Re: What is 'Postgres'? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tycho Fruru
Subject Re: What is 'Postgres'?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 16:51, Bill Gribble wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 09:05, Markus Wagner wrote:
> > I never heared about something called 'Postgres', but maybe
> > this could be a name for the actual PostgreSQL used in the past.
>
> Honestly, I don't know any single person other than the PostgreSQL
> developers who actually know or care that the name is "PostgreSQL".

> Everyone I know just calls it Postgres and puts "PostgreSQL" in the same
> category as "LiGNUx", that of "way too clever names that you should
> forget immmediately".

With one notable difference : Postgres and PostgreSQL both exist and are
really different softwares (one uses SQL, the other doesn't ... guess
which one :-). LiGNUx does not exist (except as an outdated website).
GNU/Linux OTOH is still alive and kicking :-)

More information on Postgres and PostgreSQL:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/history.html

> But of course I've seen these threads develop before and I know that
> some PostgreSQL developers will be mortally offended by my remarks.
> Sorry.  It's just a bad name for a great piece of software.

Why is PostgreSQL a bad name ? I don't see the problem with it.  It's
just a name - for a great database !

Tycho

--
Tycho Fruru                            tycho@fruru.com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."

Attachment