Fw: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
 I know you had to add the module for mysql for PHP 3, but I thought PHP 4
 mysql was a native part.

 I compiled php 4 ad specifically asked for postgres support, while
 compiling, it mentioned how mysql APIs were being added any way (even
though
 I did not tell it to).

 I'm sure it can be extracted, but it looks like the modules are a lot
 tighter together.

 So, in the php 4 RPM, you still need to add myql explicitly?

 Adam Lang
 Systems Engineer
 Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Re: Fw: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
"Dominic J. Eidson"
Date:
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

>  I know you had to add the module for mysql for PHP 3, but I thought PHP 4
>  mysql was a native part.
>
>  I compiled php 4 ad specifically asked for postgres support, while
>  compiling, it mentioned how mysql APIs were being added any way (even
> though
>  I did not tell it to).

PHP 4.0 and up compile with MySQL support enabled by default - you have to
specify --without-mysql when you run ./configure.

I won't comment on the whole PHP being in bed with MySQL issue...

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli

Re: Fw: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
that's mighty f***** up.  I thought the point of compiling the code was that
features would not be added unless you TOLD it to?

I also heard that mysql is looking to use PHP as its interface language...

Not too suprised... 80% of the PHP example code I ever find is involving
mysql anyway...

Well damnit! I'm not succumbing to bundling!  I'm sticking to postgres! :)

(As I type this on Win98 using Outlook Express.)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> >  I know you had to add the module for mysql for PHP 3, but I thought PHP
4
> >  mysql was a native part.
> >
> >  I compiled php 4 ad specifically asked for postgres support, while
> >  compiling, it mentioned how mysql APIs were being added any way (even
> > though
> >  I did not tell it to).
>
> PHP 4.0 and up compile with MySQL support enabled by default - you have to
> specify --without-mysql when you run ./configure.
>
> I won't comment on the whole PHP being in bed with MySQL issue...
>

> --
> Dominic J. Eidson
>                                         "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" -
Gimli
-----
> http://www.the-infinite.org/
http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: Fw: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
Yes, it seems that most people think PHP and MySQL were meant for each other
(in fact the developers of both have an alliance of sorts) -- PostgreSQL
support in PHP is very good though, I use PHP for %95 of the web
applications I develop and I have never used MySQL ( I value the data too
much to risk it)..

The PostgreSQL module for PHP is without a dedicated maintainer though,
which could be a problem in the future -- Sascha Schumann is maintaining it
now I believe (he's one of the main PHP developers).. Someone from my
company has been considering taking it over in order to keep it current as
there are some functions not included in the module that could be there..

(As I type this in Windows 2000, Outlook Express!)

-Mitch

Date:
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> that's mighty f***** up.  I thought the point of compiling the code was that
> features would not be added unless you TOLD it to?

Complain to Rasmus - not that it'll get you anywhere... *grumble*

> I also heard that mysql is looking to use PHP as its interface language...

No, MySQL is looking into using the Zend scripting engine for their stored
procedures - another move that undermines their viabillity as DB in my
eyes. MySQL is becoming this big (unmanageable) patchwork of third party
software... I hope/predict it will die soon.

> (As I type this on Win98 using Outlook Express.)

[dominic@postgres dominic]$ uname -a
Linux postgres 2.2.14-6.1.1smp #1 SMP Thu Apr 13 19:55:55 EDT 2000 i686 unknown

Yes, the server name _is_ "postgres" :)

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: Fw: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
"Martin A. Marques"
Date:
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Mitch Vincent wrote:

> Yes, it seems that most people think PHP and MySQL were meant for each other
> (in fact the developers of both have an alliance of sorts) -- PostgreSQL
> support in PHP is very good though, I use PHP for %95 of the web
> applications I develop and I have never used MySQL ( I value the data too
> much to risk it)..

I do all my web applications with PHP, and use only Postgres and
Informix.

> The PostgreSQL module for PHP is without a dedicated maintainer
though,
> which could be a problem in the future -- Sascha Schumann is maintaining it
> now I believe (he's one of the main PHP developers).. Someone from my
> company has been considering taking it over in order to keep it current as
> there are some functions not included in the module that could be there..

I have found lots of things that the mysql anf the informix module for
php has, that the postgres doesn't. Especifically, when you walk through
a query. In postgres you have to tell the function which row you want.
In Informix, you can use the "NEXT" option so it walks through the rows.

> (As I type this in Windows 2000, Outlook Express!)

I'm using pine on Linux RedHat 6.0 (with some upgrades).

"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina        http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar

Re: Fw: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
MySQL was not installed on my server.  I compiled php4 --with-pgsql andthat
was it (besides what was necessary for Apache).  It compiled it with MySQL
support anyway.