Re: [HACKERS] [pgsql-advocacy] Need concrete "Why Postgres not MySQL" bullet list - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [pgsql-advocacy] Need concrete "Why Postgres not MySQL" bullet list
Date
List pgsql-general
On 21 Aug 2003 at 21:30, Manfred Koizar wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:05:52 +0200, I wrote:
> >>Just wondering, what other databases has transactable DDLs?
> >
> >Firebird.
>
> Stop!  I withdraw that statement.  I must have mis-read some feature
> list :-(
>
> Tests with InterBase 6 showed that you can change metadata within a
> transaction, but when you ROLLBACK, metadata changes persist.

Well, isql documentation mentions that DDLs don't go to database unless you
commit and autoddl parameter defaults to true.

Looks like there definition of transactable does not include a rollback case.
Oops!

BTW any comments on storing an entire database in single file? I don't trust
any file system for performance and data integrity if I have single 100GB file.
I would rather have multiple of them..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Moore's Constant:    Everybody sets out to do something, and everybody    does
something, but no one does what he sets out to do.