Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Need concrete "Why Postgres not MySQL" bullet list

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 21 Aug 2003 at 0:22, Ian Barwick wrote:
> * DDL
> - Data definition language (table creation statements etc.) in MySQL
> are not transaction based and cannot be rolled back.

Just wondering, what other databases has transactable DDLs? oracle seems to
have autonomous transactions which is arthogonal.

If we are going to compare it, we are going to need it against other databases
as well.

Personally I find transactable DDL's a big plus of postgresql. It allows real
funcky application design at times..:-)

Bye
 Shridhar

--
drug, n:    A substance that, injected into a rat, produces a scientific paper.

Re: [HACKERS] [pgsql-advocacy] Need concrete "Why Postgres not MySQL" bullet list

From
Manfred Koizar
Date:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:45:03 +0530, "Shridhar Daithankar"
<shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> wrote:
>Just wondering, what other databases has transactable DDLs?

Firebird.

Servus
 Manfred

Date:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:05:52 +0200, I wrote:
>>Just wondering, what other databases has transactable DDLs?
>
>Firebird.

Stop!  I withdraw that statement.  I must have mis-read some feature
list :-(

Tests with InterBase 6 showed that you can change metadata within a
transaction, but when you ROLLBACK, metadata changes persist.

Servus
 Manfred

On Thursday 21 August 2003 21:30, Manfred Koizar wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:05:52 +0200, I wrote:
> >>Just wondering, what other databases has transactable DDLs?
> >
> >Firebird.
>
> Stop!  I withdraw that statement.  I must have mis-read some feature
> list :-(
>
> Tests with InterBase 6 showed that you can change metadata within a
> transaction, but when you ROLLBACK, metadata changes persist.

Aha. I was just about to ask about that, because I was experimenting
with a 1.5 beta version without success. Doesn't seem to work there
(though as I have little experience and virtually no docs I might
be missing something).

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Date:
On Thursday 21 August 2003 11:15, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2003 at 0:22, Ian Barwick wrote:
> > * DDL
> > - Data definition language (table creation statements etc.) in MySQL
> > are not transaction based and cannot be rolled back.
>
> Just wondering, what other databases has transactable DDLs? oracle seems to
> have autonomous transactions which is arthogonal.

DB2 8.1 seems to support transaction-capable DDL. At least, a rollback
following a CREATE TABLE causes the table to disappear. Haven't gone
into it in any depth.

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: [HACKERS] [pgsql-advocacy] Need concrete "Why

From
Ron Johnson
Date:
On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 14:30, Manfred Koizar wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:05:52 +0200, I wrote:
> >>Just wondering, what other databases has transactable DDLs?
> >
> >Firebird.

Rdb/VMS, but your pockets had better be deep...

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"they love our milk and honey, but preach about another way of living"
Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"

Date:
On 21 Aug 2003 at 21:30, Manfred Koizar wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:05:52 +0200, I wrote:
> >>Just wondering, what other databases has transactable DDLs?
> >
> >Firebird.
>
> Stop!  I withdraw that statement.  I must have mis-read some feature
> list :-(
>
> Tests with InterBase 6 showed that you can change metadata within a
> transaction, but when you ROLLBACK, metadata changes persist.

Well, isql documentation mentions that DDLs don't go to database unless you
commit and autoddl parameter defaults to true.

Looks like there definition of transactable does not include a rollback case.
Oops!

BTW any comments on storing an entire database in single file? I don't trust
any file system for performance and data integrity if I have single 100GB file.
I would rather have multiple of them..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Moore's Constant:    Everybody sets out to do something, and everybody    does
something, but no one does what he sets out to do.