9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From
gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it

Hi all,
the 9.0.2 has them, but 9.0.3 pdf documentation is missing the bookmarks.
When looking for something is a real pain having to always use find or switch back to TOC pages.

Any chance that you can generate and republish a corrected doc?

Thanks,
Gabriele

Re: 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From
Josh Kupershmidt
Date:
[CC'ing the -www list, since this affects the PDFs provided by the
website. Ugh, and resending without attachments since it looks like
the last attempt didn't make it to the list.]

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:15 AM,  <gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it> wrote:
> the 9.0.2 has them, but 9.0.3 pdf documentation is missing the bookmarks.
> When looking for something is a real pain having to always use find or
> switch back to TOC pages.
>
> Any chance that you can generate and republish a corrected doc?

Hi Gabriele,

Thanks for taking the time to report this, and sorry for the delay in
following up. Just to clarify what (I think) Gabriele is complaining
about, here [1] is a screenshot from the Okular viewer of the
9.0.3 -A4 or -US PDFs from the website [2]. You can see that the
"Contents" pane in the top left is greyed out [3].

When I built these PDFs from the 9.0.3 tarball myself, the results
looked better [4]. Assuming this fixes Gabriele's problem, could we
update the website with the fixed versions [5] of the 9.0.3 PDFs?

Also, I noticed that the page of PDFs is not consistent with the PDF
naming scheme wrt. minor version numbers. We provide e.g.
"postgresql-8.4.6-A4.pdf" and "postgresql-9.0-A4.pdf". Personally, I
like having the minor version number included, but could we just be
consistent either way?

Josh

--
Footnotes / links:
[1] see http://kupershmidt.org/pg/screenshot_9.0.3_missing.png

Re: [pgsql-www] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From
Magnus Hagander

On Apr 17, 2011 1:32 AM, "Josh Kupershmidt" <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:

> [CC'ing the -www list, since this affects the PDFs provided by the
> website. Ugh, and resending without attachments since it looks like
> the last attempt didn't make it to the list.]
>
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:15 AM,  <gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it> wrote:
> > the 9.0.2 has them, but 9.0.3 pdf documentation is missing the bookmarks.
> > When looking for something is a real pain having to always use find or
> > switch back to TOC pages.
> >
> > Any chance that you can generate and republish a corrected doc?
>
> Hi Gabriele,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to report this, and sorry for the delay in
> following up. Just to clarify what (I think) Gabriele is complaining
> about, here [1] is a screenshot from the Okular viewer of the
> 9.0.3 -A4 or -US PDFs from the website [2]. You can see that the
> "Contents" pane in the top left is greyed out [3].
>
> When I built these PDFs from the 9.0.3 tarball myself, the results
> looked better [4]. Assuming this fixes Gabriele's problem, could we
> update the website with the fixed versions [5] of the 9.0.3 PDFs?

Could this be because of the efforts to reduce the size of the pdf's that was implemented a while ago?

> Also, I noticed that the page of PDFs is not consistent with the PDF
> naming scheme wrt. minor version numbers. We provide e.g.
> "postgresql-8.4.6-A4.pdf" and "postgresql-9.0-A4.pdf". Personally, I
> like having the minor version number included, but could we just be
> consistent either way?

We have a standard now, 8.4 just predates it. The standard is without the minor version, and the reasining behind this is both that it decreases storage requiremenyåts and more imoortant that a new version doesn't invalidate all old links, both on our own sites and othets...

/Magnus

Date:
On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2011 1:32 AM, "Josh Kupershmidt" <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I built these PDFs from the 9.0.3 tarball myself, the results
>> looked better [4]. Assuming this fixes Gabriele's problem, could we
>> update the website with the fixed versions [5] of the 9.0.3 PDFs?
>
> Could this be because of the efforts to reduce the size of the pdf's that
> was implemented a while ago?

I used jpdftweak as described[1] with the jpdftweak "normal" version
[2], and the compressed PDFs produced looked fine as well, see
compressed output PDFs here:
  * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.3-US_compressed_fixed.pdf
  * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.3-A4_compressed_fixed.pdf

Josh

--
[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2010-09/msg00124.php
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpdftweak/files/jpdftweak/jpdftweak-1.0/jpdftweak-1.0.zip/download

Re: [pgsql-www] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From
Cédric Villemain
Date:
2011/4/17 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:

> On Apr 17, 2011 1:32 AM, "Josh Kupershmidt" <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [CC'ing the -www list, since this affects the PDFs provided by the
>> website. Ugh, and resending without attachments since it looks like
>> the last attempt didn't make it to the list.]
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:15 AM,  <gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it> wrote:
>> > the 9.0.2 has them, but 9.0.3 pdf documentation is missing the
>> > bookmarks.
>> > When looking for something is a real pain having to always use find or
>> > switch back to TOC pages.
>> >
>> > Any chance that you can generate and republish a corrected doc?
>>
>> Hi Gabriele,
>>
>> Thanks for taking the time to report this, and sorry for the delay in
>> following up. Just to clarify what (I think) Gabriele is complaining
>> about, here [1] is a screenshot from the Okular viewer of the
>> 9.0.3 -A4 or -US PDFs from the website [2]. You can see that the
>> "Contents" pane in the top left is greyed out [3].
>>
>> When I built these PDFs from the 9.0.3 tarball myself, the results
>> looked better [4]. Assuming this fixes Gabriele's problem, could we
>> update the website with the fixed versions [5] of the 9.0.3 PDFs?
>
> Could this be because of the efforts to reduce the size of the pdf's that
> was implemented a while ago?
>
>> Also, I noticed that the page of PDFs is not consistent with the PDF
>> naming scheme wrt. minor version numbers. We provide e.g.
>> "postgresql-8.4.6-A4.pdf" and "postgresql-9.0-A4.pdf". Personally, I
>> like having the minor version number included, but could we just be
>> consistent either way?
>
> We have a standard now, 8.4 just predates it. The standard is without the
> minor version, and the reasining behind this is both that it decreases
> storage requiremenyåts and more imoortant that a new version doesn't
> invalidate all old links, both on our own sites and othets...

In http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/  the 8.4 pdf file is the
only one misnamed then.

> /Magnus

Re: 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 19:31 -0400, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:

> Also, I noticed that the page of PDFs is not consistent with the PDF
> naming scheme wrt. minor version numbers. We provide e.g.
> "postgresql-8.4.6-A4.pdf" and "postgresql-9.0-A4.pdf". Personally, I
> like having the minor version number included, but could we just be
> consistent either way?

It is probably my fault, but I'm too lazy to fix it, since I will also
have to fix RPM spec files, etc. The problem will go away when we EOL
8.4 3 years later or so :)
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Date:
On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 11:22 -0400, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:

> > Could this be because of the efforts to reduce the size of the pdf's
> that
> > was implemented a while ago?
>
> I used jpdftweak as described[1] with the jpdftweak "normal" version
> [2], and the compressed PDFs produced looked fine as well

I'm confused.

This is the script that I'm using:

java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i $i -savebookmarks $i-bookmarks.csv
java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i $i -loadbookmarks $i-bookmarks.csv -os $i.new

(where $i is the filename)

Is that different from what you did?

Regards,

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Date:
2011/4/18 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> I'm confused.
>
> This is the script that I'm using:
>
> java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i $i -savebookmarks $i-bookmarks.csv
> java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i $i -loadbookmarks $i-bookmarks.csv -os $i.new
>
> (where $i is the filename)
>
> Is that different from what you did?

I ran:
java -jar jpdftweak.jar postgres-A4.pdf -os
postgres-9.0.3-A4_compressed_fixed.pdf

(taken from Magnus in the linked thread).

Josh

Rif: Re: [pgsql-www] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From
gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it

Thank you so much for the effort, i appreciate it.
The attached 9.0.3 manuals (fixed and compressed) now have bookmarks.
But...
my merciless censoship uncovered that the just published 9.0.4 pdf is again without bookmarks :)

Gabriele

Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com>

19/04/2011 04:10

Per
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>
CC
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org, gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it, pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Oggetto
Re: [pgsql-www] [DOCS] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

Date:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM, <gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it> wrote:
> Thank you so much for the effort, i appreciate it.
> The attached 9.0.3 manuals (fixed and compressed) now have bookmarks.
> But...
> my merciless censoship uncovered that the just published 9.0.4 pdf is again without bookmarks :)

Here are fixed versions of the 9.0.4 PDFs:
 * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.4-A4_compressed_fixed.pdf
 * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.4-US_compressed_fixed.pdf

Josh

Rif: Re: Re: [pgsql-www] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From
gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it

Thank you again Josh.
Could it be possible to fix the build procedure accordingly? Just to avoid that i hassle you all again for the next release...
Do you need that i open a bug for that?

Gabriele

Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com>

20/04/2011 01:32

Per
gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it
CC
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org, pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Oggetto
Re: Re: [pgsql-www] [DOCS] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM, <gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it> wrote:
> Thank you so much for the effort, i appreciate it.
> The attached 9.0.3 manuals (fixed and compressed) now have bookmarks.
> But...
> my merciless censoship uncovered that the just published 9.0.4 pdf is again without bookmarks :)

Here are fixed versions of the 9.0.4 PDFs:
* http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.4-A4_compressed_fixed.pdf
* http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.4-US_compressed_fixed.pdf

Josh

Attachment

Date:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:52 AM, <gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it> wrote:
> Thank you again Josh.
> Could it be possible to fix the build procedure accordingly? Just to avoid that i hassle you all again for the next
release...
> Do you need that i open a bug for that?

Devrim, or anyone else running the website, any chance of getting this
fixed? I think you could just use the 9.0.4 PDFs I posted if you don't
want to regenerate yourself. Let me know if there's anything else I
can do to help.

Thanks
Josh

9.0.4 PDFs are missing bookmarks on our web site

Date:
Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:52 AM, <gabriele.garuglieri@infoblu.it> wrote:
> > Thank you again Josh.
> > Could it be possible to fix the build procedure accordingly? Just to avoid that i hassle you all again for the next
release...
> > Do you need that i open a bug for that?
>
> Devrim, or anyone else running the website, any chance of getting this
> fixed? I think you could just use the 9.0.4 PDFs I posted if you don't
> want to regenerate yourself. Let me know if there's anything else I
> can do to help.

Why does our web site still have non-bookmark 9.0.4 PDFs:

    http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.0/postgresql-9.0-US.pdf

The correct versions are here:

    Here are fixed versions of the 9.0.4 PDFs:
     * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.4-A4_compressed_fixed.pdf
     * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.4-US_compressed_fixed.pdf

Did we find out how the bookmarks got removed in the first place?

Re: 9.0.4 PDFs are missing bookmarks on our web site

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 23:56 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Why does our web site still have non-bookmark 9.0.4 PDFs:

...because I was away for work and then Formula 1.

> Did we find out how the bookmarks got removed in the first place?

Thom asked me to upgrade jpdtweak to 1.0 yesterday, and it fixed the
issue. I'm not sure why it happened though -- I was using 0.9.5 since
the beginning.

Anyway, 9.0-A4 is on website now. I just committed 9.0-US to svn, so it
will appear in next site build.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: 9.0.4 PDFs are missing bookmarks on our web site

Date:
Devrim G�ND�Z wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 23:56 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Why does our web site still have non-bookmark 9.0.4 PDFs:
>
> ...because I was away for work and then Formula 1.
>
> > Did we find out how the bookmarks got removed in the first place?
>
> Thom asked me to upgrade jpdtweak to 1.0 yesterday, and it fixed the
> issue. I'm not sure why it happened though -- I was using 0.9.5 since
> the beginning.
>
> Anyway, 9.0-A4 is on website now. I just committed 9.0-US to svn, so it
> will appear in next site build.

Thanks.  I can confirm that the 9.0-US PDF now has bookmarks.  FYI, the
PDF is now 18MB;  previously it was 8MB without bookmarks.  That's 10MB
of bookmarks.  :-O

Re: 9.0.4 PDFs are missing bookmarks on our web site

From
Thom Brown
Date:
2011/5/10 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
>> On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 23:56 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> > Why does our web site still have non-bookmark 9.0.4 PDFs:
>>
>> ...because I was away for work and then Formula 1.
>>
>> > Did we find out how the bookmarks got removed in the first place?
>>
>> Thom asked me to upgrade jpdtweak to 1.0 yesterday, and it fixed the
>> issue. I'm not sure why it happened though -- I was using 0.9.5 since
>> the beginning.
>>
>> Anyway, 9.0-A4 is on website now. I just committed 9.0-US to svn, so it
>> will appear in next site build.
>
> Thanks.  I can confirm that the 9.0-US PDF now has bookmarks.  FYI, the
> PDF is now 18MB;  previously it was 8MB without bookmarks.  That's 10MB
> of bookmarks.  :-O

That can't be a compacted version then.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgsql-www] 9.0.4 PDFs are missing bookmarks on our web site

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 15:25 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> > Thanks.  I can confirm that the 9.0-US PDF now has bookmarks.  FYI,
> the
> > PDF is now 18MB;  previously it was 8MB without bookmarks.  That's
> 10MB
> > of bookmarks.  :-O
>
> That can't be a compacted version then.

/me grumbles.

Ok, uploading correct ones in 10 minutes.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Rif: Re: 9.0.4 PDFs are missing bookmarks on our web site

Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> scritti il 10/05/2011 16:22:54

> Thanks.  I can confirm that the 9.0-US PDF now has bookmarks.  FYI, the
> PDF is now 18MB;  previously it was 8MB without bookmarks.  That's 10MB
> of bookmarks.  :-O

I think it should be compressed.

The compressed version produced by Josh is just 8Mb with all the bookmarks.

Gabriele

Re: [pgsql-www] 9.0.4 PDFs are missing bookmarks on our web site

Date:
Devrim G�ND�Z wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 15:25 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> > > Thanks.  I can confirm that the 9.0-US PDF now has bookmarks.  FYI,
> > the
> > > PDF is now 18MB;  previously it was 8MB without bookmarks.  That's
> > 10MB
> > > of bookmarks.  :-O
> >
> > That can't be a compacted version then.
>
> /me grumbles.
>
> Ok, uploading correct ones in 10 minutes.

I can confirm the PDFs look good now.  Thanks.