Re: [GENERAL] Boneheaded Setup? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Simon Drabble
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Boneheaded Setup?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Shawn Pursley wrote:

> Simon, et al...
>
> >From the regress_log
>
> /usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system.  Expected to find it
> in \
> the PGDATA directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data", but unable to open file with
> path\
> name "/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/pg_class".
>
> No data directory -- can't proceed.
>

> It appears that part of my problem is the fact that postgres is not the
> owner and therefore cannot read what's in the base/.  What next?
>
> TIA,
> Shawn

As root, recursively chown the files in $PGDATA to postgres - this will allow
you to start the postmaster process. You will also need to (as postgres) run
createuser <powner> (if you haven't already) to allow powner to access the db
system.

# chown -r postgres /usr/local/pgsql/

$ su - postgres
$ createuser
Enter name of user to add --->

etc.

Simon.

--
 "This message will expire soon. Please contact your vendor for an update."

   Simon Drabble                      It's like karma for your brain.
   simon@eskimo.com