Web front-end

From
"Jeffrey A. Rhines"
Date:
It seems i remember seeing somewhere that someone had developed a
generic web front-end to Postgres.  Was this a dream, or has someone
else seen this, too?  If not, would anyone be interested in
collaborating on a JDBC/Java Servlets - based web front end to
Postgres?  By the nature of JDBC and servlets, it would of course be
usable for other RDBMSs as well.  (although i don't know why anyone
wouldn't use PG ;)

Regards,

Jeff

Re: Web front-end

From
Date:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Jeffrey A. Rhines wrote:

> It seems i remember seeing somewhere that someone had developed a
> generic web front-end to Postgres.  Was this a dream, or has someone
> else seen this, too?  If not, would anyone be interested in
> collaborating on a JDBC/Java Servlets - based web front end to
> Postgres?  By the nature of JDBC and servlets, it would of course be
> usable for other RDBMSs as well.  (although i don't know why anyone
> wouldn't use PG ;)

I think you're thinking of MyPgAdmin, which is a PHP-based front end to
PostgreSQL, modeled after the one that was made for MySQL.

Brett W. McCoy
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Darth Vader! Only you would be so bold! -- Princess Leia Organa

Re: Web front-end

From
Gilles DAROLD
Date:
Hi,

I have seen DBengine on Freshmeat few weeks ago, perhaps this this what
you
are looking for...

Regards,

Gilles

"Jeffrey A. Rhines" wrote:

> It seems i remember seeing somewhere that someone had developed a
> generic web front-end to Postgres.  Was this a dream, or has someone
> else seen this, too?  If not, would anyone be interested in
> collaborating on a JDBC/Java Servlets - based web front end to
> Postgres?  By the nature of JDBC and servlets, it would of course be
> usable for other RDBMSs as well.  (although i don't know why anyone
> wouldn't use PG ;)
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeff

Re: Web front-end

From
Herbert Liechti
Date:
"Jeffrey A. Rhines" wrote:

> It seems i remember seeing somewhere that someone had developed a
> generic web front-end to Postgres.  Was this a dream, or has someone
> else seen this, too?  If not, would anyone be interested in
> collaborating on a JDBC/Java Servlets - based web front end to
> Postgres?  By the nature of JDBC and servlets, it would of course be
> usable for other RDBMSs as well.  (although i don't know why anyone
> wouldn't use PG ;)

Hi Jef,

We made a framework in perl. The framework makes use of all those
fantastic libraries (mod_perl, Apache:::Session, CGI, DBI, DBD-Pg)
The framework follows the object orientated approach of Perl. Presentation
business logic and data layers are completely separated where the data
layer may be used without the presentation layer. Applications may
be developed language independent.  The presentation layer is driven
by templates and cascading style sheets and a few parameters in
the application. The look of the application is therefore 100%
configurable.

The framework has a standard tableBrowser to browse and maintain all data
constently, following all referential integrity links defined in the
database classes. This is usable right away, once the database classes
are implemented (only definitions no code). Permission may be granted
on a table level to different users.

The framework is running currently in productive environment in 6 projects
one of them is accessible via the web under
http://www.oberaargau.ch/Region/Wirtschaft/Firmen/Firmendb.htm
If you press the "Suchen" Button you will see the framework running
in a separate frame (german).

Due the mangle of time we couldn't currently present the work
on our web site. But we plan to deploy the framework under a free
license. We are currently looking for english speaking persons, who
can review the documentation. The framework itself is complete
and installable like an ordinary Perl library.

If you are interested, I can send you the distribution, documentation
and sample database by mail.

Greetings Herbie

Herbert Liechti                     E-Mail: Herbert.Liechti@thinx.ch
ThinX networked business services        Stahlrain 10, CH-5200 Brugg

Re: Web front-end

From
Herbert Liechti
Date:
"Jeffrey A. Rhines" wrote:

> Herbie,
>
> I am certainly interested.

Great

> It seems we could both benefit from a
> collaboration.  I know virtually no German, however, and am certainly
> not a tech writer.  I assume the documentation is translated already,
> and you are looking for someone to validate the grammar.  Is that
> correct?

The documentation is in english (swiss-cheese-chocolate-english ;-)

Best regards Herbie

Herbert Liechti                     E-Mail: Herbert.Liechti@thinx.ch
ThinX networked business services        Stahlrain 10, CH-5200 Brugg

Re: Web front-end

From
Guillaume Perréal
Date:
bmccoy@chapelperilous.net wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Jeffrey A. Rhines wrote:
>
> > It seems i remember seeing somewhere that someone had developed a
> > generic web front-end to Postgres.  Was this a dream, or has someone
> > else seen this, too?  If not, would anyone be interested in
> > collaborating on a JDBC/Java Servlets - based web front end to
> > Postgres?  By the nature of JDBC and servlets, it would of course be
> > usable for other RDBMSs as well.  (although i don't know why anyone
> > wouldn't use PG ;)
>
> I think you're thinking of MyPgAdmin, which is a PHP-based front end to
> PostgreSQL, modeled after the one that was made for MySQL.
>
> Brett W. McCoy
>                                      http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
> Darth Vader! Only you would be so bold! -- Princess Leia Organa

Where can MyPgAdmin be found?
Thanks.

Regards,
Guillaume Perréal - Stagiaire MIAG
Cemagref (URH), Lyon, France
Tél: (+33) 4.72.20.87.64

pg_dump and restore

From
Andreas Tille
Date:
Hello,

Im really struck with trouble when I first tried to copy a database
to another host.  I followed the dos and did:

    host1 ~> pg_dump <database> > dump
    host2 ~> cat dump | psql <database>

Now I tried to check wether all went right and did

    host2 ~> pg_dump <database> > dump2

So dump and dump2 shouldn't differ (at least not in importantly) I think.
But there is a great difference between the database.  About half of the
table is missing.  To make sure I tried

    host1 ~> cat dump | psql <database2>
    host1 ~> pg_dump <database2> > dump2

to verify if this problem also remains if I'm sitting on the same
database server.  And so it was :-((.

How could that happen????

I append the output while the psql-insertion to this mail.  May be it
gives some hints for those not as new to PostgreSQL as I.

I'm using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on a Debian GNU/Linux system.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

Attachment

Re: pg_dump and restore

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
I think I see the problem, there were errors reported on the
restore.  Something about a bad timestamp representation (or something
like that).  You might want to look through the dump to see what
is in the dump, and if you have time try to replicate it with
new data so you can send that (assuming the dump is large/proprietary of
course).

Stephan Szabo
sszabo@bigpanda.com

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im really struck with trouble when I first tried to copy a database
> to another host.  I followed the dos and did:
>
>     host1 ~> pg_dump <database> > dump
>     host2 ~> cat dump | psql <database>
>
> Now I tried to check wether all went right and did
>
>     host2 ~> pg_dump <database> > dump2
>
> So dump and dump2 shouldn't differ (at least not in importantly) I think.
> But there is a great difference between the database.  About half of the
> table is missing.  To make sure I tried
>
>     host1 ~> cat dump | psql <database2>
>     host1 ~> pg_dump <database2> > dump2
>
> to verify if this problem also remains if I'm sitting on the same
> database server.  And so it was :-((.
>
> How could that happen????
>
> I append the output while the psql-insertion to this mail.  May be it
> gives some hints for those not as new to PostgreSQL as I.
>
> I'm using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on a Debian GNU/Linux system.
>
> Kind regards
>
>           Andreas.

Re: pg_dump and restore

From
Andreas Tille
Date:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> I think I see the problem, there were errors reported on the
> restore.  Something about a bad timestamp representation (or something
> like that).  You might want to look through the dump to see what
> is in the dump, and if you have time try to replicate it with
> new data so you can send that (assuming the dump is large/proprietary of
> course).
Having a closer look at this I can see, that's the reason in fact.
I've thought that something once in the database could be restored but
obviousely pg_dump does just a plain dump and psql does certain checks.
The problem was caused the following way:

I ported a MS-SQL 7.0 database using Access and copying the tables
over the clipboard (the longer ones, well Access considers tables
greater than about 500 lines as to big for that method ;-) where done
using pgAdmin import tool).  This worked so far with the above exception:
One table has two columns type "datatime" in MS SQL.  They are named
CreatedAt and ChangedAt and should store just the time when the
record waas created and log the time of a change.

Now my question is:  How can I implement this in PostgreSQL that this
fields are automatically filled in this sense?

Kind regards

        Andreas.

Re: pg_dump and restore

From
Andreas Tille
Date:
Hello,

after solving the timestamp issue I found out further problems with
the dump from the database.  I found out that *some* fields with
German Umlauts make psql fail with *some* records.  It is really strange
that *not all* records fail but just a *few* :-(((.  Enclosing the
strings in '' in the dump file helped psql and it could read the
records fine, but now they are included with additional '' :-(.
Well, after removing the '' with Access pg_dump cut the remainder
of the record so that the columns behind the string in question remain
empty.

What could cause this very strange trouble after having a correct
database pg_dumped???

Kind regards

        Andreas.

pg_dump and restore -- solved and urgent warning

From
Andreas Tille
Date:
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, I wrote:

> after solving the timestamp issue I found out further problems with
> the dump from the database.  I found out that *some* fields with
> German Umlauts make psql fail with *some* records.  It is really strange
> that *not all* records fail but just a *few* :-(((.  Enclosing the
> strings in '' in the dump file helped psql and it could read the
> records fine, but now they are included with additional '' :-(.
> Well, after removing the '' with Access pg_dump cut the remainder
> of the record so that the columns behind the string in question remain
> empty.
>
> What could cause this very strange trouble after having a correct
> database pg_dumped???
It took me a day to solve the probelm, but finaly I had success:

I found out a real strange rule:
  pg_dump doesn't continue a recored if there is a data field which
  has an Umlaut in the last character or the character before the last,
  i.e. for Strings of the Form:
     *[äüö]    and
     *[äüö].
  I found it out because I fiddled around with the quoting '', which
  made an extra character after the string and so some strings were
  changed to
     *[äüö].'
  and worked, but those with
     *[äüö]'
  did not work.  Appending any character to the end of the later ones
  let pg_dump do a good job for all strings.

What was the reason.  Originally I used "UNICODE" encoding when I installed
the database, because it was the default of the Debian package.  I removed
the PostgreSQL package and switched to LATIN1 and viola all went OK.

So there is the warning about UNICODE.  May be it is a bloody beginner
fault and it is half clear for me, why this happened (UNICODE takes
16 bytes and does perhaps some strange interpretation of those strings),
but in my opinion something is wrong in the `pg_dump | psql` pipe and
should be work in any case, so I would consider it more as a bug
than a feature.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

Importing from Access: advice?

From
Highway80 dude
Date:
I have an Access97 database I would like to convert to pgSQL (about 50
tables). Is there a better way to do it than to have Access97 export CSV
files and then use the COPY command to import them? (I read the Bruce
Momjiam work in progress).

At the moment, I only have pg installed on my Linux box (version 7). Do
you think I should do a windows installation of PG and somehow import it
via ODBC ?
If i did this, would I simply be able to copy the datafiles across [from
the windows site to the linux site]. Does the windows version support
pg_dump (including the -o option)?