How about this LOGO?

From
Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia
Date:
Hi all

The first PostgreSQL logo that I realy loved at the URL:

  http://www.stud.enst.fr/~ulmer/gen_pages.cgi

What do you think??

Roberto
Eng. Roberto João Lopes Garcia         E-mail: roberto@mha.com.br
F. 55 11 848 9906   FAX  55 11 848 9955

MHA Engenharia Ltda
E-mail: mha@mha.com.br    WWW: http://www.mha.com.br

Av Maria Coelho Aguiar, 215 Bloco D     2 Andar
Centro Empresarial de Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo - BRASIL - 05805 000

Re: [GENERAL] How about this LOGO?

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia wrote:

> The first PostgreSQL logo that I realy loved at the URL:
>
>   http://www.stud.enst.fr/~ulmer/gen_pages.cgi
>
> What do you think??

That is pretty cool!  You just can't go wrong with the Gimp!

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

Re: [GENERAL] How about this LOGO?

From
Dan Delaney
Date:
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia wrote:
> The first PostgreSQL logo that I realy loved at the URL:

Here's a slightly larger version of the Leopard logo with "Powered
by" in Helvetica instead of "Empowered" in Courier.

   dionysia.org/res/misc/PoweredbyPostgreSQL.gif

 --Dan

 Daniel G. Delaney                    The Louisville Times Chorus
 Dionysos@Dionysia.org                   www.LouisvilleTimes.org
 www.Dionysia.org/~dionysos/          Dionysia Design
 ICQ Number: 8171285                     www.Dionysia.com/design/
                   I doubt, therefore I might be.

Re: [GENERAL] How about this LOGO?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia wrote:

> Hi all
>
> The first PostgreSQL logo that I realy loved at the URL:
>
>   http://www.stud.enst.fr/~ulmer/gen_pages.cgi
>
> What do you think??

Too dark...unless you already know that its a cat, you can't really see it
:(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Date:
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Dan Delaney wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia wrote:
> > The first PostgreSQL logo that I realy loved at the URL:
>
> Here's a slightly larger version of the Leopard logo with "Powered
> by" in Helvetica instead of "Empowered" in Courier.
>
>    dionysia.org/res/misc/PoweredbyPostgreSQL.gif

Why not a nice simple (ack, I hate to say it) Logo like the one that the
first URL had for Linux?  Why does it have to have an animal on it?  The
icon is too small to have an animal "crowding" the Words...

Date:
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> Why not a nice simple (ack, I hate to say it) Logo like the one that the
> first URL had for Linux?  Why does it have to have an animal on it?  The
> icon is too small to have an animal "crowding" the Words...

I agree. I just found that Leopard one somewhere and changed the
"Empowered" to "Powered by" and took the pink border off. I don't
know where the Leopard came from. I thought it was some sort of
Postgres mascot or something :-). I'll make one without it and see
what you all think (tomorrow).

Date:
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Dan Delaney wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > Why not a nice simple (ack, I hate to say it) Logo like the one that the
> > first URL had for Linux?  Why does it have to have an animal on it?  The
> > icon is too small to have an animal "crowding" the Words...
>
> I agree. I just found that Leopard one somewhere and changed the
> "Empowered" to "Powered by" and took the pink border off. I don't
> know where the Leopard came from. I thought it was some sort of
> Postgres mascot or something :-). I'll make one without it and see
> what you all think (tomorrow).

    We've never really been able to come up with an agreeable image of
"the mascot"...last I heard, we were looking at an alligator, with some
images having been made, but no final image decided on...

Date:
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> We've never really been able to come up with an agreeable image of
> "the mascot"...last I heard, we were looking at an alligator, with some
> images having been made, but no final image decided on...

But then, an aligator would probably turn out looking too much like
the Netscape Mozilla dinosaur (or whatever the hell it's supposed
to be :-), don't ya think?

Date:
At 22:59 23/07/98 -0300, you wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Dan Delaney wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia wrote:
>> > The first PostgreSQL logo that I realy loved at the URL:
>>
>> Here's a slightly larger version of the Leopard logo with "Powered
>> by" in Helvetica instead of "Empowered" in Courier.
>>
>>    dionysia.org/res/misc/PoweredbyPostgreSQL.gif
>
>Why not a nice simple (ack, I hate to say it) Logo like the one that the
>first URL had for Linux?  Why does it have to have an animal on it?  The
>icon is too small to have an animal "crowding" the Words...

I like the logo becouse the Leopard represents agility and power and that
what I feel using PostgreSQL, it has the power that allow me to make what I
want and the people that works improving PostgreSQL and the ones that
return the messages with responses to questions are agile enough.

I also like the linux and gimp logo at the original URL!

scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Date:
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Dan Delaney wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > We've never really been able to come up with an agreeable image of
> > "the mascot"...last I heard, we were looking at an alligator, with some
> > images having been made, but no final image decided on...
>
> But then, an aligator would probably turn out looking too much like
> the Netscape Mozilla dinosaur (or whatever the hell it's supposed
> to be :-), don't ya think?

    Hey, my preference is an elephant.  Big, strong, reliable and
never forgets...

Date:
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>     Hey, my preference is an elephant.  Big, strong, reliable and
> never forgets...

Too many connotations with the GOP...

Date:
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> >     Hey, my preference is an elephant.  Big, strong, reliable and
> > never forgets...
>
> Too many connotations with the GOP...

    Enlighten me...what is "the GOP"?

Date:
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > Too many connotations with the GOP...
>
>     Enlighten me...what is "the GOP"?

Sorry.  The US Republican Party, which uses an elephant for their mascot.

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
"The Number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

Re: [GENERAL] How about this LOGO?

From
Bruce Tong
Date:
> > > Too many connotations with the GOP...
> >
> >     Enlighten me...what is "the GOP"?
>
> Sorry.  The US Republican Party, which uses an elephant for their mascot.

I wouldn't let that stop you from using an elephant. I think that's a
pretty far leap. And I don't expect anyone would associate the two unless
you used the exact same elephant logo.

Bruce Tong                 |  Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Systems Programmer         |  Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.
Electronic Vision / FITNE  |
zztong@laxmi.ev.net        |  -- Joe Walsh for the 21st Century

Date:
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:

> > >     Enlighten me...what is "the GOP"?
> >
> > Sorry.  The US Republican Party, which uses an elephant for their mascot.
>
> I wouldn't let that stop you from using an elephant. I think that's a
> pretty far leap. And I don't expect anyone would associate the two unless
> you used the exact same elephant logo.

    And, unless you are in the US, you wouldn't know anyway :)

Re: [GENERAL] How about this LOGO?

From
Guido Piazzi
Date:
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:
> > Sorry.  The US Republican Party, which uses an elephant for their mascot.
>
> I wouldn't let that stop you from using an elephant. I think that's a
> pretty far leap. And I don't expect anyone would associate the two unless
> you used the exact same elephant logo.

How about a running elephant?

A young red running elephant has already been used as a logo for Lancia HF
cars years ago.  It was cute.

-gp

// Guido Carlo Piazzi                       Accompagnatore naturalistico
// gpiazzi@nemo.it            Visitate il sito WWW.ParcoDelTicino.Pmn.It