Why does the JDBC driver not support prepareCall?

From
mg
Date:
I have troubles with jsp-based websites that have been generated by
Macromedia DreamWeaver UltraDev 1.0. My analysis revealed that the
problem lies in the JDBC driver not supporting prepareCall (prepareCall
throws the PSQLException "postgresql.con.call" instead).
Is there any workaround or intermediate solution? Is there anybody
working to fill this gap, and when can a solution be expected? Is there
anybody working on this subject?

I already posted this question in the interfaces.jdbc forum, but since
there are no other messages in that forum, I thought that probably
nobody would see it there...

Thank you for any answer.

Regards
--Marcel Gsteiger

Re: Why does the JDBC driver not support prepareCall?

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, mg wrote:

> I have troubles with jsp-based websites that have been generated by
> Macromedia DreamWeaver UltraDev 1.0. My analysis revealed that the
> problem lies in the JDBC driver not supporting prepareCall (prepareCall
> throws the PSQLException "postgresql.con.call" instead).
> Is there any workaround or intermediate solution? Is there anybody
> working to fill this gap, and when can a solution be expected? Is there
> anybody working on this subject?

prepareCall is reportedly going to be implemented in 7.1.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
    "Mach was the greatest intellectual fraud in the last ten years."
    "What about X?"
    "I said `intellectual'."
        ;login, 9/1990

Re: Why does the JDBC driver not support prepareCall?

From
Peter T Mount
Date:
Quoting "Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@chapelperilous.net>:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, mg wrote:
>
> > I have troubles with jsp-based websites that have been generated by
> > Macromedia DreamWeaver UltraDev 1.0. My analysis revealed that the
> > problem lies in the JDBC driver not supporting prepareCall
> (prepareCall
> > throws the PSQLException "postgresql.con.call" instead).
> > Is there any workaround or intermediate solution? Is there anybody
> > working to fill this gap, and when can a solution be expected? Is
> there
> > anybody working on this subject?
>
> prepareCall is reportedly going to be implemented in 7.1.

It depends on how I get on this weekend (although at the rate I've been
catching up over the last few days, its pretty good so far). It's mainly a
hardware issue for me at the moment...

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/

Re: Why does the JDBC driver not support prepareCall?

From
Joel Bernstein
Date:
I have not tried prepareCall with postgreSQL but it makes sense
that it would not be implemented.

prepareCall is a JDBC method used to call stored procedures in a database.

postgreSQL implements stored procedures as function calls.

So up to now the prepareCall method has not been needed because to call
a function you just would use a Statement or PreparedStatement like this:
 -----------------------------------
PreparedStatement pstmt = null;

/*
*    deleteUser() is the function call.
*/

String sql = "select deleteUser()";

try
{
    pstmt = con.prepareStatment(sql);
    pstmt.executeQuery();
}
catch(Exception e)
{

}
finally
{

}

---------------------------------------

I have heard talk of an EXECUTE commad that was added for function
calls but I'm not sure is works like the EXEC for stored procedures
does in MS SQLserver and other databases.  If it does then prepareCall
could be used.

Anybody have comments on EXECUTE.

Joel

Re: Why does the JDBC driver not support prepareCall?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
message resent to pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org