New User Group Addition

From
Ben Milliron
Hello All:

My name is Ben Milliron, I am a professional DBA from the Central Pennsylvania area in the United States.  I have started a new user group for my geographical area and would like listed in the user group section of http://www.postgresql.org.  The web site URL, for the user group is http://www.CentralPaPUG.org

Can someone please tell me the best way to go about getting a link added?

Thanks,

-Ben Milliron

Re: New User Group Addition

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Ben,

Hello All:

My name is Ben Milliron, I am a professional DBA from the Central Pennsylvania area in the United States.  I have started a new user group for my geographical area and would like listed in the user group section of http://www.postgresql.org.  The web site URL, for the user group ishttp://www.CentralPaPUG.org

Congratulations on starting a PUG!

Can someone please tell me the best way to go about getting a link added?

We recommend that first you create an organization, which will allow you to post news and events - https://www.postgresql.org/account/organisations/new/

A PUG entry will have to be added by a postgresql.org moderator (in this case me).  Are you planning any upcoming meetups?  Where in Central PA are you planning to host events?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: New User Group Addition

From
Ben Milliron
Hi Jonathan:

I have signed up for an organization account at the link you have provided, and have not yet received my confirmation email.  To answer your question regarding meetings, yes I am planning on conducting meetings in the State College, Pa area, and possibly hold virtual meetings as well. The first challenge is to connect with other PostgreSQL professionals and formulate a good working agenda. This user group will cover a pretty large area, so having more frequent virtual meetings and a select number of in person events each year is the direction I am taking.

Please let me know what else I need to provide you in order to get listed on the user groups page.

Thanks,

-Ben

[...]

Date:
Hi Ben,

I have signed up for an organization account at the link you have provided, and have not yet received my confirmation email.

Are you sure it saved?  I have not seen anything come through the system.

To answer your question regarding meetings, yes I am planning on conducting meetings in the State College, Pa area, and possibly hold virtual meetings as well. The first challenge is to connect with other PostgreSQL professionals and formulate a good working agenda. This user group will cover a pretty large area, so having more frequent virtual meetings and a select number of in person events each year is the direction I am taking.

OK - there are groups that take a similar approach.

Please let me know what else I need to provide you in order to get listed on the user groups page.

I have the URL to the site thanks to previous emails.  To be consistent with our other meetup groups, there are a few changes that should be made to the site, i.e.:

* Having a schedule or a list of past / planned / upcoming meetups available (I noticed there is a "private" section for this but it should be public information as we are  a community)
* More information about the actual meetup group itself, similar to what you just provided in your previous email, and things like who is organizing it, how to easily get in contact, etc.

Do you have a mailing list setup?  We try to link to the signup for those too./

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: New User Group Addition

From
Ben Milliron
Hi Jonathan:

I made the recommended web site changes to http://www.CentralPaPug.org.  I also was able to get my PostgreSQL account working. I have a couple questions:

1. Do I need to submit the user group as an organization to complete the user group listing, or do you add it manually?
2. Do I need to provide you with any text for the listing?  What do you think of the listing:

Central Pennsylvania: PostgreSQL User Group serving the counties of Central Pa (website)(mailing list)

3. Will you also set up a mailing list for the user group I could ask people to use?

Thanks,

-Ben

[...]

Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Ben Milliron wrote:

> 3. Will you also set up a mailing list for the user group I could ask people to use?

We have about three dozen PUG mailing lists, and most of them are dead.
Honestly I'm not sure PUG mailing lists offer any value.  Does anyone
opine differently?

Re: New User Group Addition

From
Ben Milliron
I am fine with not using a list for our group if that makes it easier from a maintenance perspective. In regard to how useful they are, I guess it would depend, but I would agree it is better not to create one if  it isn't going to be used.

-Ben

> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:54:36 -0400
> From: alvherre@2ndquadrant.com
> To: bmilliron@hotmail.com
> CC: jonathan.katz@excoventures.com; pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] New User Group Addition
>
> Ben Milliron wrote:
>
> > 3. Will you also set up a mailing list for the user group I could ask people to use?
>
> We have about three dozen PUG mailing lists, and most of them are dead.
> Honestly I'm not sure PUG mailing lists offer any value. Does anyone
> opine differently?
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: New User Group Addition

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Ben,

1. Do I need to submit the user group as an organization to complete the user group listing, or do you add it manually?

The organization is a "nice-to-have" because it allows you to post events to the site (per policy: [http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval])

Best,

Jonathan

Re: New User Group Addition

From
Ben Milliron
Thanks for adding me to the list, I'm glad you like the web site.  I also just submitted the organization.  Hope to talk to you later.

-Ben