Re: [GENERAL] Database synchronisation over the internet... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Database synchronisation over the internet...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Paul Branston wrote:

> Hi Wim,
>
> I am also working on the self same thing. I am using ssh to authenticate
> and encrpyt the connection. The master database uses pg_dump, since the
> data is not too large, to create a file which is securely copied via scp
> to the slave host. An ssh connection then logs into the slave,drops the
> table and loads the data from the dump file which has been copied over.
>
> seems to work so far, but there must be more refinements I can add.

use ssh to create a tunnel between server A and server B, then, from
Server A, issue somethig like:

psql -h ServerB -p 5432 -c "drop table <tablename>";
pg_dump tablename | psql -h ServerB -p 5432 ...

sorry, haven't done this myself, so my syntax is purely a matter of giving
an idea, that is why the ... at the end :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org