Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Woodchuck Bill
Subject Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...
Date
Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...
List pgsql-general
JanWieck@Yahoo.com (Jan Wieck) wrote in news:41AD4538.5080205@Yahoo.com:

> On 11/30/2004 2:37 PM, Gary L. Burnore wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I don't care WHO you are. I've already asked
>> you once to stay out of my email.  Further emails from you will be
>> reported to both Yahoo and Comcast as harassment.
>>
>> I'm not on your list.
>>    _I_ am posting to a USENet discussion group.  Your list is broken.
>>
>> Do NOT email me again.
>
> Oh my,
>
> after reading this he really caught my attention. You have to google
> for "Gary Burnore" a little. This guy has a record ...
>
> It seems to me that the whole RFD/CFV thing has attracted a bunch of
> net kooks and individuals who have nothing better to do than wasting
> other peoples time. Marc, can you add a kill line on the mail/news
> gateway so that messages from this guy (and as they pop up more of his
> kind) don't pollute our mailing lists and stay on the news side of it
> only? If not I will just add a /dev/null line for this idiot to my
> procmail config.
>

> Jan

Jan, Gary may be blunt at times, but try to understand things from his
perspective. He is posting to Usenet. He expects his replies to appear on
Usenet. You are accustomed to your way of writing and reading messages. He
is accustomed to his way. Perhaps a bit overstated, his point is that if
one or more comp.databases.postgresql.* Big Eight newsgroups are created,
and they are gated to these mailing lists, it would open the doors for
potentially many more participants from the Usenet side. Some of these
participants will be just as confused and annoyed about why they are
receiving so many e-mails after they post to Usenet. New posters will
probably not even know that the groups were gated to the lists, so they
expect unmoderated responses to Usenet, not messages from people they don't
know, or messages from a moderator's auto-robot.

This is a difficult situation, and it does not look like a balance to
satisfy both sides is anywhere in sight. That is probably why the proponent
(Mike Cox) decided that it was best to create a new comp.* group with a
new, simpler name, with no gating to any of the lists. There has been a
great deal of emotional "spirit" involved in this proposal. I apologize if
I personally offended anyone, but there were some things that needed to be
said.

Now that the smoke is clearing, look at the benefits of what has happened
so far. PostgreSQL has its own dedicated, ISC-recognized hierarchy. Some of
the biggest NSPs in the world are carrying (or soon-to-be carrying) all the
groups in the hierarchy..Supernews, Altopia, Newsreader.com, Newsfeeds,
Usenetserver.com are currently carrying all 29 groups. Individual.net and
Google Groups have confirmed that they will be adding them within several
weeks (I put in both requests myself, and they replied). Even Gary Burnore
has agreed to add the groups to his spool, at the request of one of his
customers.

There is already enough peering and propagation for the groups so that
anyone could make a simple request from their news provider to carry the
groups, and those requests are usually honored if the hierarchy is
recognized and the groups are well-propagated. The ungated comp.* group is
icing on the cake. It will not hurt Pgsql if it passes, it will compliment
it..another resource for a top-notch work of software. If you are worried
about brain-drain (good people leaving the lists for the comp.* group),
then you have nothing to worry about. Everything seems to be working out
for the best, even as ugly as the situation has appeared at times.