Re: [GENERAL] Why does the JDBC driver not support prepareCall? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Joel Bernstein
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Why does the JDBC driver not support prepareCall?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
I have not tried prepareCall with postgreSQL but it makes sense
that it would not be implemented.

prepareCall is a JDBC method used to call stored procedures in a database.

postgreSQL implements stored procedures as function calls.

So up to now the prepareCall method has not been needed because to call
a function you just would use a Statement or PreparedStatement like this:
 -----------------------------------
PreparedStatement pstmt = null;

/*
*    deleteUser() is the function call.
*/

String sql = "select deleteUser()";

try
{
    pstmt = con.prepareStatment(sql);
    pstmt.executeQuery();
}
catch(Exception e)
{

}
finally
{

}

I have heard talk of an EXECUTE commad that was added for function
calls but I'm not sure is works like the EXEC for stored procedures
does in MS SQLserver and other databases.  If it does then prepareCall
could be used.

Anybody have comments on EXECUTE.

Joel