Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Chaney
Subject Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.
Date
List pgsql-general
Not reading the newsgroup, I missed the original.  But here's my two
cents.

First, do not use Microsoft products on a web server unless you want to
spend all your time applying patches and cleaning up the results of your
server being used as a warez site.  The initial setup might be easy, but
the ongoing maintenance will kill you.  Not to mention the fact that it
doesn't make good business sense to pay for something (web server +
programming language) when you can get equivalent functionality for
free.

Beyond that, the question is which technology to use.  The answer is
"what do your developers and sysadmins know?"  If you have Java
developers, then use it.  If you have PHP developers, use it.  There's
an obvious limit to this (i.e. "I have cobol developers), but anybody
reasonably trained in modern computing will be able to use any of these
languages to accomplish the goal, so the differentiation is the startup
time.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney