MC Triangle PUG

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Greetings,

During some discussions at Postrgres Open this week, a number of us
thought it would be a good idea to start (or is it revive) a PUG for the
NC Triangle (that's the Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill area for those of
you who don't live here :-) ). I understand that the first thing to kick
this off is a note to the advocacy mailing list, which is what I'm doing
here. If we get enough momentum, monthly meetings with a speaker and
refreshments would be a great goal. A longer term goal might be a
conference day - I don't think there is one held in the whole of the
SouthEast.

If people want to discuss, I'm currently sitting on an irc channel
called #trianglepug on Freenode. Offers of resources will be gratefully
received, I'm sure.

cheers

andrew

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
On 09/20/2013 11:33 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> During some discussions at Postrgres Open this week, a number of us
> thought it would be a good idea to start (or is it revive) a PUG for
> the NC Triangle (that's the Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill area for
> those of you who don't live here :-) ). I understand that the first
> thing to kick this off is a note to the advocacy mailing list, which
> is what I'm doing here. If we get enough momentum, monthly meetings
> with a speaker and refreshments would be a great goal. A longer term
> goal might be a conference day - I don't think there is one held in
> the whole of the SouthEast.
>
> If people want to discuss, I'm currently sitting on an irc channel
> called #trianglepug on Freenode. Offers of resources will be
> gratefully received, I'm sure.

Of course, I fat fingered to original subject. *sigh*

cheers

andrew

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Andrew,

On Sep 20, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> During some discussions at Postrgres Open this week, a number of us thought it would be a good idea to start (or is
itrevive) a PUG for the NC Triangle (that's the Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill area for those of you who don't live
here:-) ). I understand that the first thing to kick this off is a note to the advocacy mailing list, which is what I'm
doinghere. If we get enough momentum, monthly meetings with a speaker and refreshments would be a great goal. A longer
termgoal might be a conference day - I don't think there is one held in the whole of the SouthEast.

> If people want to discuss, I'm currently sitting on an irc channel called #trianglepug on Freenode. Offers of
resourceswill be gratefully received, I'm sure.

Glad to see the kickoff!  I would recommend starting a Meetup group on meetup.com to help organize the monthly events.
Doyou already have a mailing list or do you need one created?  The two avenues people are using are either using the
oneMeetup provides or having someone on the pg_infra team set one up.  Once you have a mailing list, I can add the NC
Trianglepug to our community list.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
Steve Singer

> Glad to see the kickoff! I would recommend starting a Meetup group on meetup.com to help organize the monthly events. Do you already have a mailing list or do you need one created? The two avenues people are using are either using the one Meetup provides or having someone on the pg_infra team set one up. Once you have a mailing list, I can add the NC Triangle pug to our community list.

Are there community funds available to cover the meetup.com fees?  As I recall a meetup.com organizer membership is in the range of $12 a month (which I think allows up to 3 groups).

Steve

> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 09/20/2013 08:55 AM, Steve Singer wrote:

>> Glad to see the kickoff!  I would recommend starting a Meetup group on meetup.com to help organize the monthly
events. Do you already have a mailing list or do you need one created?  The two avenues people are using are either
usingthe one Meetup provides or having someone on the pg_infra team set one up.  Once you have a mailing list, I can
addthe NC Triangle pug to our community list.

> Are there community funds available to cover the meetup.com fees?  As I recall a meetup.com organizer membership is
inthe range of $12 a month (which I think allows up to 3 groups).

Hmmm.  I wonder if we can set up a 2nd group out of the SFPUG account.
Fetter?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andrew,

Also, you already have your own song!

"Triangle PUG, Triangle PUG,
 Doing the things a triangle can.
 What's it like?  It's not important.
 Triangle PUG!"

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Sep 20, 2013, at 12:39 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 09/20/2013 08:55 AM, Steve Singer wrote:
>>
>>> Glad to see the kickoff!  I would recommend starting a Meetup group on meetup.com to help organize the monthly
events. Do you already have a mailing list or do you need one created?  The two avenues people are using are either
usingthe one Meetup provides or having someone on the pg_infra team set one up.  Once you have a mailing list, I can
addthe NC Triangle pug to our community list.

>> Are there community funds available to cover the meetup.com fees?  As I recall a meetup.com organizer membership is
inthe range of $12 a month (which I think allows up to 3 groups).

> Hmmm.  I wonder if we can set up a 2nd group out of the SFPUG account.
> Fetter?

I think it would be better to have PG.US support NC Triangle PUG directly, given the framework that has been put in
placeto support individual PUGs.

Jonathan

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
robert7390@comcast.net
Date:
color:rgb(31, 73, 125); text-align: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I was thinking the same thing.
There'sjust too much geography to interest people living south of San Mateo for example. </div><div style="width: 100%;
font-size:initial; font-family: Calibri, 'Slate Pro', sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); text-align: initial;
background-color:rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br /></div><div style="width: 100%; font-size: initial; font-family: Calibri,
'SlatePro', sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); text-align: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Robert
Bernier</div><div id="response_div_spacer" style="width: 100%; font-size: initial; font-family: Calibri, 'Slate Pro',
sans-serif;color: rgb(31, 73, 125); text-align: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br
style="display:initial"/></div><div id="_signaturePlaceholder" style="font-size: initial; font-family: Calibri, 'Slate
Pro',sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); text-align: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Sent from my
BlackBerry10 smartphone.</div><table style="background-color:white;border-spacing:0px;" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td
colspan="2"id="_persistentHeaderContainer" style="font-size: initial; text-align: initial; background-color: rgb(255,
255,255);"><div id="_persistentHeader" style="border-style: solid none none; border-top-color: rgb(181, 196, 223);
border-top-width:1pt; padding: 3pt 0in 0in; font-family: Tahoma, 'BB Alpha Sans', 'Slate Pro'; font-size:
border-top-color:rgb(186, 188, 209); border-top-width: 1pt; font-size: initial; text-align: initial; background-color:
/>><br />>> Glad to see the kickoff! I would recommend starting a Meetup group on meetup.com to help organize
themonthly events. Do you already have a mailing list or do you need one created? The two avenues people are using are
eitherusing the one Meetup provides or having someone on the pg_infra team set one up. Once you have a mailing list, I
tocover the meetup.com fees? As I recall a meetup.com organizer membership is in the range of $12 a month (which I
thinkallows up to 3 groups).<br /><br />Hmmm. I wonder if we can set up a 2nd group out of the SFPUG account.<br
/>http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-advocacy<br/></div>

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
On 09/20/2013 12:42 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

events. Do you already have a mailing list or do you need one created?  The two avenues people are using are either
usingthe one Meetup provides or having someone on the pg_infra team set one up.  Once you have a mailing list, I can
addthe NC Triangle pug to our community list.

>>> Are there community funds available to cover the meetup.com fees?  As I recall a meetup.com organizer membership is
inthe range of $12 a month (which I think allows up to 3 groups).
>> Hmmm.  I wonder if we can set up a 2nd group out of the SFPUG account.
>> Fetter?
> I think it would be better to have PG.US support NC Triangle PUG directly, given the framework that has been put in
placeto support individual PUGs.

OK. Let's get a PG hosted mailing list going. How do we go about setting
up the meetup stuff? Just do it and then bill PG.US?

Do we provide web space to PUGs?

cheers

andrew

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> OK. Let's get a PG hosted mailing list going. How do we go about setting
> up the meetup stuff? Just do it and then bill PG.US?

Supposedly either SFPUG or PG.US can add you to their existing accounts
somehow.

> Do we provide web space to PUGs?

Not at present, no.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: NC Triangle PUG

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
I think it would be worth maintaining a page on postgresql.org that links to the meetup pages (or other pages).

How about I submit a diff with that in it to the pgweb repo?