Mailing Lists

From
Jeff MacDonald
Date:
Hey folks,

I'm working on the CD image for PostgreSQL again. It's now at
quite a healty size of 664 megs, and grows daily as the mailing
list archives grow.

The lists are taking up >50% of the cd. I'm curious about people's
opinions. The archives are a valuable resource. But out of those
who have ever bought a cd, or those that would,

    Would you use the archives off the cd ?

Consider the point, that these archives are possibly outdated when
you receive the cd, and that the Live archives on www.postgresql.org
are searchable.

Depending on the consensus, we will either remove the archives from
the cd distro all together, or find an alternate method of storing
them on it.

I'm also taking any suggestions to make the archives on the cd searchable.

Thanks

Jeff MacDonald
jeff@hub.org

 So long as the Universe had a beginning, we can suppose it had a
creator, but if the Universe is completly self contained , having
no boundry or edge, it would neither be created nor destroyed
 It would simply be.

Date:
I said this before, hope not too annoying.
Is it possible to make the mailing lists downloadable text
files? of course, they need to be splited into several files
for each list. Seems that the time of each version-release is
a reasonable cut. most people will only need the more recent
ones.

The use of online search engine is slower than 'primitive'
vi -- not only because of the search engine itself but also
due to the web server and network.

Is there any commercial interest that conflict with this?

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm working on the CD image for PostgreSQL again. It's now at
> quite a healty size of 664 megs, and grows daily as the mailing
> list archives grow.
>
> The lists are taking up >50% of the cd. I'm curious about people's
> opinions. The archives are a valuable resource. But out of those
> who have ever bought a cd, or those that would,
>
>     Would you use the archives off the cd ?
>
> Consider the point, that these archives are possibly outdated when
> you receive the cd, and that the Live archives on www.postgresql.org
> are searchable.
>
> Depending on the consensus, we will either remove the archives from
> the cd distro all together, or find an alternate method of storing
> them on it.
>
> I'm also taking any suggestions to make the archives on the cd searchable.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff MacDonald
> jeff@hub.org

>  So long as the Universe had a beginning, we can suppose it had a
> creator, but if the Universe is completly self contained , having
> no boundry or edge, it would neither be created nor destroyed
>  It would simply be.

Jeff MacDonald
Date:
> I said this before, hope not too annoying.
> Is it possible to make the mailing lists downloadable text
> files? of course, they need to be splited into several files

i could do this, with just the  plain text files, not the html/
mhonarc stuff. i have no issues with this.

> a reasonable cut. most people will only need the more recent
> ones.

negative, we want all or nothing. past archives are very useful.
that's why their archived :)

> Is there any commercial interest that conflict with this?

none at all, i'm open to any and all suggestions.

> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I'm working on the CD image for PostgreSQL again. It's now at
> > quite a healty size of 664 megs, and grows daily as the mailing
> > list archives grow.
> >
> > The lists are taking up >50% of the cd. I'm curious about people's
> > opinions. The archives are a valuable resource. But out of those
> > who have ever bought a cd, or those that would,
> >
> >     Would you use the archives off the cd ?
> >
> > Consider the point, that these archives are possibly outdated when
> > you receive the cd, and that the Live archives on www.postgresql.org
> > are searchable.
> >
> > Depending on the consensus, we will either remove the archives from
> > the cd distro all together, or find an alternate method of storing
> > them on it.
> >
> > I'm also taking any suggestions to make the archives on the cd searchable.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jeff MacDonald
> > jeff@hub.org

> >  So long as the Universe had a beginning, we can suppose it had a
> > creator, but if the Universe is completly self contained , having
> > no boundry or edge, it would neither be created nor destroyed
> >  It would simply be.
> >

> > ************

Jeff MacDonald
jeff@hub.org

 So long as the Universe had a beginning, we can suppose it had a
creator, but if the Universe is completly self contained , having
no boundry or edge, it would neither be created nor destroyed
 It would simply be.

The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:

> I said this before, hope not too annoying.
> Is it possible to make the mailing lists downloadable text
> files? of course, they need to be splited into several files
> for each list. Seems that the time of each version-release is
> a reasonable cut. most people will only need the more recent
> ones.
>
> The use of online search engine is slower than 'primitive'
> vi -- not only because of the search engine itself but also
> due to the web server and network.
>
> Is there any commercial interest that conflict with this?

Ummm, there is a link off of each month on the web site to an mbox format
file, gzip'd...unfortunately, just looking at it now, it looks like there
is a bug with the script that generates that page...will look at it...

But, those links have been generated since we put up mhonarc many months
ago...

> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I'm working on the CD image for PostgreSQL again. It's now at
> > quite a healty size of 664 megs, and grows daily as the mailing
> > list archives grow.
> >
> > The lists are taking up >50% of the cd. I'm curious about people's
> > opinions. The archives are a valuable resource. But out of those
> > who have ever bought a cd, or those that would,
> >
> >     Would you use the archives off the cd ?
> >
> > Consider the point, that these archives are possibly outdated when
> > you receive the cd, and that the Live archives on www.postgresql.org
> > are searchable.
> >
> > Depending on the consensus, we will either remove the archives from
> > the cd distro all together, or find an alternate method of storing
> > them on it.
> >
> > I'm also taking any suggestions to make the archives on the cd searchable.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jeff MacDonald
> > jeff@hub.org

> >  So long as the Universe had a beginning, we can suppose it had a
> > creator, but if the Universe is completly self contained , having
> > no boundry or edge, it would neither be created nor destroyed
> >  It would simply be.
> >

> > ************

Ed Loehr
Date:
Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> The lists are taking up >50% of the cd. I'm curious about people's
> opinions. The archives are a valuable resource. But out of those
> who have ever bought a cd, or those that would,
>
>         Would you use the archives off the cd ?
>
> Consider the point, that these archives are possibly outdated when
> you receive the cd, and that the Live archives on www.postgresql.org
> are searchable.

CD archives would seem replaceable to me if the www.postgresql.org search
engine were a bit more reliable and useful (ie easier to navigate threads
found via search.

Cheers.
Ed Loehr

Re: [GENERAL] Mailing Lists

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Ed Loehr wrote:

> Jeff MacDonald wrote:
>
> > The lists are taking up >50% of the cd. I'm curious about people's
> > opinions. The archives are a valuable resource. But out of those
> > who have ever bought a cd, or those that would,
> >
> >         Would you use the archives off the cd ?
> >
> > Consider the point, that these archives are possibly outdated when
> > you receive the cd, and that the Live archives on www.postgresql.org
> > are searchable.
>
> CD archives would seem replaceable to me if the www.postgresql.org search
> engine were a bit more reliable and useful (ie easier to navigate threads
> found via search.

Okay, I'm confused...when ht/dig worked, if you clicked on a mesage you
wanted to read, that message had a 'thread' link that would list all
messages in that thread...

...or are you talking about something different?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] Mailing Lists

From
Ed Loehr
Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > >         Would you use the archives off the cd ?
> > >
> > > Consider the point, that these archives are possibly outdated when
> > > you receive the cd, and that the Live archives on www.postgresql.org
> > > are searchable.
> >
> > CD archives would seem replaceable to me if the www.postgresql.org search
> > engine were a bit more reliable and useful (ie easier to navigate threads
> > found via search.
>
> Okay, I'm confused...when ht/dig worked, if you clicked on a mesage you
> wanted to read, that message had a 'thread' link that would list all
> messages in that thread...
>
> ...or are you talking about something different?

Yes, that is the general context to which I'm referring.  If that thread link was
there, then I'm either thinking about some other context or I just missed it.
I'll try to provide more contextual details if the engine comes back online.

Cheers.
Ed Loehr