Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jean-Paul Argudo
Subject Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi there,

Le jeudi 27 juin 2013 à 08:00 -0700, Joshua D. Drake a écrit :
> On 06/26/2013 06:08 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 06:38:04PM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
> >> Anyone have any insight into what's going on with this
> >> Salesforce-Oracle love connection?  Seems kind of odd to hire Tom
> >> and a bunch of other guys, then announce a 9-year commitment to
> >> Oracle a few weeks later....
> >
> > Well, logic suggests that Salesforce was considering moving to Postgres
> > but, either because they got a good deal from Oracle or they were just
> > bluffing about moving to Postgres, they are no longer considering it.
> > The size, scope, publicity, and duration of the deal support this
> > conclusion:
>
> I seriously doubt they were bluffing. They are instead likely realizing
> what a major undertaking it will be for them to migrate. A migration to
> PostgreSQL for Salesforce is not just about rewriting queries. They are
> going to need to modify postgresql itself. I bet it is a 5 year project
> minimum for them to migrate.

Il really agree to this.

> Further, just because they are using Oracle doesn't mean they aren't
> using PostgreSQL.
> JD

Indeed. We don't know about their strategy. I bet that some kind of new
products running on PostgreSQL instead of ORA-600 will show up in some
months. Something like Salesforce Light Version for low and medium range
companies :-)

I also agree with Magnus when he states about the various angles of a
deal like that. A 9 year contract, ok, but what does it covers really?

What I'll remind about all that story is that PostgreSQL has been
presented to the world as the real ORA-600 opponent, if not the only one
today.

That's a kind of recognition our project deserves :)

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQL.fr