Harddisk performance degrading over time?

From
Daniel Åkerud
Date:
Do the hard disk degrade in performance over time on a Linux ext2 filesystem? All my performance test programs show 20% worse performance and I have done NADA! I just ran them again :(

Do you have to defrag?

---
Daniel Åkerud

[ Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups]

Re: Harddisk performance degrading over time?

From
Jason Earl
Date:
Actually, the culprit is probably PostgreSQL and not
the ext2 file system.  Have you tried vacuuming you
database and running the benchmarks again?  PostgreSQL
uses a non-overwriting storage manager, and so vacuum
needs to be run periodically to clear out expired
tuples.

Jason

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Harddisk performance degrading over time?

From
Daniel Åkerud
Date:
Oh yeah,
vacuuming is not the problem here.

Thanks anyway... :)

And also, it seems that it is the indexed searches that is suffering the
most. The non-indexed searches is less affected. This is not only PostgreSQL
but also MySQL.

The database is totally restored each test run.

Daniel Åkerud

Date:
> Oh yeah,
> vacuuming is not the problem here.
>
> Thanks anyway... :)
>
> And also, it seems that it is the indexed searches that is suffering the
> most. The non-indexed searches is less affected. This is not only PostgreSQL
> but also MySQL.

I know the BSD filesystems are self-defragmenting.  I don't know if the
ext2 filesystems are the same.  Surely someone must know.

Re: Harddisk performance degrading over time?

From
Alex Pilosov
Date:
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Oh yeah,
> > vacuuming is not the problem here.
> >
> > Thanks anyway... :)
> >
> > And also, it seems that it is the indexed searches that is suffering the
> > most. The non-indexed searches is less affected. This is not only PostgreSQL
> > but also MySQL.
>
> I know the BSD filesystems are self-defragmenting.  I don't know if the
> ext2 filesystems are the same.  Surely someone must know.
Not exactly, BSD ffs (fast filesystem) isn't self-defragmenting, it just
fragments differently [less than] ext2 :)

See this for paper and some tools to get ffs fragmentation stats:
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~margo/usenix.195
(it has links to critique of the paper as well)

There's a tool ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/defrag/ to defrag ext2
filesystem, but its considered to be alpha quality and not really
maintained.

Re: Harddisk performance degrading over time?

Date:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Oh yeah,
> > > vacuuming is not the problem here.
> > >
> > > Thanks anyway... :)
> > >
> > > And also, it seems that it is the indexed searches that is suffering the
> > > most. The non-indexed searches is less affected. This is not only PostgreSQL
> > > but also MySQL.
> >
> > I know the BSD filesystems are self-defragmenting.  I don't know if the
> > ext2 filesystems are the same.  Surely someone must know.
> Not exactly, BSD ffs (fast filesystem) isn't self-defragmenting, it just
> fragments differently [less than] ext2 :)

Yes, BSD is more "doesn't fragment much" rather than "self
defragmenting".

> See this for paper and some tools to get ffs fragmentation stats:
> http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~margo/usenix.195
> (it has links to critique of the paper as well)
>
> There's a tool ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/defrag/ to defrag ext2
> filesystem, but its considered to be alpha quality and not really
> maintained.

Yes, thanks for the clarification.

Re: Harddisk performance degrading over time?

From
"Ole Gjerde"
Date:
ext2 doesn't need to be defrag'ed either.  You CAN, but it shouldn't need it
unless you are doing something very strange.

Ole Gjerde

> > And also, it seems that it is the indexed searches that is suffering the
> > most. The non-indexed searches is less affected. This is not only
PostgreSQL
> > but also MySQL.
>
> I know the BSD filesystems are self-defragmenting.  I don't know if the
> ext2 filesystems are the same.  Surely someone must know.

Re: Re: Harddisk performance degrading over time?

From
Daniel Åkerud
Date:
OK,
so now I know it wasn't that.

The strange thing is just that, that looking at all the test values
collected, it seems like only indexed inserts and indexed selects has gotten
slower for BOTH PostgreSQL and MySQL,

Never mind... as long as it is maximally slow now ;) *kidding*

Daniel Åkerud