SAPdb vs. Postgresql

From
"John Wells"
Date:
Hello all.

A client of mine asked me today how SAPdb (http://www.sapdb.org) compares
with Postgresql.

Anyone know?  If you have had any experience with SAPdb, or have any
pointers to benchmarks, comparisons, etc., I'd really appreciate it if you
could pass them along.

Thanks!

John

Re: SAPdb vs. Postgresql

From
David Griffiths
Date:
We looked at SAP vs PostgresQL for a number of reasons.

One was that it was supposed to be more "enterprise ready". Supposedly it
had replication, but in the latest version, they renamed it; their
replication was more of a import-export utility.

SAP is strange. The setup it unusual, and poorly documented. The usage is
poorly documented. Finally, when we went to use SAP, it worked for a while,
then the database seemed to get corrupted.

I wrote up some quick notes on SAP if you are interested.

Overall, we weren't impressed. There is support on the newsgroups, but the
volume isn't a 10th of what you'll find on PostgresQL.

Also, look at MySQL 4 - with InnoDB and replication, it's looking good. 4.1
will have subselects.

David.

Anyone know?  If you have had any experience with SAPdb, or have any
pointers to benchmarks, comparisons, etc., I'd really appreciate it if you
could pass them along.

Thanks!

John

Re: SAPdb vs. Postgresql

From
Mike Mascari
Date:
John Wells wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> A client of mine asked me today how SAPdb (http://www.sapdb.org) compares
> with Postgresql.
>
> Anyone know?  If you have had any experience with SAPdb, or have any
> pointers to benchmarks, comparisons, etc., I'd really appreciate it if you
> could pass them along.

I haven't used SAPdb so, with a very large grain of salt from
reading the SAPdb docs, I'd say:

Some SAPdb features not found in PostgreSQL:

1. Subtransactions
2. Recursive Roles
3. Synonyms
4. Automatic garbage collection
5. Stored procedures with exception handling

Some PostgreSQL features not found in SAPdb:

1. User-defined types
2. Multiversioning as concurrency control
3. Rules
4. User-defined functions in a large number of languages
5. Partial and functional indexes

Both have features such as:

2. Subselects
3. Referential Integrity
4. Transactions
5. Support for large values
6. Triggers

I'm sure there's more in both camps, but that's a starting
point. As an example, the SAPdb docs specify updateable views
which PostgreSQL doesn't directly have but can be implemented
using RULEs, which SAPdb doesn't have. Likewise, SAPdb has
stored procedures, but I don't see user-defined functions.
PostgreSQL uses user-defined functions as the basis of stored
procedures. SAPdb has a numeric data type with 38 digits of
precision. PostgreSQL's numeric data type is of arbitrary
precision, altough I believe the backend is compiled with an
equally arbitrary limit of 100 digits. PostgreSQL's R.I. suffers
from concurrency problems. I don't know if SAPdb does. SAPdb
limits the use of the LONG data type in stored procedures,
whereas PostgreSQL doesn't. PostgreSQL's TOASTed values,
however, are limited to 1 gig, whereas the SABdb LONG is limited
to 2 gig. So even where the various fact sheets might say a
given feature has been implemented, the devil is in the details...

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

Re: SAPdb vs. Postgresql

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:58:57AM -0800, David Griffiths wrote:

> SAP is strange. The setup it unusual, and poorly documented. The usage is
> poorly documented. Finally, when we went to use SAP, it worked for a while,
> then the database seemed to get corrupted.

I've heard about that.  A gratis accounting application very promoted
here in Chile uses SAPdb as it's backend, and apparently the driver
manages to corrupt the data somehow.  It's usable now, and becomes
unusable tomorrow.  I wouldn't trust such a RDBMS, no matter how much
features has it got.

I also tried to compare it to Postgres, but the lack of documentation
didn't precisely help me get started, and it was only a hobby so I never
came to it.

"Estoy de acuerdo contigo en que la verdad absoluta no existe...
El problema es que la mentira sí existe y tu estás mintiendo" (G. Lama)

Re: SAPdb vs. Postgresql

From
David Griffiths
Date:
I went through most of the docs, but found them sparse and scattered. They
desperately need a rewrite.

I also found mention that SAPDB does not support versioning, which means you
can get inconsistent reads (not ACID). It also does not have text-searching,
as PosgresQL and MySQL (but not InnoDB) do.

SAP is pouring money into it, however, and has alot of developers. They need
to get some key features in place, however. First, some sort of
high-availability (PostgresQL needs something more solid as well; Oracle
definately leads here). Second, good docs. Third, ACID. Fourth, a decent
build process (get this - it's written at least partially in Pascal, and
they have a pre-processor that turns it into C, which is then compiled;
apparently the build process is unusably cryptic and thus not very
accessible to anyone outside SAP).

David

> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:58:57AM -0800, David Griffiths wrote:
>
> > SAP is strange. The setup it unusual, and poorly documented. The usage
is
> > poorly documented. Finally, when we went to use SAP, it worked for a
while,
> > then the database seemed to get corrupted.
>
> I've heard about that.  A gratis accounting application very promoted
> here in Chile uses SAPdb as it's backend, and apparently the driver
> manages to corrupt the data somehow.  It's usable now, and becomes
> unusable tomorrow.  I wouldn't trust such a RDBMS, no matter how much
> features has it got.
>
> I also tried to compare it to Postgres, but the lack of documentation
> didn't precisely help me get started, and it was only a hobby so I never
> came to it.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]dcc.uchile.cl>)
> "Estoy de acuerdo contigo en que la verdad absoluta no existe...
> El problema es que la mentira sí existe y tu estás mintiendo" (G. Lama)

Re: SAPdb vs. Postgresql

From
Franco Bruno Borghesi
Date:
I've heard that sapdb was adabase some time ago...

I've never worked with sapdb so I cannot tell you anything good or bad about
it, but I found this at slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/developers/01/04/28/016220.shtml
Attachment