PostgreSQL, Inc Site Redone ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Morning ...

        After spending the past while looking at the pitiful creation I
created, we've finally taken the time to redo the site so that, in our
opinion, it looks professional...

        "Take a look at us now" - http://www.pgsql.com

    Feel free to send comments/suggestions to webmaster@pgsql.com

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL, Inc Site Redone ...

From
Simon Drabble
Date:
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning ...
>
>         After spending the past while looking at the pitiful creation I
> created, we've finally taken the time to redo the site so that, in our
> opinion, it looks professional...
>
>         "Take a look at us now" - http://www.pgsql.com
>
>     Feel free to send comments/suggestions to webmaster@pgsql.com
>
> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy

Just a couple of quick niggles:

Compliance - Are you converting from a different system ?
PostgreSQL is on /you/ side. If /you/ old applications were SQL92
compliant, then chances are the migration will be simple and quick.

both highlighted `you's should be `your'

Simon.

--
 "This message will expire soon. Please contact your vendor for an update."

   Simon Drabble                      It's like karma for your brain.
   simon@eskimo.com

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL, Inc Site Redone ...

From
"Jeff MacDonald "
Date:
fixed

Jeff MacDonald
    jeff@hub.org    webpage: http://hub.org/~jeff
    jeff@pgsql.com    irc: bignose on EFnet

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Simon Drabble wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>

> > Morning ...
> >
> >         After spending the past while looking at the pitiful creation I
> > created, we've finally taken the time to redo the site so that, in our
> > opinion, it looks professional...
> >
> >         "Take a look at us now" - http://www.pgsql.com
> >
> >     Feel free to send comments/suggestions to webmaster@pgsql.com
> >
> > Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
>

> Just a couple of quick niggles:
>
> Compliance - Are you converting from a different system ?
> PostgreSQL is on /you/ side. If /you/ old applications were SQL92
> compliant, then chances are the migration will be simple and quick.
>

> both highlighted `you's should be `your'
>

> Simon.
>
> --
>  "This message will expire soon. Please contact your vendor for an update."
>
>    Simon Drabble                      It's like karma for your brain.
>    simon@eskimo.com

Boneheaded Setup?

From
"Shawn Pursley"
Date:
I've currently got pgsql up and running but I have a couple of problems and
I'm wondering if someone can help me.

Here's what I'm getting where postgres should run the postmaster and powner
is the common user account:

[postgres@pusher pgsql]$ nohup postmaster > regress.log 2>&1 &
[1] 691
[postgres@pusher pgsql]$ su powner
Password:
[powner@pusher pgsql]$ psql template1
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running and accepting connections at
'UNIX
 Socket' on port '5432'?

I setup just about everything that the docs said to, staying away from root,
etc.  If I run that postmaster command from the powner user, then I can
access pgsql, but only as that user.

I'm trying to setup pgaccess and it is failing I believe due to this
problem.  It's giving me an error stating:
Is the Postmaster running (with -i) at localhost and accepting connections
on TCP/IP port '5432'?

Here my setup
Linux Mandrake 5.2
pgsql 6.5.1
pgaccess 0.93

TIA

Shawn Pursley(shawn.pursley@service-transport.com)
Network Administrator
Service Transport
800 528 1616 x 240

Re: [GENERAL] Boneheaded Setup?

From
Simon Drabble
Date:
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Shawn Pursley wrote:

> I've currently got pgsql up and running but I have a couple of problems and
> I'm wondering if someone can help me.
>
> Here's what I'm getting where postgres should run the postmaster and powner
> is the common user account:
>
> [postgres@pusher pgsql]$ nohup postmaster > regress.log 2>&1 &
> [1] 691
> [postgres@pusher pgsql]$ su powner
> Password:
> [powner@pusher pgsql]$ psql template1
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running and accepting connections at
> 'UNIX
>  Socket' on port '5432'?
>
> I setup just about everything that the docs said to, staying away from root,
> etc.  If I run that postmaster command from the powner user, then I can
> access pgsql, but only as that user.
>

> Shawn Pursley(shawn.pursley@service-transport.com)

what does the log say? can you do a ps and see the postmaster process running?

Simon.
--
 "This message will expire soon. Please contact your vendor for an update."

   Simon Drabble                      It's like karma for your brain.
   simon@eskimo.com

Re: [GENERAL] Boneheaded Setup?

From
"Shawn Pursley"
Date:
Simon, et al...

From the regress_log

/usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system.  Expected to find it
in \
the PGDATA directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data", but unable to open file with
path\
name "/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/pg_class".

No data directory -- can't proceed.

[postgres@pusher pgsql]$ cd /usr/local/pgsql/data/
[postgres@pusher data]$ ls -la
total 53

drwxrwsr-x   3 powner   postgres     1024 Aug 12 17:05 ./
drwxrwsr-x   8 postgres postgres     1024 Aug 18 09:10 ../
-rw-------   1 powner   postgres        4 Aug 12 16:12 PG_VERSION
drwx--S---   4 powner   postgres     1024 Aug 17 11:27 base/
-rw-------   1 powner   postgres     8192 Aug 17 11:27 pg_database
-r--------   1 powner   postgres     3407 Aug 12 16:12 pg_geqo.sample
-rw-------   1 powner   postgres        0 Aug 12 16:12 pg_group
-rw--w----   1 powner   postgres     5191 Aug 12 17:05 pg_hba.conf
-rw--w----   1 powner   postgres     5192 Aug 12 16:12 pg_hba.conf~
-rw-------   1 powner   postgres     8192 Aug 18 11:00 pg_log
-rw-rw-rw-   1 powner   postgres       51 Aug 12 16:12 pg_pwd
-rw-------   1 powner   postgres     8192 Aug 12 16:12 pg_shadow
-rw-------   1 powner   postgres     8192 Aug 18 11:00 pg_variable
[postgres@pusher data]$ cd base/
bash: cd: base/: Permission denied
[postgres@pusher data]$ ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
  678 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
 1272 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

It appears that part of my problem is the fact that postgres is not the
owner and therefore cannot read what's in the base/.  What next?

TIA,
Shawn
Simon, et al...

From the regress_log

> [...]

at
> > 'UNIX
> >  Socket' on port '5432'?
> >
> > I setup just about everything that the docs said to, staying away from
root,
> > etc.  If I run that postmaster command from the powner user, then I can
> > access pgsql, but only as that user.
> >

> > Shawn Pursley(shawn.pursley@service-transport.com)
> >

> what does the log say? can you do a ps and see the postmaster process
running?

> Simon.
> --
>  "This message will expire soon. Please contact your vendor for an
update."

>    Simon Drabble                      It's like karma for your brain.
>    simon@eskimo.com

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL, Inc Site Redone ...

Date:
More info, hopefully helpful...

[powner@pusher template1]$ ps aux | grep postmaster
[powner@pusher template1]$ cd /usr/bin
[powner@pusher bin]$ ls -la pos*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      1074180 May 22 22:28 postgres*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 Jul 26 12:16 postmaster ->
postgres*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         5760 May 11 12:01 postprint*

Shawn

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>

> > Morning ...
> >
> >         After spending the past while looking at the pitiful creation I
> > created, we've finally taken the time to redo the site so that, in our
> > opinion, it looks professional...
> >
> >         "Take a look at us now" - http://www.pgsql.com
> >
> > Feel free to send comments/suggestions to webmaster@pgsql.com
> >
> > Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick:
Scrappy

> Just a couple of quick niggles:
>
> Compliance - Are you converting from a different system ?
> PostgreSQL is on /you/ side. If /you/ old applications were SQL92
> compliant, then chances are the migration will be simple and quick.
>

> both highlighted `you's should be `your'
>

> Simon.
>
> --
>  "This message will expire soon. Please contact your vendor for an
update."

>    Simon Drabble                      It's like karma for your brain.
>    simon@eskimo.com
>

> ************

Web master Please remove me as ralli@poboxes.com

From
Rakesh Ralli

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning ...
>
>         After spending the past while looking at the pitiful creation I
> created, we've finally taken the time to redo the site so that, in our
> opinion, it looks professional...
>
>         "Take a look at us now" - http://www.pgsql.com
>
>         Feel free to send comments/suggestions to webmaster@pgsql.com
>
> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
>
> ************

Attachment

Date:
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Shawn Pursley wrote:

> Simon, et al...
>
> >From the regress_log
>
> /usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system.  Expected to find it
> in \
> the PGDATA directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data", but unable to open file with
> path\
> name "/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/pg_class".
>
> No data directory -- can't proceed.
>

> It appears that part of my problem is the fact that postgres is not the
> owner and therefore cannot read what's in the base/.  What next?
>
> TIA,
> Shawn

As root, recursively chown the files in $PGDATA to postgres - this will allow
you to start the postmaster process. You will also need to (as postgres) run
createuser <powner> (if you haven't already) to allow powner to access the db
system.

# chown -r postgres /usr/local/pgsql/

$ su - postgres
$ createuser
Enter name of user to add --->

etc.

Simon.

--
 "This message will expire soon. Please contact your vendor for an update."

   Simon Drabble                      It's like karma for your brain.
   simon@eskimo.com

Re: [GENERAL] Boneheaded Setup?

From
"Shawn Pursley"
Date:
Simon --

Thanks for all the help so far...please don't kill me...

For anyone else doing this exercise...I had to use the -R instead of -r on
Mandrake.

[root@pusher bin]# chown -R postgres /usr/local/pgsql/
[postgres@pusher pgsql]$ nohup postmaster > regress.log 2>&1 &
[1] 1443
[postgres@pusher pgsql]$ createuser
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'postgres' is not in 'pg_shadow'

createuser: database access failed.
[postgres@pusher pgsql]$ cd /usr/local/pgsql/data
[postgres@pusher data]$ ls -la
total 62
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres     8195 Aug 24 12:09 #pg_shadow#
drwxrwsr-x   3 postgres postgres     1024 Aug 24 12:09 ./
drwxrwsr-x   8 postgres postgres     1024 Aug 18 09:10 ../
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres        4 Aug 12 16:12 PG_VERSION
drwx--S---   4 postgres postgres     1024 Aug 17 11:27 base/
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres     8192 Aug 17 11:27 pg_database
-r--------   1 postgres postgres     3407 Aug 12 16:12 pg_geqo.sample
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres        0 Aug 12 16:12 pg_group
-rw--w----   1 postgres postgres     5191 Aug 12 17:05 pg_hba.conf
-rw--w----   1 postgres postgres     5192 Aug 12 16:12 pg_hba.conf~
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres     8192 Aug 18 11:00 pg_log
-rw-rw-rw-   1 postgres postgres       51 Aug 12 16:12 pg_pwd
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres     8192 Aug 12 16:12 pg_shadow
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres     8192 Aug 18 11:00 pg_variable

Do you spot anything else wrong?  I tried to emacs pg_shadow, but that is
one ugly files that looks compiled.  I did see that powner resides in there.

Shawn

Date:
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Shawn Pursley wrote:

> Simon --
>
> Thanks for all the help so far...please don't kill me...
>
> For anyone else doing this exercise...I had to use the -R instead of -r on
> Mandrake.

Yeah, my bad - it is indeed -R

> [root@pusher bin]# chown -R postgres /usr/local/pgsql/
> [postgres@pusher pgsql]$ nohup postmaster > regress.log 2>&1 &
> [1] 1443
> [postgres@pusher pgsql]$ createuser
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'postgres' is not in 'pg_shadow'
>
> createuser: database access failed.
> [postgres@pusher pgsql]$ cd /usr/local/pgsql/data
> [postgres@pusher data]$ ls -la
> total 62
>
> Do you spot anything else wrong?  I tried to emacs pg_shadow, but that is
> one ugly files that looks compiled.  I did see that powner resides in there.

Oops. Looks like you installed as powner, which will cause powner to be the
postgres super user. My advice to you if you haven't created any databases
yet is to blow away the postgres directory completely and re-run the
installation, this time as postgres.

Once you have done this, you can add powner as a postgres user and assign
rights as necessary. the postgres super-user should really be only used to
start/ stop the back-end, and create new users (i.e. admin tasks). Use powner
to create databases and work with them.

Simon.