Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.
Date
List pgsql-general
In terms of getting a page up and working, then PHP likely to be
quicker, as its pretty easy to learn.
Java kind of demands you learn more "machinary" before doing much, but
it may provide you with more capability once you get comfortable with it.

In terms of installing and configuring, well PHP is just an Apache
module, so it is reasonably easy to get going.
To get JSP's going you really need to use a servlet engine (e.g Jakarta
Tomcat) - you dont *actually* need Apache httpd at all in this case
(there are reasons to have it tho, and there is an Apache module to link
'em - mod_jk or mod_jk2).

To further confuse, there are a number open source J2EE engines that
offer more functionality than Tomcat - (Jboss and Jetty come immediately
to mind).

Any of these would actually be a good choice - hope I have helped :-)

regards

Mark