Re: pg_dump and restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Tille
Subject Re: pg_dump and restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> I think I see the problem, there were errors reported on the
> restore.  Something about a bad timestamp representation (or something
> like that).  You might want to look through the dump to see what
> is in the dump, and if you have time try to replicate it with
> new data so you can send that (assuming the dump is large/proprietary of
> course).
Having a closer look at this I can see, that's the reason in fact.
I've thought that something once in the database could be restored but
obviousely pg_dump does just a plain dump and psql does certain checks.
The problem was caused the following way:

I ported a MS-SQL 7.0 database using Access and copying the tables
over the clipboard (the longer ones, well Access considers tables
greater than about 500 lines as to big for that method ;-) where done
using pgAdmin import tool).  This worked so far with the above exception:
One table has two columns type "datatime" in MS SQL.  They are named
CreatedAt and ChangedAt and should store just the time when the
record waas created and log the time of a change.

Now my question is:  How can I implement this in PostgreSQL that this
fields are automatically filled in this sense?

Kind regards

        Andreas.