CVS in docs

From
Thom Brown
Date:
Do references to the CVS need removing now that everything is on GIT?

Is the CVS page still relevant?
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/anoncvs.html (cvs.sgml)
This refers to that page and the anoncvs web interface:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/release.html (release.sgml)
The installation page talks about building from a CVS tree:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/install-requirements.html
(installation.sgml)
HOT (Heap-Only Typles) in acronyms (acronyms.sgml) links to anoncvs,
so maybe point it to
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT;hb=HEAD
NLS info for translators refers to CVS:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/nls-translator.html
(nls.sgml)
Bug reporting mentions CVS:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/bug-reporting.html
(problems.sgml)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: CVS in docs

Date:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> Do references to the CVS need removing now that everything is on GIT?

The chapter about CVS obviously needs to be replaced.  I was talking
to Magnus about that earlier, and we both felt that that needs to be
back-patched, if only so that there are non-obsolete repository URLs
in the next back-branch updates.  I'm not sure that we need the
tutorial-ish description of how to do checkouts etc, but at the least
we need the URLs.

A quick grep suggests that there are a dozen or two other passing
references to CVS in docs and comments, which'd be worth cleaning
up in HEAD, but probably not worth back-patching.

            regards, tom lane

Re: CVS in docs

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 00:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> Do references to the CVS need removing now that everything is on GIT?
>
> The chapter about CVS obviously needs to be replaced.  I was talking
> to Magnus about that earlier, and we both felt that that needs to be
> back-patched, if only so that there are non-obsolete repository URLs
> in the next back-branch updates.  I'm not sure that we need the
> tutorial-ish description of how to do checkouts etc, but at the least
> we need the URLs.

Here's a suggested patch for this. Most of it is just taking out the
cvs documentation since most of the git info was in there already. I
also moved some notes around.

Finally, I took the liberty to rip out the <appendixinfo> part listing
specific authors. Most of what they did is gone now anyway, and we
don't have those entries on other files.

> A quick grep suggests that there are a dozen or two other passing
> references to CVS in docs and comments, which'd be worth cleaning
> up in HEAD, but probably not worth back-patching.

Agreed.

What about the messages in configure?
"configure:*** Without Bison you will not be able to build PostgreSQL
from CVS nor"

coming out of config/*.m4?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Attachment

Re: CVS in docs

Date:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 00:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> A quick grep suggests that there are a dozen or two other passing
>> references to CVS in docs and comments, which'd be worth cleaning
>> up in HEAD, but probably not worth back-patching.

> Agreed.

> What about the messages in configure?
> "configure:*** Without Bison you will not be able to build PostgreSQL
> from CVS nor"

I was lumping those in the "not worth back-patching" category, but
if you're excited about them, feel free to back-patch.

            regards, tom lane

Re: CVS in docs

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 15:46, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 00:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> A quick grep suggests that there are a dozen or two other passing
>>> references to CVS in docs and comments, which'd be worth cleaning
>>> up in HEAD, but probably not worth back-patching.
>
>> Agreed.
>
>> What about the messages in configure?
>> "configure:*** Without Bison you will not be able to build PostgreSQL
>> from CVS nor"
>
> I was lumping those in the "not worth back-patching" category, but
> if you're excited about them, feel free to back-patch.

Ok. I'll see - I need to get an old version of autoconf going too - I
somehow managed to wipe the one I have, and Ubuntu ships with a
different version :-)

I take the lack of comment on the patch itself as silent approval, so
I'll go look at backporting it soon.

--

Date:
On 22 September 2010 15:07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 15:46, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
>>
>>> Agreed.
>>
>>> What about the messages in configure?
>>> "configure:*** Without Bison you will not be able to build PostgreSQL
>>> from CVS nor"
>>
>> I was lumping those in the "not worth back-patching" category, but
>> if you're excited about them, feel free to back-patch.
>
> Ok. I'll see - I need to get an old version of autoconf going too - I
> somehow managed to wipe the one I have, and Ubuntu ships with a
> different version :-)
>
> I take the lack of comment on the patch itself as silent approval, so
> I'll go look at backporting it soon.

I don't see any mention of redirecting the Heap-Only Tuples glossary
reference link.  Is that staying as it is?

--

Date:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 16:10, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 22 September 2010 15:07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> I was lumping those in the "not worth back-patching" category, but
>>> if you're excited about them, feel free to back-patch.
>>
>> Ok. I'll see - I need to get an old version of autoconf going too - I
>> somehow managed to wipe the one I have, and Ubuntu ships with a
>> different version :-)
>>
>> I take the lack of comment on the patch itself as silent approval, so
>> I'll go look at backporting it soon.
>
> I don't see any mention of redirecting the Heap-Only Tuples glossary
> reference link.  Is that staying as it is?

Ah, good point. No, let's change that.

--

Date:
>  <!-- appendixes -->
>  <!entity contacts   SYSTEM "contacts.sgml">
> -<!entity cvs        SYSTEM "cvs.sgml">
> +<!entity sourcerepo SYSTEM "sourcerepo.sgml">
>  <!entity datetime   SYSTEM "datetime.sgml">
>  <!entity docguide   SYSTEM "docguide.sgml">
>  <!entity errcodes   SYSTEM "errcodes.sgml">

Please keep the filelist entries in alphabetical order.

>     <!-- we need a file containing the CVS logs for each release, and something
>     like the SVN web interface that groups commits but has branches -->

This comment should be updated, or deleted entirely.

I didn't attempt to read the changes in sourcerepo.sgml ... as you well
know, I find diff -u format utterly unreadable for more than one-liner
changes.

            regards, tom lane

Re: CVS in docs

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 17:35, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>  <!-- appendixes -->
>>  <!entity contacts   SYSTEM "contacts.sgml">
>> -<!entity cvs        SYSTEM "cvs.sgml">
>> +<!entity sourcerepo SYSTEM "sourcerepo.sgml">
>>  <!entity datetime   SYSTEM "datetime.sgml">
>>  <!entity docguide   SYSTEM "docguide.sgml">
>>  <!entity errcodes   SYSTEM "errcodes.sgml">
>
> Please keep the filelist entries in alphabetical order.

Ack.

>>     <!-- we need a file containing the CVS logs for each release, and something
>>     like the SVN web interface that groups commits but has branches -->
>
> This comment should be updated, or deleted entirely.

Given that I don't even understand what it means and what it does
there, I deleted it :)

> I didn't attempt to read the changes in sourcerepo.sgml ... as you well
> know, I find diff -u format utterly unreadable for more than one-liner
> changes.

Sorry about that. It's basically just deleting all the references to
cvs - the git chapter was there already - and moving the info about
bison/flex/perl requirements to the first section.

--

Date:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 19:29, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 17:35, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
>> I didn't attempt to read the changes in sourcerepo.sgml ... as you well
>> know, I find diff -u format utterly unreadable for more than one-liner
>> changes.
>
> Sorry about that. It's basically just deleting all the references to
> cvs - the git chapter was there already - and moving the info about
> bison/flex/perl requirements to the first section.

Looking at backpatching this, I realized the major changes we made to
it a while ago was only backpatched to 8.4. 8.3 and earlier has the
much more complex cvs instructoins.

I suggest just wiping those and replacing them with the same git
instructions we have now. Objections?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: CVS in docs

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mié sep 22 13:29:00 -0400 2010:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 17:35, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:

> >>     <!-- we need a file containing the CVS logs for each release, and something
> >>     like the SVN web interface that groups commits but has branches -->
> >
> > This comment should be updated, or deleted entirely.
>
> Given that I don't even understand what it means and what it does
> there, I deleted it :)

I think this is about having some sort of pointer to a ChangeLog or
similar resource (so that someone interested can see the commits for
each branch).  I didn't look at your patch, but if you provide a pointer
to the Git "summary", that seems enough.

BTW now that they are pestered with the PgFoundry commit messages, the
pgsql-committers archive do not seem a very useful resource anymore.
The Git "shortlog" seems much better, so maybe we should point to that.

Re: CVS in docs

Date:
> Looking at backpatching this, I realized the major changes we made to
> it a while ago was only backpatched to 8.4. 8.3 and earlier has the
> much more complex cvs instructoins.

> I suggest just wiping those and replacing them with the same git
> instructions we have now. Objections?

Works for me.

            regards, tom lane

Re: CVS in docs

Date:
> BTW now that they are pestered with the PgFoundry commit messages, the
> pgsql-committers archive do not seem a very useful resource anymore.
> The Git "shortlog" seems much better, so maybe we should point to that.

Hmm ... do we have a search engine for the shortlog?  Anyway, anybody
who knows git at all will already know about looking at the git log.
I think the separate pointer to the committers archives is still of
use here.

            regards, tom lane

Re: CVS in docs

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 20:05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Looking at backpatching this, I realized the major changes we made to
>> it a while ago was only backpatched to 8.4. 8.3 and earlier has the
>> much more complex cvs instructoins.
>
>> I suggest just wiping those and replacing them with the same git
>> instructions we have now. Objections?
>
> Works for me.

Applied.

--

Date:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 20:05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
>>> I suggest just wiping those and replacing them with the same git
>>> instructions we have now. Objections?
>>
>> Works for me.

> Applied.

Uh, why only back to 8.2?

            regards, tom lane

Re: CVS in docs

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 20:25, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>>> Works for me.
>
>> Applied.
>
> Uh, why only back to 8.2?

Based on the "the others are discontinued just over a month from now anyway"...

BTW, there are a ton of conflicts backpatching each step. I actually
had a conflict with a $PostgreSQL$ tag once in the Makefile going back
to 8.4 - so that does happen. But only once - the rest is all "proper"
conflicts.

--

Date:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 20:25, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Uh, why only back to 8.2?

> Based on the "the others are discontinued just over a month from now anyway"...

Yeah, but they will each have a final release.  Don't we want to have
the updated info in the final releases?  I don't care about the
incidental CVS mentions, but replacing cvs.sgml with that new chapter
seems worth the trouble.

> BTW, there are a ton of conflicts backpatching each step.

Welcome to the fun of back-patching.  Did you get any leverage from
cherry-picking, or did it seem to be just as stupid as plain "patch"?

            regards, tom lane

Re: CVS in docs

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 20:37, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 20:25, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Uh, why only back to 8.2?
>
>> Based on the "the others are discontinued just over a month from now anyway"...
>
> Yeah, but they will each have a final release.  Don't we want to have
> the updated info in the final releases?  I don't care about the
> incidental CVS mentions, but replacing cvs.sgml with that new chapter
> seems worth the trouble.

Hmm. yeah. I'll look at doing it back to 7.4 then. I'll do the
incidental mentions as well if they merge cleanly :-)

>> BTW, there are a ton of conflicts backpatching each step.
>
> Welcome to the fun of back-patching.  Did you get any leverage from

Oh, it's not the first time. I just wanted to make note that one, but
only one, conflicted on the $PostgreSQL$ tag.

> cherry-picking, or did it seem to be just as stupid as plain "patch"?

It *seemed* smarter. But I didn't try to backpatchthe same thing both
ways, so it's hard to tell for sure.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: CVS in docs

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> BTW now that they are pestered with the PgFoundry commit messages, the
> pgsql-committers archive do not seem a very useful resource anymore.
> The Git "shortlog" seems much better, so maybe we should point to that.

I missed why that happened in the first place, but based on being a
subscriber isn't that something that should be split onto another list
regardless?  The chatter added to pgsql-committers from everything there
really seems inappropriate.  A new pgsql-pgfoundry for all those instead
perhaps?

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us

Re: CVS in docs

Date:
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> BTW now that they are pestered with the PgFoundry commit messages, the
>> pgsql-committers archive do not seem a very useful resource anymore.
>> The Git "shortlog" seems much better, so maybe we should point to that.

> I missed why that happened in the first place, but based on being a
> subscriber isn't that something that should be split onto another list
> regardless?

IIRC, it was essentially a political decision, meant to help make
pgfoundry authors feel more like a part of the core project.  Personally
I filter the non-core commits separately anyway...

            regards, tom lane