Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 06/26/2013 06:08 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 06:38:04PM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
>> Anyone have any insight into what's going on with this
>> Salesforce-Oracle love connection?  Seems kind of odd to hire Tom
>> and a bunch of other guys, then announce a 9-year commitment to
>> Oracle a few weeks later....
>
> Well, logic suggests that Salesforce was considering moving to Postgres
> but, either because they got a good deal from Oracle or they were just
> bluffing about moving to Postgres, they are no longer considering it.
> The size, scope, publicity, and duration of the deal support this
> conclusion:

I seriously doubt they were bluffing. They are instead likely realizing
what a major undertaking it will be for them to migrate. A migration to
PostgreSQL for Salesforce is not just about rewriting queries. They are
going to need to modify postgresql itself. I bet it is a 5 year project
minimum for them to migrate.

Further, just because they are using Oracle doesn't mean they aren't
using PostgreSQL.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579