Database synchronisation over the internet...

From
Wim Aarts
Date:
Hi All,

Availabilty is going to play an important role in some postgreSQL applications
we've build, (mission critical for those who wants to know).
Up until now everything has been straight forward SQL. And for backups we rely
on dumps and tapes. In the near future we would like to have a system that
enables synchronisation of data over the internet.
The requirements are:
security of data... (SSL ? in Europe)
master slave concept where the data on the slave is only changed by the master
and is allowed to be 10 minutes behind.

What might we a good strategy for implementing such a system?

--
Wim Aarts

Re: [GENERAL] Database synchronisation over the internet...

From
Paul Branston
Date:
Hi Wim,

I am also working on the self same thing. I am using ssh to authenticate
and encrpyt the connection. The master database uses pg_dump, since the
data is not too large, to create a file which is securely copied via scp
to the slave host. An ssh connection then logs into the slave,drops the
table and loads the data from the dump file which has been copied over.

seems to work so far, but there must be more refinements I can add.

Paul

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Wim Aarts wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Availabilty is going to play an important role in some postgreSQL applications
> we've build, (mission critical for those who wants to know).
> Up until now everything has been straight forward SQL. And for backups we rely
> on dumps and tapes. In the near future we would like to have a system that
> enables synchronisation of data over the internet.
> The requirements are:
> security of data... (SSL ? in Europe)
> master slave concept where the data on the slave is only changed by the master
> and is allowed to be 10 minutes behind.
>
> What might we a good strategy for implementing such a system?
>

> --
> Wim Aarts
>

> ************

Re: [GENERAL] Database synchronisation over the internet...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Paul Branston wrote:

> Hi Wim,
>
> I am also working on the self same thing. I am using ssh to authenticate
> and encrpyt the connection. The master database uses pg_dump, since the
> data is not too large, to create a file which is securely copied via scp
> to the slave host. An ssh connection then logs into the slave,drops the
> table and loads the data from the dump file which has been copied over.
>
> seems to work so far, but there must be more refinements I can add.

use ssh to create a tunnel between server A and server B, then, from
Server A, issue somethig like:

psql -h ServerB -p 5432 -c "drop table <tablename>";
pg_dump tablename | psql -h ServerB -p 5432 ...

sorry, haven't done this myself, so my syntax is purely a matter of giving
an idea, that is why the ... at the end :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org