Q from new user about postgresql?

From
"Robert McKee"
Date:
Hello,

I am in need of tracking and managing some data for my work.  I need
something with a similar GUI like MS Access, so that I can make tables,
forms, and such.
Is postgresql able to use some type of gui like this
since I need more than just a command line interface?

I am new to this, so forgive me if this question seems stupid...

Thanks,

Robert.

Re: Q from new user about postgresql?

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Robert McKee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in need of tracking and managing some data for my work.  I need
> something with a similar GUI like MS Access, so that I can make tables,
> forms, and such.
> Is postgresql able to use some type of gui like this
> since I need more than just a command line interface?
>
> I am new to this, so forgive me if this question seems stupid...

Yes, there is a program called pgaccess that does that:

www.pgaccess.org

here are some screen shots:

http://www.pgaccess.org/index.php?page=NewPgAccessEnglish

There's also pgadmin, a windows only program:

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=1

screen shots:

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=20

Re: Q from new user about postgresql?

From
Richard Welty
Date:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:06:20 -0700 (MST) "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> wrote:
> Yes, there is a program called pgaccess that does that:

> www.pgaccess.org

this leads me to a question:

i upgraded my laptop to redhat 8.0, and ran up2date on top of that.

the postgresql version bumped to 7.2.3-5

pgaccess disappeared from my system

i grabbed the stable release from www.pgaccess.org, and it doesn't work;
the web site claims it runs against 7.3 and 7.2.1/7.2.2, so i guess i can't
expect it to run.

dbvisualizer doesn't seem to show me all my tables anymore.

so just what tool does run properly against the most recent redhat rpm for
postgresql?

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net

Re: Q from new user about postgresql?

From
Tony Grant
Date:
On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 18:23, Richard Welty wrote:

> i grabbed the stable release from www.pgaccess.org, and it doesn't work;
> the web site claims it runs against 7.3 and 7.2.1/7.2.2, so i guess i can't
> expect it to run.
>
> dbvisualizer doesn't seem to show me all my tables anymore.
>
> so just what tool does run properly against the most recent redhat rpm for
> postgresql?

Try running the latest development release. Development is very active
again on pgaccess and it is working fine for me on both redhat 8 and mac
os x

Cheers
Tony Grant
--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit,
redhat linux on Sony Vaio C1XD,

Date:
On 04 Mar 2003 08:45:57 -0500 Tony Grant <tony@tgds.net> wrote:
> Try running the latest development release. Development is very active
> again on pgaccess and it is working fine for me on both redhat 8 and mac
> os x

the last time i looked at the download site, it simultaneously said there
weren't any rpms for Postgresql 7.3 yet, while there appeared to be rpms
for RH 8.0 & 7.3. so are there or aren't there rpms yet?

i'm keeping an eye on the ultimate deployment of this system. it's already
getting to be more complex to build one of these boxes than i really like
(and there are going to be 7 or so in daily use, plus backup hardware,
along with a slim maintenence budget). if there's a postgresql 7.3 rpm i
can use, that's ok, but otherwise, it's right out.

richard
--

Date:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Richard Welty wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:06:20 -0700 (MST) "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> wrote:
> > Yes, there is a program called pgaccess that does that:
>
> > www.pgaccess.org
>
> this leads me to a question:
>
> i upgraded my laptop to redhat 8.0, and ran up2date on top of that.
>
> the postgresql version bumped to 7.2.3-5
>
> pgaccess disappeared from my system
>
> i grabbed the stable release from www.pgaccess.org, and it doesn't work;
> the web site claims it runs against 7.3 and 7.2.1/7.2.2, so i guess i can't
> expect it to run.
>
> dbvisualizer doesn't seem to show me all my tables anymore.
>
> so just what tool does run properly against the most recent redhat rpm for
> postgresql?

Have you tried the weekly build marked from 2003-01-17?  It might address
this problem.  I've found that weekly builds from a lot of open source
projects are more stable than stable releases from many commercial
software developers.  That said, it is a snap shot, so it might not work
perfectly, but it's the best bet I can think of for now.  I think KOffice
or maybe Open Office has a database overlay thingie that can use odbc to
connect.  I haven't needed anything more advanced than psql so I've never
spent a lot of time looking at pgaccess and it's brethren...