RC1 question of reloading data

From
Theodore Petrosky
Date:
I just downloaded and installed RC1 (7.4) on OSX 10.3.
Everything went smoothly for the config. make and
install.

while reloading the data (from pg_dump in 7.3) I
inadvertently screwed up. Or maybe not...

my dump file was as1.out so I...

psql < as1.out

I knew it was wrong the moment after I hit the return
as I did not specify the database (i did create it
with createdb). I did not get any error message. I
went looking to see if the data was pushed somewhere
bad like template1. But couldn't find it.

I did load my data correctly but, where did the first
set go? Did it just disappear into the ether?

Ted Petrosky

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

Re: RC1 question of reloading data

From
Tomas Szepe
Date:
On Nov-11 2003, Tue, 11:38 -0800
Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just downloaded and installed RC1 (7.4) on OSX 10.3.
> Everything went smoothly for the config. make and
> install.
>
> while reloading the data (from pg_dump in 7.3) I
> inadvertently screwed up. Or maybe not...
>
> my dump file was as1.out so I...
>
> psql < as1.out

The data went into the $(whoami) database per default.

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>

Re: RC1 question of reloading data

From
Theodore Petrosky
Date:
So, I was logged on as postgres. but there is no
database called 'postgres' (or maybe I don't
understand the internals). Keep in mind that I am only
looking for understanding of the process... and I want
to make sure that doing this doesn't create problems
later.

Ted

--- Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com> wrote:
> On Nov-11 2003, Tue, 11:38 -0800
> Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded and installed RC1 (7.4) on OSX
> 10.3.
> > Everything went smoothly for the config. make and
> > install.
> >
> > while reloading the data (from pg_dump in 7.3) I
> > inadvertently screwed up. Or maybe not...
> >
> > my dump file was as1.out so I...
> >
> > psql < as1.out
>
> The data went into the $(whoami) database per
> default.
>
> --
> Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

Re: RC1 question of reloading data

From
jerry
Date:
Theodore Petrosky wrote:

> So, I was logged on as postgres. but there is no
> database called 'postgres' (or maybe I don't
> understand the internals). Keep in mind that I am only
> looking for understanding of the process... and I want
> to make sure that doing this doesn't create problems
> later.
>
> Ted
Postgres is not a 'database', it is the account name which owns the commands
and the directories with which and into which the database structure is
created using "initdb".  If you followed the short installation version you
would have done something like this:

jerry$ su
root@jerry# mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
root@jerry# chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
root@jerry# su - postgres
-bash-2.05b$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Then you could log in using psql and create your user name and db template,
etc.

--
GreyGeek