OSCON 2015 Booth/BoF

From
gabrielle

It's that time of year again.

1. Who's currently planning to attend OSCON?

2. I'm expecting the booth application process to open any day now.

For those who've attended in recent years, do you feel it is still worthwhile to have a booth?  (Traffic has really fallen off in the past couple of years, not just at the booth, but in the expo hall in general.)

3. PDXPUG will be hosting a BoF session, as usual.

gabrielle

Re: OSCON 2015 Booth/BoF

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 03/14/2015 08:58 AM, gabrielle wrote:

> It's that time of year again.
>
> 1. Who's currently planning to attend OSCON?

Don't know, haven't heard about talks yet, either yes or no.

> 2. I'm expecting the booth application process to open any day now.
>
> For those who've attended in recent years, do you feel it is still
> worthwhile to have a booth?  (Traffic has really fallen off in the past
> couple of years, not just at the booth, but in the expo hall in general.)

I'd leave this up to the folks who actually need to take off work.  For
those of us attending the actual conference, it's not much of a hardship
to work the booth.  I'm happy to put in a shift or two.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: OSCON 2015 Booth/BoF

From
"Gilberto Castillo"

> It's that time of year again.
>
> 1. Who's currently planning to attend OSCON?
>
> 2. I'm expecting the booth application process to open any day now.
>
> For those who've attended in recent years, do you feel it is still
> worthwhile to have a booth?  (Traffic has really fallen off in the past
> couple of years, not just at the booth, but in the expo hall in general.)
>
> 3. PDXPUG will be hosting a BoF session, as usual.

Hello Grabile, Cuba had need  of assist and from show ours products.

In waiting that is day arrives.

Rgds,
Gilberto Castillo
La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

Re: OSCON 2015 Booth/BoF

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 3:58 PM, gabrielle <gorthx@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Who's currently planning to attend OSCON?

I don't know but I was just weeding the spam folder and found this:

> OSCON, the O'Reilly Open Source Convention, is heading to Amsterdam this year, taking place 26–28 October, 2015, and
we'reinviting you to submit a proposal to speak.

Now wouldn't you know it, this is the same week as PGConf.eu. There's
some overlap but assuming the training sessions are the beginning of
the week and assuming it's not necessary to attend every day of OSCON
it may be possible to do both.

--
greg

Re: OSCON 2015 Booth/BoF

From
Magnus Hagander

On Apr 6, 2015 12:28 AM, "Greg Stark" <stark@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 3:58 PM, gabrielle <gorthx@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. Who's currently planning to attend OSCON?
>
> I don't know but I was just weeding the spam folder and found this:
>
> > OSCON, the O'Reilly Open Source Convention, is heading to Amsterdam this year, taking place 26–28 October, 2015, and we're inviting you to submit a proposal to speak.
>
> Now wouldn't you know it, this is the same week as PGConf.eu. There's
> some overlap but assuming the training sessions are the beginning of
> the week and assuming it's not necessary to attend every day of OSCON
> it may be possible to do both .

Oh, crap. I wonder if that's going to end up hurting us for attendance :S

/Magnus

Re: OSCON 2015 Booth/BoF

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 04/06/2015 01:30 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>  > Now wouldn't you know it, this is the same week as PGConf.eu. There's
>  > some overlap but assuming the training sessions are the beginning of
>  > the week and assuming it's not necessary to attend every day of OSCON
>  > it may be possible to do both .
>
> Oh, crap. I wonder if that's going to end up hurting us for attendance :S

I doubt it. I don't know about others but OSCON seems pretty lackluster
nowadays.

JD

Re: OSCON 2015 Booth/BoF

From
gabrielle
Date:
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 03/14/2015 08:58 AM, gabrielle wrote:
> 2. I'm expecting the booth application process to open any day now.
>
> For those who've attended in recent years, do you feel it is still
> worthwhile to have a booth?  (Traffic has really fallen off in the past
> couple of years, not just at the booth, but in the expo hall in general.)

I'd leave this up to the folks who actually need to take off work.  For
those of us attending the actual conference, it's not much of a hardship
to work the booth.  I'm happy to put in a shift or two.

That would be me (the "taking off work" part).  After discussing this with several folks, I've decided not to invest my time in organizing a booth this year;  I don't feel the ROI is worth it.

PDXPUG will host a BoF as usual;  I'll announce it here & the usual spots.

gabrielle