datestyle in postgresql.conf, version 7.4

From
Jean-Max Reymond
Date:
I want to have the date in french format for my postgres 7.4 database.
reading the documentation, three ways to get it.
1. set datestyle to 'postgres,european';  for each session,  it works OK
2. old style export
PGDATESTYLE='Postgres,European';/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl  -D
/home/local/BasePostgres/ -l logfile -o -i start  it works OK
3. datestyle="Postgres, European" in the postgresql.conf file, but
unfortunately it does nor work

what's wrong?

--
Jean-Max Reymond email: jmreymond@free.fr tel: 33 (0)6 16 94 25 11
http://jmreymond.free.fr/Etna2002

Re: datestyle in postgresql.conf, version 7.4

Date:
Jean-Max Reymond <jmreymond@free.fr> writes:
> 3. datestyle="Postgres, European" in the postgresql.conf file, but
> unfortunately it does nor work

I think you need single quotes in that file.  Try

datestyle='Postgres, European'

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>Jean-Max Reymond <jmreymond@free.fr> writes:
>

>>3. datestyle="Postgres, European" in the postgresql.conf file, but
>>unfortunately it does nor work
>>

>I think you need single quotes in that file.  Try
>
>datestyle='Postgres, European'

sorry, but it does not work with simple or double quotes :-(

--

Date:
Jean-Max Reymond <jmreymond@free.fr> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think you need single quotes in that file.  Try
>> datestyle='Postgres, European'
>>
> sorry, but it does not work with simple or double quotes :-(

Works for me (with single quotes).  Did you remember to SIGHUP the
postmaster (eg with "pg_ctl reload") after editing the config file?

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>Jean-Max Reymond <jmreymond@free.fr> writes:
>

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>I think you need single quotes in that file.  Try
>>>datestyle='Postgres, European'
>>>

>>sorry, but it does not work with simple or double quotes :-(
>>

>Works for me (with single quotes).  Did you remember to SIGHUP the
>postmaster (eg with "pg_ctl reload") after editing the config file?
>
>            regards, tom lane

I stop the postmaster (/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl stop) and restart the
postmaster (/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl  -D /home/local/BasePostgres/ -l
logfile -o -i start).

I have tried with and without blanks near = (

datestyle='Postgres, European'
and
datestyle = 'Postgres, European'

but not successfull

--

Date:
Oliver Elphick wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 23:01, Jean-Max Reymond wrote:
>

>>I stop the postmaster (/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl stop) and restart the
>>postmaster (/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl  -D /home/local/BasePostgres/ -l
>>logfile -o -i start).
>>
>>I have tried with and without blanks near = (
>>
>>datestyle='Postgres, European'
>>and
>>datestyle = 'Postgres, European'
>>
>>but not successfull
>>

>Are you editing the right postgresql.conf file?  It should be in
>$PGDATA.

Oups, you're right. I'am very confused. I have two repositories (one for
7.3 and one for 7.4) and it was not the good one!!!
thanks a lot. NOw, it works like a charm