Trying to use PGSql with PHP

From
John Tsombakos
Date:
I'm trying to setup PostgreSQL on Redhat Linux 6.2 and access it with PHP. I
have Apache installed and working, PHP installed and working, and PostgreSQL
installed and working. However, I'm trying to get PHP to talk to the
PostgreSQL system. I believe I need to install php-pgsql-3.0.15-2.rpm, but
when I try, I get an error saying the that package depends on
'libpq.so.2.0'. I have PostgreSQL v7.0.2 (all of the RPMS's) and PHP 3.0.15
installed.

What am I missing? I'm a bit of a newbie with Linux, so any help will be
grateful!

Thanks,
--------------------------------
John Tsombakos
johnts@ziplink.net <*>

Re: Trying to use PGSql with PHP

From
"Mike Sears"
Date:
one thing you could try is to compile php. I've found in the past that even
thoughthe rmp version of php is great, most of the time it doesn't work.

Date:
on 10/8/00 2:56 AM, Frank Joerdens at frank@joerdens.de wrote:

> How did you install PHP & Apache? Did you configure & compile the
> sources or get the rpm's from somewhere? If you're compiling PHP from
> the sources, you need to configure PHP with the --with-pgsql switch. You
> can check whether this is the problem (i.e. missing pgsql support) by
> making a page that just contains <? phpinfo(); ?> which, if opened in a
> browser, should show all the options your PHP supports.
>
> Also, in the Support section of the PHP homepage at www.php.net, you can
> subscribe to a list that is devoted entirely to PHP installation issues.
>
> Regards, Frank
>
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 01:20:21AM -0400, John Tsombakos wrote:
>> I'm trying to setup PostgreSQL on Redhat Linux 6.2 and access it with PHP. I
>> have Apache installed and working, PHP installed and working, and PostgreSQL
>> installed and working. However, I'm trying to get PHP to talk to the
>> PostgreSQL system. I believe I need to install php-pgsql-3.0.15-2.rpm, but
>> when I try, I get an error saying the that package depends on
>> 'libpq.so.2.0'. I have PostgreSQL v7.0.2 (all of the RPMS's) and PHP 3.0.15
>> installed.
>>
>> What am I missing? I'm a bit of a newbie with Linux, so any help will be
>> grateful!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --------------------------------
>> John Tsombakos
>> johnts@ziplink.net <*>

No, I installed PostgreSQL and PHP with the RPM's, and I believe Apache was
already installed when I installed Redhat.

Please note that PHP _does_ work. I can use PHP commands and it works fine.
It's just when I try to use the PostgreSQL commands, I get an error.

For example, if I do something like:

<?php
$connection=ph_connect("dbname=testdb")
?>

I get an error: "Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function
pg_connect in /home/httpd/html/mypage.php on line 10"

So, PHP works, Apache works, PSQL works by itself, it's just PHP and PSql
don't work and I can't get what I assume is the "missing link"
(php-pgsql-3.0.15-2.rpm) to install.

--------------------------------
John Tsombakos
johnts@ziplink.net <*>

Re: Trying to use PGSql with PHP

From
Adam Haberlach
Date:
On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 12:07:00PM -0400, John Tsombakos wrote:
> on 10/8/00 2:56 AM, Frank Joerdens at frank@joerdens.de wrote:
>
> No, I installed PostgreSQL and PHP with the RPM's, and I believe Apache was
> already installed when I installed Redhat.
>
> Please note that PHP _does_ work. I can use PHP commands and it works fine.
> It's just when I try to use the PostgreSQL commands, I get an error.
>
> For example, if I do something like:
>
> <?php
> $connection=ph_connect("dbname=testdb")
> ?>
>
> I get an error: "Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function
> pg_connect in /home/httpd/html/mypage.php on line 10"
>
> So, PHP works, Apache works, PSQL works by itself, it's just PHP and PSql
> don't work and I can't get what I assume is the "missing link"
> (php-pgsql-3.0.15-2.rpm) to install.

...I don't like Red Hat for this reason--it usually doesn't give you much
information about problems...

For a production machine, I typically build and install my entire
"mission-critical" chain of apps.  Postgres, PHP, Apache, etc.  This helps
avoid a few problems: Red Hat may suddenly upgrade to a newly incompatible
version, or may just change a configuration.

At a guess, I would say that you are probably missing an .rpm for the
postgres-client or pgsql-client, but that is based on my view dealings with
Red Hat.

--
Adam Haberlach            | A billion hours ago, human life appeared on
adam@newsnipple.com       | earth.  A billion minutes ago, Christianity

Re: Trying to use PGSql with PHP

From
Frank Joerdens
Date:
> For a production machine, I typically build and install my entire
> "mission-critical" chain of apps.  Postgres, PHP, Apache, etc.  This helps
> avoid a few problems: Red Hat may suddenly upgrade to a newly incompatible
> version, or may just change a configuration.

I agree. I'd also compile PHP as a module, rather than rolling it into
the Apache binary. If you find that you, for instance, forgot xml
support, or decide that you suddenly need it, you can just reconfigure
and compile PHP. This is significantly less painful than having to
recompile apache as well. The performance penalty you incur there is
negligible (some people seem to confuse that with compiling PHP as a cgi
binary - this is not recommended and will be much slower).

> At a guess, I would say that you are probably missing an .rpm for the
> postgres-client or pgsql-client, but that is based on my view dealings with
> Red Hat.

Yep. That's what it sounds like.

Date:
on 10/8/00 1:32 PM, Frank Joerdens at frank@joerdens.de wrote:

>> At a guess, I would say that you are probably missing an .rpm for the
>> postgres-client or pgsql-client, but that is based on my view dealings with
>> Red Hat.
>
> Yep. That's what it sounds like.

I had downloaded and installed all of the RPM's for PostgreSQL. Unless I
missed one for PHP, which I could not find, beyond the
php-pgsql-3.0.15-2.rpm one (which won't install).

--------------------------------
John Tsombakos
johnts@ziplink.net <*>

Re: Trying to use PGSql with PHP

From
Charles Tassell
Date:
The PHP RPM you installed wasn't built with PostGres support, and you can't
add it in without  recompiling PHP.  I'd grab the source for PHP (probably
version 4.02, I've been playing with it and it seems pretty stable) and
recompile it yourself via the instructions.  It should just be a matter of:

./configure --with=pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --without-mysql
make
make install

but you can read the INSTALL file and the output from ./configure --help
for more details.

At 03:26 PM 10/8/00, Adam Haberlach wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 12:07:00PM -0400, John Tsombakos wrote:
> > on 10/8/00 2:56 AM, Frank Joerdens at frank@joerdens.de wrote:
> >
> > No, I installed PostgreSQL and PHP with the RPM's, and I believe Apache was
> > already installed when I installed Redhat.
> >
> > Please note that PHP _does_ work. I can use PHP commands and it works fine.
> > It's just when I try to use the PostgreSQL commands, I get an error.
> >
> > For example, if I do something like:
> >
> > <?php
> > $connection=ph_connect("dbname=testdb")
> > ?>
> >
> > I get an error: "Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function
> > pg_connect in /home/httpd/html/mypage.php on line 10"
> >
> > So, PHP works, Apache works, PSQL works by itself, it's just PHP and PSql
> > don't work and I can't get what I assume is the "missing link"
> > (php-pgsql-3.0.15-2.rpm) to install.
>
>...I don't like Red Hat for this reason--it usually doesn't give you much
>information about problems...
>
>For a production machine, I typically build and install my entire
>"mission-critical" chain of apps.  Postgres, PHP, Apache, etc.  This helps
>avoid a few problems: Red Hat may suddenly upgrade to a newly incompatible
>version, or may just change a configuration.
>
>At a guess, I would say that you are probably missing an .rpm for the
>postgres-client or pgsql-client, but that is based on my view dealings with
>Red Hat.
>
>--
>Adam Haberlach            | A billion hours ago, human life appeared on
>adam@newsnipple.com       | earth.  A billion minutes ago, Christianity
>http://www.newsnipple.com | emerged.  A billion Coca-Colas ago was
>'88 EX500                 | yesterday morning. -1996 Coca-Cola Ann. Rpt.

Re: Trying to use PGSql with PHP

From
John Tsombakos
Date:
I found this page:

http://fsr.ku.dk/people/troels/rpms/php/

that has precompiled rpm's for PHP 4. I downloaded the RPM for PHP and the
PHP-PostgreSQL link and installed the files.

And they worked! No need to recompile anything!

Thanks anyway to everyone.

--------------------------------
John Tsombakos
johnts@ziplink.net <*>

Re: Trying to use PGSql with PHP

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Odds are what your problem is mitch-matched support.  the rpm version of php
you are using is probably for postgres 6.5.x.  Between that and version 7,
there was a library upgrade and the rpm dependencies are out of wack (rpms
tend not to be very "forward compatable" in many instances that I've
encountered).

In a nutshell, I had the same problem... What did I do?  I un rpm'd Apache,
PHP, and postgres.  I had to recompile them from their source so they find
all the updated libraruies you are using.  Unfortunately, that sucks.
Compiling Apache and PHP is a bit tricky because you have to compile
Apache... then compile php ... then go back and compile part of apache
again... etc.  Compiling the postgres isn't that bad... only have issues
with the man pages... never got that to work past the "make".

php.net has pretty decent documentation on how to compile php and apache
though.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company