postgresql.conf ignored

From
hafiz

My question:

I use Postgresql 7.0.3-2 in red-hat 6.2

I change several postmaster options through postgresql.conf (in
/usr/local/pgsql/data) . But it seems
that the postmaster still run using default values and ignored
postgresql.conf. I've check the file permission and it should be ok.

Can anybody help me?.

--
((Hfz)).

Re: postgresql.conf ignored

From
Peter Eisentraut
hafiz writes:

> I use Postgresql 7.0.3-2 in red-hat 6.2
>
> I change several postmaster options through postgresql.conf (in
> /usr/local/pgsql/data) . But it seems
> that the postmaster still run using default values and ignored
> postgresql.conf. I've check the file permission and it should be ok.

This file is new in 7.1.

Re: postgresql.conf ignored

From
Lamar Owen
hafiz wrote:
> I use Postgresql 7.0.3-2 in red-hat 6.2

> I change several postmaster options through postgresql.conf (in
> /usr/local/pgsql/data) . But it seems
> that the postmaster still run using default values and ignored
> postgresql.conf. I've check the file permission and it should be ok.

postgresql.conf is new for 7.1.  The proper 7.0.3 file is pg_options,
and postmaster.options.sample (IIRC).  Might be just
postmaster.opts.sample.  I don't have a 7.0.3 machine accessible right
now to tell -- my production server (for various reasons) is back on a
previous version, and my development server has 7.1beta3 installed.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: postgresql.conf ignored

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 11:18:07AM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:

> postgresql.conf is new for 7.1.  The proper 7.0.3 file is pg_options,
> and postmaster.options.sample (IIRC).  Might be just
> postmaster.opts.sample.

Which of these gets called by the

    /etc/init.d/postgresql

script?  I have pg_options set to do a lot of logging in order to
track down a problem I'm having, but it isn't working, as it does on
my old Debian boxes (<gratuitous rant>which I'd stick to if everyone
around here wasn't already using rpm-based distributions</gratuitious
rant>).  I don't see any information in the README.rpm file about
this, and I'm sort of confused (because there are the two files
here).  This is actually a 7.0.2 RPM from RH 7.  Pointers welcome.

--
Andrew Sullivan                       |     McMaster University
Research Computing Support, CIS       |   1280 Main Street West

Re: Re: postgresql.conf ignored

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> script?  I have pg_options set to do a lot of logging in order to
> track down a problem I'm having, but it isn't working, as it does on
> my old Debian boxes (<gratuitous rant>which I'd stick to if everyone
> around here wasn't already using rpm-based distributions</gratuitious
> rant>).  I don't see any information in the README.rpm file about
> this, and I'm sort of confused (because there are the two files
> here).  This is actually a 7.0.2 RPM from RH 7.  Pointers welcome.

Have you added the required lines to /etc/syslog.conf? (Yes, I know I
haven't thoroughly documented that.  Working on it.).

It _is_ documented in the archives -- do a search on '/etc/syslog.conf'.

The short of it is to add:
local0.*              /var/log/postgresql
to syslog.conf.

It _will_ be better documented in the final 7.1 RPM's -- once I get it
working again on my development machine.  More important was to get the
thing packaged again for the first release.

The syslog.conf lines are not automatically inserted, due to the 'Do No
Harm' principle.  Which, incidentally, is why I try to get upgrading
working somewhat reasonably.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Date:
On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 11:46:11PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Have you added the required lines to /etc/syslog.conf? (Yes, I know I
> haven't thoroughly documented that.  Working on it.).
>
> It _is_ documented in the archives -- do a search on '/etc/syslog.conf'.

Ah, no I hadn't, thanks.  I'd tried searching the archives for
"logging" and "RPM" (and various other combinations of stuff which
might have got me the info), but no dice.  I'll wait for this to be
searchable in the archive, and if it doesn't come up easily, I'll try
submitting something under a Subject: that will get the hits.

Date:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> postgresql.conf is new for 7.1.  The proper 7.0.3 file is pg_options,
> and postmaster.options.sample (IIRC).  Might be just
> postmaster.opts.sample.  I don't have a 7.0.3 machine accessible right
> now to tell -- my production server (for various reasons) is back on a
> previous version, and my development server has 7.1beta3 installed.

I see, but how do I set maximum_connections option without using argument
in postmaster. I've read it can be put in postgresql.conf but I don't
think pg_options recognized that option.

--
((Hfz)).