Graphical database maintenence design tool

From
Peter Cordone
Date:
I am new to Postgres and somewhat new to Linux and Unix.  I am trying to
find a graphical tool that I can use to do my database table design, in
XWindows or one that I can run in Microsoft Windows NT over my network.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Re: [GENERAL] Graphical database maintenence design tool

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Peter Cordone wrote:

> I am new to Postgres and somewhat new to Linux and Unix.  I am trying to
> find a graphical tool that I can use to do my database table design, in
> XWindows or one that I can run in Microsoft Windows NT over my network.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything?

    There are several in existence.

    pgaccess is raved about, and comes wiht the distribution in the
src/bin directory.

    If you looked at http://www.postgresql.org/cd-dist.shtml, there
are links to various third-party interfaces that are included on the CD,
with two more being added shortly...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] Graphical database maintenence design tool

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Peter Cordone wrote:

> I am new to Postgres and somewhat new to Linux and Unix.  I am trying to
> find a graphical tool that I can use to do my database table design, in
> XWindows or one that I can run in Microsoft Windows NT over my network.

pgaccess is what you may want to look into.  It is a Tcl/Tk application,
and is reminiscent of Access, but is a front end to Postgres (you would
use pgaccess instead of psql).  Another option is to install the PostODBC
drivers and use Access itself (or something similar) to use under Windows
and connect to the server.  A quick and dirty method is to create your
tables with psql, input the data into an Access database, and then import
the data into postgres.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

Re: [GENERAL] Graphical database maintenence design tool

From
Peter Mount
Date:
On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Peter Cordone wrote:

> I am new to Postgres and somewhat new to Linux and Unix.  I am trying to
> find a graphical tool that I can use to do my database table design, in
> XWindows or one that I can run in Microsoft Windows NT over my network.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything?

There are also quite a few Java JDBC Applications out there that will run
on both Linux and NT without recompiling. Check on www.gamelan.com

I know of two works in progres for Postgresql:

  WIDD by Nicolas Prochazka <nprochaz@etu.info.unicaen.fr> is in its early
stages, but it looks pretty good. It can handle the display of large
objects, and sql queries open up browser windows.

  Finder by me is a little larger, but it's primarily an Astronomical
application, with some PostgreSQL management functions, and the ability to
display query results in both tabular and graphical forms.

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk