Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.

From
Al Cohen
Date:
At the risk of being violently flamed...

You might consider ASP.NET/C#:
- It is a REAL programming language, like Java
- It's almost as easy-to-use as PHP
- The IDE and "development paradigm" are superb, superb, superb: they
basically borrowed Delphi's IDE (and stole Delphi's architect, Anders
Hjelsberg)
- Deployment is astonishingly simple.

I suspect that there is no faster and easier way to get applications
completed then by using ASP.NET.  The C#-only version of Visual Studio
is only $100, and it's not missing anything that's important to most
people - but you'll also need IIS (e.g., Win XP Pro).  There's also a
stripped-down freeware version, the MS Web Matrix.  IIS costs more than
freeware, but not a whole lot: and is very easy to use and live with.

if (thinking of flaming me)
{
    I also think that PostgreSQL is the best database around;
    I hated MS programming products from VB4 until .NET.  Standard ASP
was/is awful;
}

Good luck!

Al Cohen
www.alcohen.com

Andrew Falanga wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My question pertains to what is the better choice.  I know that, in a
> large part, the answer is probably, "It depends on what you want."
> However, I thought that I would ask the question of the experts before
> sinking money in to a book.
>
> The goal is to create an application, in the form of a web page, that
> links to a postgres database.  The application will ultimately be full
> featured and so on, but at first I just want it running.
>
> So, what I'm wondering is, which platform offers better (more stable,
> ease of use, ease of maintainability, etc.) support for developing such
> an application.  One consideration that has been brought to my attention
> is that PHP is natively supported by Apache and JSP requires a separate
> interpreter (Jakarta or whatever).
>
> Beside this, I'm really just wanting to know (in your oppinions) which
> has better hooks, more functionality (if that's relavent), etc.  Please,
> I'm really not trying to start a "holy" war or something, and I truly
> hope this isn't taken a trolling, I just don't know how to answer these
> questions.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.

From
Michael Chaney
Date:
Not reading the newsgroup, I missed the original.  But here's my two
cents.

First, do not use Microsoft products on a web server unless you want to
spend all your time applying patches and cleaning up the results of your
server being used as a warez site.  The initial setup might be easy, but
the ongoing maintenance will kill you.  Not to mention the fact that it
doesn't make good business sense to pay for something (web server +
programming language) when you can get equivalent functionality for
free.

Beyond that, the question is which technology to use.  The answer is
"what do your developers and sysadmins know?"  If you have Java
developers, then use it.  If you have PHP developers, use it.  There's
an obvious limit to this (i.e. "I have cobol developers), but anybody
reasonably trained in modern computing will be able to use any of these
languages to accomplish the goal, so the differentiation is the startup
time.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney
mdchaney@michaelchaney.com

Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.

From
Mark Kirkwood
Date:
In terms of getting a page up and working, then PHP likely to be
quicker, as its pretty easy to learn.
Java kind of demands you learn more "machinary" before doing much, but
it may provide you with more capability once you get comfortable with it.

In terms of installing and configuring, well PHP is just an Apache
module, so it is reasonably easy to get going.
To get JSP's going you really need to use a servlet engine (e.g Jakarta
Tomcat) - you dont *actually* need Apache httpd at all in this case
(there are reasons to have it tho, and there is an Apache module to link
'em - mod_jk or mod_jk2).

To further confuse, there are a number open source J2EE engines that
offer more functionality than Tomcat - (Jboss and Jetty come immediately
to mind).

Any of these would actually be a good choice - hope I have helped :-)

regards

Mark