What is 'Postgres'?

From
Markus Wagner
Date:
Hi,

I recently found a publication on database rule systems by Jennifer Widom, IBM
Almaden Research Center, referenced below. This paper arranges a set of
database management systems along a spectrum, which ranges from deductive
database systems that are more based on logic, to active database systems
that are primarily based on ECA rule processing. At the right end of the
spectrum there is a DBMS called 'Postgres', and I wonder if this one could be
'our' PostgreSQL. I never heared about something called 'Postgres', but maybe
this could be a name for the actual PostgreSQL used in the past. However, I
think that there should be no doubt that PostgreSQL should be placed at the
very right side of the spectrum.

Can anyone provide a clarification?

Here is the reference:

J. Widom. Deductive and Active Databases: Two Paradigms or Ends of a Spectrum?
Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Rules in Database Systems,
pages 306-315, Edinburgh, Scotland, August 1993.

http://www-db.stanford.edu/pub/papers/spectrum.ps

Thank you,
Markus Wagner

Re: What is 'Postgres'?

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 15:05, Markus Wagner wrote:
> spectrum there is a DBMS called 'Postgres', and I wonder if this one could be
> 'our' PostgreSQL. I never heared about something called 'Postgres', but maybe
> this could be a name for the actual PostgreSQL used in the past.
> Can anyone provide a clarification?
>
> Here is the reference:
>
> J. Widom. Deductive and Active Databases: Two Paradigms or Ends of a Spectrum?
> Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Rules in Database Systems,
> pages 306-315, Edinburgh, Scotland, August 1993.

In 1993, PostgreSQL was called Postgres.  After it was abandoned by
Berkeley and taken over by the current team, it was renamed to
Postgres95 and later to PostgreSQL.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock; if any man
      hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to
      him, and will sup with him, and he with me."
                                   Revelation 3:20

Re: What is 'Postgres'?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On 6 Sep 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 15:05, Markus Wagner wrote:
> > spectrum there is a DBMS called 'Postgres', and I wonder if this one could be
> > 'our' PostgreSQL. I never heared about something called 'Postgres', but maybe
> > this could be a name for the actual PostgreSQL used in the past.
> > Can anyone provide a clarification?
> >
> > Here is the reference:
> >
> > J. Widom. Deductive and Active Databases: Two Paradigms or Ends of a Spectrum?
> > Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Rules in Database Systems,
> > pages 306-315, Edinburgh, Scotland, August 1993.
>
> In 1993, PostgreSQL was called Postgres.  After it was abandoned by
> Berkeley and taken over by the current team, it was renamed to
> Postgres95 and later to PostgreSQL.

Close, Postgres95 was still in Berkeley and was being developed by Jolly
and Andrew as part of their graduate work ... the reason why went with
Postgres95 was a play on another software package that was around in '95

Re: What is 'Postgres'?

From
Bill Gribble
Date:
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 09:05, Markus Wagner wrote:
> I never heared about something called 'Postgres', but maybe
> this could be a name for the actual PostgreSQL used in the past.

Honestly, I don't know any single person other than the PostgreSQL
developers who actually know or care that the name is "PostgreSQL".
Everyone I know just calls it Postgres and puts "PostgreSQL" in the same
category as "LiGNUx", that of "way too clever names that you should
forget immmediately".

But of course I've seen these threads develop before and I know that
some PostgreSQL developers will be mortally offended by my remarks.
Sorry.  It's just a bad name for a great piece of software.

b.g.

Re: What is 'Postgres'?

From
Tycho Fruru
Date:
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 16:51, Bill Gribble wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 09:05, Markus Wagner wrote:
> > I never heared about something called 'Postgres', but maybe
> > this could be a name for the actual PostgreSQL used in the past.
>
> Honestly, I don't know any single person other than the PostgreSQL
> developers who actually know or care that the name is "PostgreSQL".

> Everyone I know just calls it Postgres and puts "PostgreSQL" in the same
> category as "LiGNUx", that of "way too clever names that you should
> forget immmediately".

With one notable difference : Postgres and PostgreSQL both exist and are
really different softwares (one uses SQL, the other doesn't ... guess
which one :-). LiGNUx does not exist (except as an outdated website).
GNU/Linux OTOH is still alive and kicking :-)

More information on Postgres and PostgreSQL:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/history.html

> But of course I've seen these threads develop before and I know that
> some PostgreSQL developers will be mortally offended by my remarks.
> Sorry.  It's just a bad name for a great piece of software.

Why is PostgreSQL a bad name ? I don't see the problem with it.  It's
just a name - for a great database !

Tycho

--
Tycho Fruru                            tycho@fruru.com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."

Attachment