Re: Shared memory errors during initdb in Mac OS X - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Shared memory errors during initdb in Mac OS X
Date
List pgsql-general
John Siracusa <siracusa@mindspring.com> writes:
> and then restarted.  Now it works, but I'm not sure if it was the change in
> settings or the restart that fixed it.  Obviously I had to restart to make
> the changes take effect, but my theory before I bit the bullet and restarted
> was that some stale shared memory was lurking, making too little available
> for Postgres.

I was wondering about that as I read your message, but my recollection
is that you get a different kernel error code (not "Invalid argument")
if the request size would be legal by itself but is rejected due to
other pre-existing allocations.  You might want to try deliberately
provoking such a situation and see what error you get.

> This leads to me next question: is there an equivalent to the ipcs command
> for Mac OS X?

Not that I've found.  It's a very annoying omission :-(.  I'm not sure
if Darwin is sufficiently BSD-ish that it would work to compile up ipcs
from one of the BSD distributions, but you could try ...

            regards, tom lane