SMH on Salesforce-Oracle

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Anyone have any insight into what's going on with this Salesforce-Oracle love connection?  Seems kind of odd to hire Tom and a bunch of other guys, then announce a 9-year commitment to Oracle a few weeks later....

--
Ned Lilly
President and CEO

ned@xTuple.com // +1-757-461-3022 x101
xTuple.com – Download free ERP, CRM, accounting software
xTuple.org – Contribute to World’s #1 open source ERP community
NextBusinessBlog.com – Join the global innovation conversation

Attachment

Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 06/26/2013 03:38 PM, Ned Lilly wrote:
> Anyone have any insight into what's going on with this Salesforce-Oracle love
> connection?  Seems kind of odd to hire Tom and a bunch of other guys, then
> announce a 9-year commitment to Oracle a few weeks later....

The problem with a question like that is that anyone who knows the
answer can't post it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 06/26/2013 03:38 PM, Ned Lilly wrote:
> Anyone have any insight into what's going on with this Salesforce-Oracle
> love connection?  Seems kind of odd to hire Tom and a bunch of other
> guys, then announce a 9-year commitment to Oracle a few weeks later....

Covering the bases. Salesforce can't afford to make Oracle mad at this
point.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle

From
Leif Biberg Kristensen
Date:
Onsdag 26. juni 2013 18.38.04 skrev Ned Lilly:
> Anyone have any insight into what's going on with this Salesforce-Oracle
> love connection?  Seems kind of odd to hire Tom and a bunch of other
> guys, then announce a 9-year commitment to Oracle a few weeks later....

One might easily imagine the mentioning of a stick & a carrot in circumstances
like these. I believe that some kind of coercion may have been going on, but
then I'm just a simple guy from Norway reflecting about things and in no
position to convey anything but my own imaginations.

regards, Leif

Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle

Date:
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 06:38:04PM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
> Anyone have any insight into what's going on with this
> Salesforce-Oracle love connection?  Seems kind of odd to hire Tom
> and a bunch of other guys, then announce a 9-year commitment to
> Oracle a few weeks later....

Well, logic suggests that Salesforce was considering moving to Postgres
but, either because they got a good deal from Oracle or they were just
bluffing about moving to Postgres, they are no longer considering it.
The size, scope, publicity, and duration of the deal support this
conclusion:

    http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/1964798

The press release specifically mentions Oracle Database.

Of course, there might be some other conclusion, logical or illogical,
but I can't think of one.

Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle

From
comcast