his point is that if
one or more comp.databases.postgresql.* Big Eight newsgroups are created,
and they are gated to these mailing lists, it would open the doors for
potentially many more participants from the Usenet side. Some of these
participants will be just as confused and annoyed about why they are
receiving so many e-mails after they post to Usenet. New posters will
probably not even know that the groups were gated to the lists, so they
expect unmoderated responses to Usenet, not messages from people they don't
know, or messages from a moderator's auto-robot.

This is a difficult situation, and it does not look like a balance to
satisfy both sides is anywhere in sight. That is probably why the proponent
(Mike Cox) decided that it was best to create a new comp.* group with a
new, simpler name, with no gating to any of the lists. There has been a
great deal of emotional "spirit" involved in this proposal. I apologize if
I personally offended anyone, but there were some things that needed to be
said.

Now that the smoke is clearing, look at the benefits of what has happened
so far. PostgreSQL has its own dedicated, ISC-recognized hierarchy. Some of
the biggest NSPs in the world are carrying (or soon-to-be carrying) all the
groups in the hierarchy..Supernews, Altopia, Newsreader.com, Newsfeeds,
Usenetserver.com are currently carrying all 29 groups. Individual.net and
Google Groups have confirmed that they will be adding them within several
weeks (I put in both requests myself, and they replied). Even Gary Burnore
has agreed to add the groups to his spool, at the request of one of his
customers.

There is already enough peering and propagation for the groups so that
anyone could make a simple request from their news provider to carry the
groups, and those requests are usually honored if the hierarchy is
recognized and the groups are well-propagated. The ungated comp.* group is
icing on the cake. It will not hurt Pgsql if it passes, it will compliment
it..another resource for a top-notch work of software. If you are worried
about brain-drain (good people leaving the lists for the comp.* group),
then you have nothing to worry about. Everything seems to be working out
for the best, even as ugly as the situation has appeared at times.

Date:
On 12/1/2004 1:25 PM, Woodchuck Bill wrote:

> Jan, Gary may be blunt at times, but try to understand things from his
> perspective. He is posting to Usenet. He expects his replies to appear on
> Usenet. You are accustomed to your way of writing and reading messages. He
> is accustomed to his way. Perhaps a bit overstated, his point is that if
> [...]

Do I really have to try to understand things from his perspective?

Please realize that nearly all of the long standing developers, key
community members and active supporters of the PostgreSQL project have
usenet experience. People like Gary are one of the reasons why we prefer
using mailing lists to do our communication today, and it has served us
well over several years. The short survey among these people (who are
the ones answering the vast majority of questions on our lists) showed
that basically none of us would consider using news instead of these
mailing lists.

We have also developed the habit to use group-reply to all header
addresses since many of us (due to the high email volume) use some kind
of email sorting and filtering programs (like procmail) to not find all
list email in our inbox, but to find emails that are in reply to our own
messages there, or in special folders.

And there you have the real problem and incompatibility. The PostgreSQL
developers and experts are all on the mailing lists, and they will stay
there and most probably continue to use group reply most of the time.
That means that as long as postings to the newsgroups are gated to the
lists, the people asking questions on the newsgroups will find email
answers in their inbox, and if we stop gating from news to lists they
will get very few answers from the experts because we don't even see the
questions. I don't know if some "I guess ..." from another newbie is as
helpfull as an answer from Tom Lane backed by code knowledge, but that
is what most answers on the news side without gating would probably look
like.

Gary threatened to report any further email from me as harassment to
abuse@yahoo and abuse@comcast. The IMHO correct measurement to that was
to add a kill line to the news->list gateway that just stops his
postings to get into my (or anybody elses) way. The kill line got added
and nobody on the mailing lists will see his postings any more.
Fortunately most people involved in PostgreSQL are very level headed,
have a high level of tolerance and usually real world problems. The
newsgroup stirrup that dragged all the net.kook attention will calm down
and Gary will find another "field of work" pretty soon. The people
posting questions via news will learn that and why they get the real
answers via email to their inbox. And they will care as little about it
as they did so far, because the DBA who has a production database at
halt in the middle of the night really doesn't care how the answer that
gets his server going again arrived, he is stressed, overworked and has
way bigger fish to fry than "an email response to a news posting isn't
correct, your lists are broken, yadda, yadda". He does the happydance
for getting an answer in 2 hours without dialing through 3 hotline levels.

So to answer my own question: No, I don't have to try to understand
things from his perspective. Gary Burnore is irrelevant, will disappear
very soon and we will just continue to go about our business, help real
people with real database related problems.

Jan

Select Database

From
"ON.KG"
Date:
Hi All!

How could I select another database without new connection?

For example, in PHP+MySQL we have mysql_select_db('database_name');

Thanx

Re: Select Database

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 12/2/2004 4:39 AM, ON.KG wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> How could I select another database without new connection?
>
> For example, in PHP+MySQL we have mysql_select_db('database_name');

You can't. An existing session cannot change the database connected to.

Jan

Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From
Chris Green
Date:
On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 06:25:53PM +0000, Woodchuck Bill wrote:

> Jan, Gary may be blunt at times, but try to understand things from his
> perspective. He is posting to Usenet. He expects his replies to appear on
> Usenet. You are accustomed to your way of writing and reading messages. He
> is accustomed to his way. Perhaps a bit overstated, his point is that if
> one or more comp.databases.postgresql.* Big Eight newsgroups are created,
> and they are gated to these mailing lists, it would open the doors for
> potentially many more participants from the Usenet side. Some of these
> participants will be just as confused and annoyed about why they are
> receiving so many e-mails after they post to Usenet. New posters will
> probably not even know that the groups were gated to the lists, so they
> expect unmoderated responses to Usenet, not messages from people they don't
> know, or messages from a moderator's auto-robot.

FWIW mutt (the MUA) has both a mailing list and a newsgroup, there is
no passing of messages from one to the other at all.  There are quite
a few people (me included) who frequent both the newsgroup and the
mailing list.  It all seems to work quite well.

In the case of mutt the mailing list tends to get the more specialised
mutt related discussion whereas the newsgroup gets more beginners and
general questions.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence."

Re: Select Database

From
"ON.KG"
Date: