Re: [GENERAL] Boneheaded Setup? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Simon Drabble
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Boneheaded Setup?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Shawn Pursley wrote:

> I've currently got pgsql up and running but I have a couple of problems and
> I'm wondering if someone can help me.
>
> Here's what I'm getting where postgres should run the postmaster and powner
> is the common user account:
>
> [postgres@pusher pgsql]$ nohup postmaster > regress.log 2>&1 &
> [1] 691
> [postgres@pusher pgsql]$ su powner
> Password:
> [powner@pusher pgsql]$ psql template1
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running and accepting connections at
> 'UNIX
>  Socket' on port '5432'?
>
> I setup just about everything that the docs said to, staying away from root,
> etc.  If I run that postmaster command from the powner user, then I can
> access pgsql, but only as that user.
>

> Shawn Pursley(shawn.pursley@service-transport.com)

what does the log say? can you do a ps and see the postmaster process running?

Simon.
--
 "This message will expire soon. Please contact your vendor for an update."

   Simon Drabble                      It's like karma for your brain.
   simon@eskimo.com