Re: Talking with other Dbases. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: Talking with other Dbases.
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty new to PgSQL (been lurking) and am wondering if
> it's possible to talk with other DB's easily?  I'm using
> FreeBSD atm and the project I'm working on will be moving
> from dbase to postgres in the next release.  It will also
> have a web based side to it that I plan on using MySQL for
> possibly, since all it's going to do is return records.
> (I have yet to do some testing between postgres and mysql
> to determine if pgsql would be sufficient or mysql would
> work better).

If you're talking about connecting to another RDBMSs from within PostgreSQL
I suppose it would be possible with custom written functions (since most
RDBMSs have a C API) but it being easy depends on your level of experience
with C (and the two database APIs)..

 > Is it possible to write data to other databases?  Also
> is it possible to get a secure connection between 2 postgres
> databases, or other databases for that matter?  Either through
> ssh or Kerberos(sp?) etc etc.

You can tunnel virtually anything through SSH, sure.

I know MySQL is fast but just remember, it's just "A filesystem with an SQL
interface" -- that's ALL... :-)

-Mitch