Re: SAPdb vs. Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Griffiths
Subject Re: SAPdb vs. Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
I went through most of the docs, but found them sparse and scattered. They
desperately need a rewrite.

I also found mention that SAPDB does not support versioning, which means you
can get inconsistent reads (not ACID). It also does not have text-searching,
as PosgresQL and MySQL (but not InnoDB) do.

SAP is pouring money into it, however, and has alot of developers. They need
to get some key features in place, however. First, some sort of
high-availability (PostgresQL needs something more solid as well; Oracle
definately leads here). Second, good docs. Third, ACID. Fourth, a decent
build process (get this - it's written at least partially in Pascal, and
they have a pre-processor that turns it into C, which is then compiled;
apparently the build process is unusably cryptic and thus not very
accessible to anyone outside SAP).

David