Re: What is 'Postgres'? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: What is 'Postgres'?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 15:05, Markus Wagner wrote:
> spectrum there is a DBMS called 'Postgres', and I wonder if this one could be
> 'our' PostgreSQL. I never heared about something called 'Postgres', but maybe
> this could be a name for the actual PostgreSQL used in the past.
> Can anyone provide a clarification?
>
> Here is the reference:
>
> J. Widom. Deductive and Active Databases: Two Paradigms or Ends of a Spectrum?
> Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Rules in Database Systems,
> pages 306-315, Edinburgh, Scotland, August 1993.

In 1993, PostgreSQL was called Postgres.  After it was abandoned by
Berkeley and taken over by the current team, it was renamed to
Postgres95 and later to PostgreSQL.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock; if any man
      hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to
      him, and will sup with him, and he with me."
                                   Revelation 3:20