Talking with other Dbases.

From
"Daryl Chance"
Date:
Hi,

I'm pretty new to PgSQL (been lurking) and am wondering if
it's possible to talk with other DB's easily?  I'm using
FreeBSD atm and the project I'm working on will be moving
from dbase to postgres in the next release.  It will also
have a web based side to it that I plan on using MySQL for
possibly, since all it's going to do is return records.
(I have yet to do some testing between postgres and mysql
to determine if pgsql would be sufficient or mysql would
work better).

Is it possible to write data to other databases?  Also
is it possible to get a secure connection between 2 postgres
databases, or other databases for that matter?  Either through
ssh or Kerberos(sp?) etc etc.

| Daryl Chance   | I have made this letter longer then |
| Valuedata, LLC | usual because I lacked the time to  |
| Memphis, TN    | make it shorter.   -- Blaise Pascal |

Re: Talking with other Dbases.

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty new to PgSQL (been lurking) and am wondering if
> it's possible to talk with other DB's easily?  I'm using
> FreeBSD atm and the project I'm working on will be moving
> from dbase to postgres in the next release.  It will also
> have a web based side to it that I plan on using MySQL for
> possibly, since all it's going to do is return records.
> (I have yet to do some testing between postgres and mysql
> to determine if pgsql would be sufficient or mysql would
> work better).

If you're talking about connecting to another RDBMSs from within PostgreSQL
I suppose it would be possible with custom written functions (since most
RDBMSs have a C API) but it being easy depends on your level of experience
with C (and the two database APIs)..

 > Is it possible to write data to other databases?  Also
> is it possible to get a secure connection between 2 postgres
> databases, or other databases for that matter?  Either through
> ssh or Kerberos(sp?) etc etc.

You can tunnel virtually anything through SSH, sure.

I know MySQL is fast but just remember, it's just "A filesystem with an SQL
interface" -- that's ALL... :-)

-Mitch

RE: Talking with other Dbases.

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
If memory serves me correctly, Virtuoso (OpenLinkSW) and AOLserver both claim
inter-database connections.

>===== Original Message From "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net> =====
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm pretty new to PgSQL (been lurking) and am wondering if
>> it's possible to talk with other DB's easily?  I'm using
>> FreeBSD atm and the project I'm working on will be moving
>> from dbase to postgres in the next release.  It will also
>> have a web based side to it that I plan on using MySQL for
>> possibly, since all it's going to do is return records.
>> (I have yet to do some testing between postgres and mysql
>> to determine if pgsql would be sufficient or mysql would
>> work better).
>
>If you're talking about connecting to another RDBMSs from within PostgreSQL
>I suppose it would be possible with custom written functions (since most
>RDBMSs have a C API) but it being easy depends on your level of experience
>with C (and the two database APIs)..
>
> > Is it possible to write data to other databases?  Also
>> is it possible to get a secure connection between 2 postgres
>> databases, or other databases for that matter?  Either through
>> ssh or Kerberos(sp?) etc etc.
>
>You can tunnel virtually anything through SSH, sure.
>
>I know MySQL is fast but just remember, it's just "A filesystem with an SQL
>interface" -- that's ALL... :-)
>
>-Mitch

Re: Talking with other Dbases.

From
"Keith G. Murphy"
Date:
Daryl Chance wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty new to PgSQL (been lurking) and am wondering if
> it's possible to talk with other DB's easily?  I'm using
> FreeBSD atm and the project I'm working on will be moving
> from dbase to postgres in the next release.  It will also
> have a web based side to it that I plan on using MySQL for
> possibly, since all it's going to do is return records.
> (I have yet to do some testing between postgres and mysql
> to determine if pgsql would be sufficient or mysql would
> work better).
>
> Is it possible to write data to other databases?  Also
> is it possible to get a secure connection between 2 postgres
> databases, or other databases for that matter?  Either through
> ssh or Kerberos(sp?) etc etc.

I take it your application is talking to postgresql, and you want
postgresql to write automatically to mysql?

Why not just have the application do both?  You won't get the integrity
of transactions, but mysql doesn't give you that anyway...  ;-)

Pardon me if I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

> Thanks,
> | Daryl Chance   | I have made this letter longer then |
> | Valuedata, LLC | usual because I lacked the time to  |
> | Memphis, TN    | make it shorter.   -- Blaise Pascal |

Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
"Alfredo"
Date:
I heard that MySQL is included in RH 7 instead of PgSQL. Is this true? if
yes, anybody know why?

Regards

Thanks

Re: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
"Alfredo" <csib@mweb.com.na> writes:

> I heard that MySQL is included in RH 7 instead of PgSQL. Is this
> true?

No. Postgresql is included, and is the one installed when choosing
"SQL Server" under the custom category. To get MySQL, you would have
to install them manually afterwards, select "everything" or choose to
manually select packages.

Of course, we may switch the defaults in the future if we think MySQL
is a better database in terms of upgradability, reliability, features
and performance but there are no such plans right now.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Not to mention the fact that PHP 4 installs with MySQL support native.

If RedHat did do MySQL by default, technically Apache, PHP, and MySQL would
be a pretty straightforward Web Serving bundle.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Date:
> Why not just have the application do both?  You won't get the integrity
> of transactions, but mysql doesn't give you that anyway...  ;-)
>
> Pardon me if I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

Right now I'm just trying to do some preliminary planning,
(hell, V1.0 isn't release JUST yet (day or so) :P) so I'm
still kicking around some ideas about how I want to go about
doing this.  Maybe have a cron job that runs once every hour
from the clients servers to update the central server.  The
data doesn't have to be realtime, but it would be nice to be
somewhat up-to-date :).  As for the clients writing to it, it's
not necessary at all, and not really needed.  The clients will
have a server in thier lan, and the servers will be updating
to the wan server :).

But, I have a while before I start on V2.0, so for right
now it's gathering info and running tests to see what
works best.

Date:
"Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com> writes:

> Not to mention the fact that PHP 4 installs with MySQL support native.

While we have a MySQL module for PHP, we also have a pgsql module.

> If RedHat did do MySQL by default, technically Apache, PHP, and MySQL would
> be a pretty straightforward Web Serving bundle.

So is Postgresql, PHP and Apache - no MySQL necesarry.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> "Alfredo" <csib@mweb.com.na> writes:
> > I heard that MySQL is included in RH 7 instead of PgSQL. Is this
> > true?

> No. Postgresql is included, and is the one installed when choosing
> "SQL Server" under the custom category. To get MySQL, you would have
> to install them manually afterwards, select "everything" or choose to
> manually select packages.

Not to mention that the MySQL packages are the GPL'd 3.23 _alpha_ code.

> Of course, we may switch the defaults in the future if we think MySQL
> is a better database in terms of upgradability, reliability, features
> and performance but there are no such plans right now.

And PostgreSQL's reliability, features, and performance are sterling --
and the replication server being developed by PostgreSQL, Inc helps.
But, upgradability is, well, almost nonexistant.  No,
dump/initdb/restore is not a real upgrade; it's a kludge (and doesn't
necessarily work).  I know one datamodel in particular that is currently
having problems with databases restored from a pg_dump.  We'll see if
the 7.1 pg_dump helps.

Currently, MySQL has us beat on the upgradability issue.  And I cannot
overemphasize how important a smooth upgrade is to a distribution maker
like Red Hat.

I am looking at the feasibility of the upgrade utility I mentioned a few
weeks ago, and am finding it rough going.  But, we'll see.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio